Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I have the click + beep

• Yes - 6/09 MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 64 58.7%
  • No - 6/09 MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Yes - earlier MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • No - earlier MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I would call say you will not accept this computer and are not happy with your purchase, then insist you talk to a Tier 2 person then ask them to let you speak to their supervisor. They never refused to escalate my call, and this is the first thing I should have done instead of wasting my time talking to people with no power (Live and learn).

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
All I'll say is this experience blows away the notion that paying the 'apple tax' gets you a premium quality computer with the best support and customer care in the industry.

Support is woeful, secretive, unhelpful and generally you get the feeling they are trying to cover things up long enough to figure out if they can fix this with a software update. If they can't, they probably want to avoid the scenario where they have to do a product recall on defective units. (for as long as possible)

I have to be honest I have received better support from Dell call centers in India than what Apple is able to provide on this issue. And if they think computer lock ups several times a day spanning 30-40 seconds is "normal performance", then they should shut up about Windows Vista being rubbish. Because I can tell you, the 17" MBP I have with this issue is at least equal to the very worst days of running Windows ME on one of my desktops.

nikiski

macrumors regular
But...

Personally... I think it's the Seagate drive's problem. I own two and one makes "click-clunk" sound and the other makes both the "click-clunk" sound and the "click-beep-click" sound. Both are ST9500420AS (No motion sensor). The first one is used in a SR MBP 2.4GHz and the second in an external enclosure.

With the second one being an external, it doesn't matter which computer I plug into... PCs and Macs alike. It still makes the noise.

I have given up on trying to replace them until Seagate public acknowledges and provides a permanent fix for the problem.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
All I'll say is this experience blows away the notion that paying the 'apple tax' gets you a premium quality computer with the best support and customer care in the industry.

Support is woeful, secretive, unhelpful and generally you get the feeling they are trying to cover things up long enough to figure out if they can fix this with a software update. If they can't, they probably want to avoid the scenario where they have to do a product recall on defective units. (for as long as possible)

I have to be honest I have received better support from Dell call centers in India than what Apple is able to provide on this issue. And if they think computer lock ups several times a day spanning 30-40 seconds is "normal performance", then they should shut up about Windows Vista being rubbish. Because I can tell you, the 17" MBP I have with this issue is at least equal to the very worst days of running Windows ME on one of my desktops.

I wholeheartedly agree!!!

This is my first Apple product since the 80s/early 90s, and I am disappointed thus far. They obviously have great stuff going on here, but quality control and customer service is absolutely horrid.

All they need to do is get a new HDD supplier, and treat the customer well.

I don't know how many more ignored emails/calls I can take before I end up flying to Cupertino and choking someone out.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
^ No, they have not fixed this.
The 7200RPM drives still beep if you get the model with a the G-Force sensor, which at this point seem to be most of the MBP's being shipped.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Well the odds are not in your favor, you can take the chance but I wouldn't do it again.
Of the three MBP's Apple sent me before I just told them to send me the 5400RPM drive, 2 had the G-Force sensor and 1 did not but had bad RAM.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Go to the Upper left and clip on the Apple > About this Mac > More Info
Click Serial-ATA on the side bar and see if your hard drive model number has a G at the end or not.

jpur

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I have the same model number as above, and mine just started beeping today. WTF?

flashcrosma

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
queens, new york
sigh...

my 3 weeks old 15" macbook pro with 5400rmp 250gb (it's strange that the statistics of the capacity of this HD shown in the preference is 299gb! i got 49gb free from charge?:D) just started to have click sound on my first time of use!:eek: but i don't find out there is anywhere wrong for the this "machine" even with this randomly sound because the HD works without fault as well as the macbook pro is not very hot after 4 hours use! btw, i just hear this click sound in a very quite room, otherwise, i nearly couldn't hear this sound!

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I set up a 2.8 CTO 17 inch MBP today... 500GB 7200rpm Seagate drive... click and beep. Agh. Wish I'd seen this thread before going for the 7200rpm drive (not my machine, bought for the business).

Has anyone's drive actually failed yet after hearing these noises though? I'm not sure if I've seen any freezing yet.

Considering my options now... I really don't like the thought of sending back the whole machine just for a weird noise that might be in the replacement.

Thinking of buying a replacement and sticking this one in an enclosure until there's a fix, if and when there is...

DGrau

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
I just joined the forum so that I can add my $0.02, and continue the bad public press against Apple until they can freely admit there is a problem. I'm sick of seeing others get the same run-around, with stupid responses like "it's normal behavior", and lack of resolution after 3 weeks of complaints.

I have a writeup of my full experience so far, only my blog here: http://justindustin.livejournal.com/381260.html

I am currently waiting on my first replacement MBP, but I don't have high hopes of that one being any better.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
MBP #1 - 7200rpm issues - returned
MBP #2 - 7200rpm issues - returned
MBP #3 - 7200rpm issues - set up to be returned.
MBP #4 - Replacement order altered to 5400rpm drive, with credit of difference and a potential Apple good will gesture that might just cover the costs of sorting this mess out, but no more...

As advised on the Apple support thread, once you've called through the automated number to the returns section, ask to be put through to tier 2. Saved me half an hour, and eventually put through to a tier 2 manager (though not mentioning at the time her role).
So Tier 2 managers are either tight lipped or not knowing or both about the issue for Apple Operations Europe...

As a UK customer you've got consumer rights, rights associated with a credit card purchase, and the 14 day period that will basically cover you if you specifically request a replacement. Consumer rights for a MacBook Pro, are like other goods - it should be of satisfactory quality, as described, fit for purpose, and last a reasonable length of time.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
MBP #1 - 7200rpm issues - returned
MBP #2 - 7200rpm issues - returned
MBP #3 - 7200rpm issues - set up to be returned.
MBP #4 - Replacement order altered to 5400rpm drive, with credit of difference and a potential Apple good will gesture that might just cover the costs of sorting this mess out, but no more...

As advised on the Apple support thread, once you've called through the automated number to the returns section, ask to be put through to tier 2. Saved me half an hour, and eventually put through to a tier 2 manager (though not mentioning at the time her role).
So Tier 2 managers are either tight lipped or not knowing or both about the issue for Apple Operations Europe...

As a UK customer you've got consumer rights, rights associated with a credit card purchase, and the 14 day period that will basically cover you if you specifically request a replacement. Consumer rights for a MacBook Pro, are like other goods - it should be of satisfactory quality, as described, fit for purpose, and last a reasonable length of time.

I was in exactly the same situation. I am not happy about downgrading to a 5400RPM drive, but it has worked very well so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.