Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I have the click + beep

• Yes - 6/09 MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 64 58.7%
  • No - 6/09 MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Yes - earlier MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • No - earlier MBP with 7200 rpm drive

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
Add me to the list of people who has gotten two 500gb 7200 drives in a row inside MBP 17" CTOs that do this clunk/knock beep thing. I had previous Seagate drives that made a little beep when they parked, but this is different and doens't even happen in the times the drive would be parking. It happens even when the drive is in the middle of doing things. It is a very bizarre sound as if something is knocking around on the inside of the drive, and then the loud beep. The wav file posted in this thread is the sound, except in the wave it doesn't capture the resonance and bass knock of it. It starts with a little click, a change in the motor sound, a knock that sounds strangely like a wood mallet knocking on a hollow wood tube, and then ends with a beep. The whole process takes one or two seconds. It sounds really bad - sounds you don't want to be hearing from your hard drive.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Does 10.5.8 solve the problem?

Edit - No. Is anyone who's got a 7,200rpm tried going from Leopard to Snow Leopard - can you get these click beeps with Snow Leopard?

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I have the hitachi 250gb with the 13 inch macbook pro and the only noise i get is when i pick up the laptop and i get a clicking noise coming from the hard drive, i dont ever hear it make any other noise though apart from the fan occasionally when it gets hot.

JimmyChen

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
I just got my Macbook pro three days ago. Everything work excellent and hard drive was quiet. Nothing bad until this morning... I switch the graphic card to 9400 and it freeze. I shut it down then never turn on again. I bring it to apple store and they told me that the hard drive was broke. So they are going to replace it with a new hard drive tomorrow. Hopefully it will work. :)

jpur

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
A possible solution

Ok,

I know enough about computers to know that what I am about to say doesn't make too much sense. However, I think this has finally solved all of my hard drive issues. I have a June 09 MBP with the stock 7200 RPM drive. I have had issues with random beachballs since I first started using the machine, and just last week I started having the dreaded click and beep.

After repairing permissions several times, I also removed Peer Guardian because it seemed to be causing many of the problems. After this, I installed the new 10.5.8 update and then reset my PRAM two times in a row. Basically, I held down command option p and r for three startup noises.

I haven't had one random freeze/beachball or click-beep all afternoon of heavy use. Hooray!

DGrau

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
Quick Update

I just wanted to share on this forum that I received my 1st replacement uMBP from Apple on Monday of this week, and it had a newer firmware revision on the HDD: 0007APM2. It was a like replacement, so it had the same Seagate 500GB 7200RPM G-Shock HDD, but with the alternate firmware. I have been running for 2.5 days and have yet to have a single click/beep--this thing has been absolutely silent! Good luck to anyone else still having this issue--continue to pressure Apple into replacing your machine, and hope for the new firmware if you do.

kashkha

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
I just wanted to share on this forum that I received my 1st replacement uMBP from Apple on Monday of this week, and it had a newer firmware revision on the HDD: 0007APM2. It was a like replacement, so it had the same Seagate 500GB 7200RPM G-Shock HDD, but with the alternate firmware. I have been running for 2.5 days and have yet to have a single click/beep--this thing has been absolutely silent! Good luck to anyone else still having this issue--continue to pressure Apple into replacing your machine, and hope for the new firmware if you do.

I just got my replacement yesterday and noticed that it had the new revision (0007APM2) I haven't heard any beeps yet (it's been less than 24 hrs), so I'm hoping for the best.

I'll let everyone know if it beeps again.

vader26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Seattle
You guys are lucky to have gotten a replacement. They tell me that a replacement won't necessarily stop whats going on so i'm out of luck and stuck with a defective laptop. Thanks a ton Apple.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Picked up a 2.8GHz 17" unibody mbp (antiglare) 2 days ago and no beeping noise whatsoever. Used it for 2 days straight in my quiet room all night, no sounds whatsoever.

But then I did replace the stock 500gb hdd for a hitachi travelstar 7200rpm 320gb hdd. Would that make any difference?

sdragon

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Picked up a 2.8GHz 17" unibody mbp (antiglare) 2 days ago and no beeping noise whatsoever. Used it for 2 days straight in my quiet room all night, no sounds whatsoever.

But then I did replace the stock 500gb hdd for a hitachi travelstar 7200rpm 320gb hdd. Would that make any difference?

Rumor is it's a problem with the drive so... yes.

I know a couple people interested in making a purchase soon and we've all heard of this. What's the going advice, go with the 5400RPM model?

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Happy to hear the replacement are working better. I complained again today and they are finally sending me a replacement, waiting on the confirmation email.

Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

kashkha

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
You guys are lucky to have gotten a replacement. They tell me that a replacement won't necessarily stop whats going on so i'm out of luck and stuck with a defective laptop. Thanks a ton Apple.

I wouldn't call it lucky, my MBP had clicking fans (which Apple care made worse) and a defective optical drive in addition to the drive problems.

jackifus

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Sylvania
Apple Tech acknowledged issue ...

I just got off the phone with an Apple tech - because my machine wouldn't wake from sleep ...

Anyhoo - I mentioned that the hard drive beeped ... and he said that Apple engineers are working on it - and to keep my machine updated ...

just an FYI - literally - just off the phone...

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
Long story short, Seagate is the suck with this 7200rpm drive.

Mine clicked and beeped. Once or twice a day. Then one time it wouldn't boot. I was able to boot into single user mode. After running fsck about 4 times, it finally repaired the filesystem to a bootable point. Ran S.M.A.R.T. short and long selftests. Both failed within the first 10% of the tests. Downloaded AppleCare's TechTool Deluxe. Surface scan resulted in errors detected.

My local Apple store is like a 7 day turn around for anything. Plus I don't have a chance to zero out my personal data. I called AppleCare 1-800 number. Got a replacement drive sent to me. After I got off the phone, to my surprise, the tech upgraded my replacement drive shipment to next-day air by 1030am. I have had the new drive for 5 days now. Not one click or beep. All S.M.A.R.T. tests pass. And I was able to zero out the working sectors on the old drive before sending it back to Apple (using the pre-paid shipping label and box that came with the replacement)

Additionally, I had the same drive from newegg for a 13" Unibody Macbook. It died within a week.. Seagate took 5 days to ship a replacement. They said they were backordered on RMA replacement drives for the 7200rpm model.. The replacement is still going strong today. Seagate most of had some bad manufacturing errors or something in the beginning...

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Of note - CNET has an Apple Rep going on record about the issue here:

We are aware of the issue and are working on a software update," Apple representative Bill Evans, told CNET News on Monday. He gave no time frame for the release of the software update.

The 30 second odd system beachballing that some are getting isn't mentioned.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
What kind of drive did they send?

The same model as before.

Here is something that might be interesting though.

February - Buy 500GB 7200RPM drive from newegg for 13" uMB.
Has light green motherboard on HDD. It fails and needs RMA. RMA through Seagate. Replacement drive has blue motherboard on bottom side. Drive is still working fine after months.

June 2009 - Buy 17" MBP. Drive has same light green motherboard bottom. Apple's replacement drive has blue motherboard.

Coincidence? or does the blue board indicate newer models from seagate without the problems? I wish I wrote down the serial number of the first drive from newegg. Both replacement drives have serials within the last 4 digits of each other.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
Btw, mine is getting worse, too... tempted to go down the SSD route, does anybody know if the 128 SSD model is 'worth' it (meaning no issues and fast :))
thx

I am waiting for the 2nd generation Intel SSDs ... the 160GB for $440 to reach retailers. newegg should have them by the end of the month. Pretty sure I am going to spring for one of those :)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
The same model as before.

Here is something that might be interesting though.

February - Buy 500GB 7200RPM drive from newegg for 13" uMB.
Has light green motherboard on HDD. It fails and needs RMA. RMA through Seagate. Replacement drive has blue motherboard on bottom side. Drive is still working fine after months.

June 2009 - Buy 17" MBP. Drive has same light green motherboard bottom. Apple's replacement drive has blue motherboard.

Coincidence? or does the blue board indicate newer models from seagate without the problems? I wish I wrote down the serial number of the first drive from newegg. Both replacement drives have serials within the last 4 digits of each other.

Maybe a questino for those upgrading there drive or having a repair done - shouldn't be too hard to check with the number of folk upgrading their drives, or having issues and getting them replaced.

ThePattern

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just got my new MBP in today, haven't fired it up yet. Is there any way to check right away if I have the issue? Like some firmware version for the SMS or hard drive?

Also, some people are saying that brand new ones (ones shipped within the last few weeks) have a fix implemented. Is this true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.