Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I have a question. Is there any reason why the pencil wouldn't be compatible with the iPad Air 2? I assume it is bluetooth and the iPad Pro doesn't have any type of special screen as far as I know.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The problems with the iPad pro and pencil for me are that firstly the pencil will be rendered useless by updates - in three year's time the built-in obsolescence lag you get on all iPhones/pads will make it far from practical compared to the usual slow reactions of swipes and presses you get on the other devices. Secondly the iPad will never really be "Pro" with no accessible folder structure for storing work projects and the like, it's just too locked down for anything remotely complex.

Reactions: likwidplastik

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The problems with the iPad pro and pencil for me are that firstly the pencil will be rendered useless by updates - in three year's time the built-in obsolescence lag you get on all iPhones/pads will make it far from practical compared to the usual slow reactions of swipes and presses you get on the other devices. Secondly the iPad will never really be "Pro" with no accessible folder structure for storing work projects and the like, it's just too locked down for anything remotely complex.

So you can't complete a project because you can't see a /User/Jimrod/Documents/ folder? Riaghhht ok.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
The Wacom Classic Pen that I use costs around $70, is made of cheap rubberized plastic, has no internal battery and uses replaceable "nibs" that wear down very quickly, requiring constant replacement. It only works with 2 models of Wacom products, which at minimum cost $250 for a small slab of plastic with 8 buttons, no screen, and a usable surface about as big as the iPad mini. The drivers for these Wacom products are so poorly maintained, that for over 2 years now, scrollbars in photoshop and keyframes in After Effects get "stuck" to the cursor, require multiple clicks and redos on a consistent basis. Wacom recently introduced an accessory remote with 17 blank, user defineable buttons, for the low price of $100. What you see as overpriced, I see as Wacom finally having some competition to drive their miserable prices down and their poor quality up.

I appreciate this post mostly because I have zero point of reference on this subject and all I've seen here is complaints about the price. This actually uses facts and comparing and contrasting to illustrate, no pun, the place this holds in the market. It seems like Wacom, arguably the only one in the market, has done nothing to update its products.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Is there any reason why the pencil wouldn't be compatible with the iPad Air 2? I assume it is bluetooth and the iPad Pro doesn't have any type of special screen as far as I know.

I was under the impression that the iPad Pro has special sensors in the screen.

I thought they mentioned something about it in the keynote.

Reactions: Roadstar

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
I really hope the Apple Pencil will be compatible with new iPad Air and Mini models next year. I love my iPad Mini and don't want a bigger iPad, but I'd love to use an Apple Pencil with it. It would be worth he upgrade to next year's Mini model if it would support the Pencil.
I agree. It would be a nice accessory as the iPad Pro is also too big for me.

Be fun to use it with my Mini for quick notes or drawing.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It's certainly the best device stylus I've ever used but I wouldn't consider it an incredible tool for artists -- it's just not accurate enough unfortunately. Great for writing notes and sketching but for full out digital art it doesn't quite fit the bill.

Reactions: psidentity

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Please don't compare it to Wacom. Wacom's sensitivity is million times better, and it has pen incline detection, which really makes it a professional product. And Wacom pens start from $30, up to $70 for advanced models. Apple pencil is a toy

ha! a "toy"! thats new, original, and insightful criticism right there....not at all a tired troll-trope, is it?

it's a toy if all you do is play with it. it's a real tool if that's what you use it for. tons of pros have reviewed it and said its the best digital thing theyve ever drawn with.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I really hope the next iPad is compatible with the pencil. I don't want to lug around a giant 13" tablet just to be able to draw effectively with it. Adobe's Ink never quite worked out for me on the Air 2. Does anyone know if it works well with the Mini 4?

I think at the very least they should offer a smaller, 9.7" Pro model. Faster processor and/or more RAM, Apple Pencil support, dock, make it $100-$150 more than the Air 2/3 or whatever so it's priced between.

The only thing right now that makes the iPad Pro a "Pro" device is that you have to buy a $100 stylus or $150 keyboard. And even those features are half-baked—for instance iOS still doesn't work well with keyboards. Things that you would expect to work don't. Can't even do basic stuff like scroll Safari with the arrow keys while browsing. You have to hold your hand out towards the display. Isn't that exactly why Steve Jobs said that Macs shouldn't have touch screens? All the keyboard shortcuts are very limited. I can't even tap a new tab without needing to tap inside the URL box to start typing a URL. This needs to be fixed for all iPads.

As for software there is absolutely nothing that makes the Pro any better than any other iPad. I'm glad I didn't pick this one up. I was really tempted because I've wanted to use the iPad to do heavy lifting creative stuff for years. Ironically with iOS 9 and recent app updates like Coda and Tweetbot, along with apps like Lightroom, Duet, Office and Pixelmator make my Air 2 more "Pro" than it has ever been. I just really want to use this pencil.

Here's what it boils down to for me: If you're a person who draws you want to draw on your iPad because you take it with you everywhere and it's easy to share your creations. You tote it between meetings around town, marking up thumbnail sketches or wireframes in meetings. You use it in the coffee shop. You kick back with it in the park, on the couch, in bed. Most people won't be carrying the iPad Pro with them everywhere, which makes the pencil much less useful. Right now it seems to be marketed as a Wacom Cintique replacement, which is kinda weird as that's such a niche thing and those users typically need more horsepower and better software than what the Pro provides.

The iPad Pro is just very confusing to me—especially as I consider myself the target market for such a device. I really want to like it, but it's just too big and too simple right now. I think there's potential, but there is a lot of work ahead and I'm tired of beta testing crap for Apple. I'm just done. I've done it with just about every device over the past 8 years and it's starting to burn me out. The iPhone 6 Plus was really the straw that broke my back. The slow and glitchy Apple Watch apps rubs salt in the wound. The 6s made up some ground until my phone started freezing up during the night with a burning hot home button, making me miss my alarms for work. At least the replacement is working fine and I love it otherwise. I've got the ATV4 on my Christmas list and I'm worried about the bugs I've been reading about with playback issues and general instability. Maybe I'll get an iPad Pro next year, if they make it in a reasonable size, just to get a decent drawing experience out of the iPad line. For now I'm just happy to have mostly stable devices, besides my iPad Air 2 not wanting to update apps automatically any more, hanging during the install process. It's always something!

Reactions: lionsy and AppleWes

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
I really hope the next iPad is compatible with the pencil. I don't want to lug around a giant 13" tablet just to be able to draw effectively with it. Adobe's Ink never quite worked out for me on the Air 2. Does anyone know if it works well with the Mini 4?

i think a pro mini if this goes well is not out of the question.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Looking forward to get it. Though I would wish apple would consider making it available for OSX as well. Either as an app which splitscreen/mirror your mac and lets the pressure data come across, or like a tablet for OSX computers. If they did Wacom would be out of business.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Please don't compare it to Wacom. Wacom's sensitivity is million times better, and it has pen incline detection, which really makes it a professional product. And Wacom pens start from $30, up to $70 for advanced models. Apple pencil is a toy

You and everyone else has no idea the levels of pressure sensitivity on the Apple Pencil. But for comparison sake:
Wacom= 2048
Surface=256

AND the Apple pencil has incline detection BTW.

Reactions: saschke and Huck

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I have a question. Is there any reason why the pencil wouldn't be compatible with the iPad Air 2? I assume it is bluetooth and the iPad Pro doesn't have any type of special screen as far as I know.

Will the Apple Pencil work with the iPhone 6 or any of the older iPads?

I wish there was a sticky to deal with this question because people keep asking it, not understanding how the iPad Pro and Pencil work together.

The answer is a definitive NO! For one thing, the refresh rate is too slow on other devices. When the pencil comes in contact with the iPad Pro, it ramps up the screen refresh rate so that you get the smooth interaction. The pencil also is not just a passive stylus. It broadcasts detailed information about its position. That's how you get the shading etc. when you put it on its side. There are many more reasons why it can't and won't work with any existing devices. Future versions of different iPad models may work, but it is not just Apple being d**** about it. It really is a hardware limitation.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

Uhm, according to everything I read, including impressions from Disney and Pixar artists, the apple pen is more accurate than Wacom in all ways. And, as a professional artist myself I got to say that Wacoms precision isnt all that great, I dont even use the tilt feature and Cintiq tablets that cost more than the iPad Pro has about half a centimeter gap from the drawing surface to the screen with a nice and dim coating killing a lot of the color and contrast fidelity. So no, you are wrong!

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Now Apple justified the $100 price tag of the Pencil. Obviously they're harder to make the iPad Pro.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
Uhm, according to everything I read, including impressions from Disney and Pixar artists, the apple pen is more accurate than Wacom in all ways. And, as a professional artist myself I got to say that Wacoms precision isnt all that great, I dont even use the tilt feature and Cintiq tablets that cost more than the iPad Pro has about half a centimeter gap from the drawing surface to the screen with a nice and dim coating killing a lot of the color and contrast fidelity. So no, you are wrong!

don't forget about how wobbly the nibs are. and the eventual ink blops

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.