Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Mine arrived from Logitech today.

Had one glitch where I was getting a weird mix of unprompted keypress repeats and lack of responsiveness. Called Logitech, got straight through to a real person who immediately asked if I was using it while it was charging. Said yes, and he advised that poor grounding could cause the problem. Unplugged, and sure enough it then worked perfectly.

I get the same issue, just not as bad, when using it with the iPad plugged in. Again, unplug it and it works perfectly. This is a minor pain as I keep the iPad plugged in next to my Mac on my desk when in the office, but not a massive issue.

Otherwise, it seems great. I'm away all next week with just my iPad rather than MBP, so that will be a good test. Will report back afterwards.

Ben

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
I have read before that is also will be a white version

Hold on a sec. Let me check the Logitech site..............No.

Thanks for the sardonic and informative answer. I remember that I have read somewhere (during the spring time) that this keyboard case also will have a white model, so perhaps it's just a matter of time (and patience)? Anyone who knows?

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Can anyone confirm whether the keyboard's magnets work with a back case with a large smart cover cut-out like a Belkin Snap Shield Secure or Switcheasy Coverbuddy? I mean whether I can keep the back cover on and put the ipad into the keyboard's groove and have it click into place with magnets? I know the iLounge review said it doesn't work with back cases but I was thinking maybe the Coverbuddy would work since it leaves such a large area uncovered for the SmartCover hinge..

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Can anyone confirm whether the keyboard's magnets work with a back case with a large smart cover cut-out like a Belkin Snap Shield Secure or Switcheasy Coverbuddy? I mean whether I can keep the back cover on and put the ipad into the keyboard's groove and have it click into place with magnets? I know the iLounge review said it doesn't work with back cases but I was thinking maybe the Coverbuddy would work since it leaves such a large area uncovered for the SmartCover hinge..

All you have to do is read through the thread you posted in...

Scored and cut the smart lock end off my i-Blason so I could use it with my new Logitech thin keyboard. The i-Blason was the thinnest back case I could find outside of a skin. I ordered a cheap HHI leather skin (http://amzn.to/IXaWVY) that I'm going to trim to fit the back of the Logitech keyboard. Should work nicely. Famous last words, I'm sure :)

Here's a link to my setup so far: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjz9sYYf

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
All you have to do is read through the thread you posted in...

I did read it, but thanks for the condescension. I'm not completely comfortable with modding a case myself, especially considering all the reports of how fragile the back cases are and how easily they crack. I was wondering if anything with a larger cut-out that does not lock in the Smart Cover might work. I asked specifically about the larger cut-out case by Switcheasy because I wondered if that mod you linked to would be unnecessary.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I did read it, but thanks for the condescension. I'm not completely comfortable with modding a case myself, especially considering all the reports of how fragile the back cases are and how easily they crack. I was wondering if anything with a larger cut-out that does not lock in the Smart Cover might work. I asked specifically about the larger cut-out case by Switcheasy because I wondered if that mod you linked to would be unnecessary.

Trust me, I'm not better than you. Sometimes a late post doesn't express due diligence was done. Anyway, the Incase worked, which is one of thicker cases, thicker than the Coverbuddy. Was going to buy the Coverbuddy, already had the i-Blason. Read the Coverbuddy has a strange smell. Weird, so I passed. All of them will weaken the magnet strength in the groove that holds the iPad. So, to answer your question, yes, the Belkin and Switcheasy cases should work. I've had them both and they are thinner than the Incase. All this said, a skin would be best. I put a carbon fiber HHI skin on the back of my iPad just to have an option. My i-Blason fits over it perfectly.

I say go for it.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Trust me, I'm not better than you. Sometimes a late post doesn't express due diligence was done. Anyway, the Incase worked, which is one of thicker cases, thicker than the Coverbuddy. Was going to buy the Coverbuddy, already had the i-Blason. Read the Coverbuddy has a strange smell. Weird, so I passed. All of them will weaken the magnet strength in the groove that holds the iPad. So, to answer your question, yes, the Belkin and Switcheasy cases should work. I've had them both and they are thinner than the Incase. All this said, a skin would be best. I put a carbon fiber HHI skin on the back of my iPad just to have an option. My i-Blason fits over it perfectly.

I say go for it.

Thanks, I definitely am trying to decide whether I should just go with a skin or an invisible shield or something instead of a back case to make full use of this keyboard cover.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Thanks, I definitely am trying to decide whether I should just go with a skin or an invisible shield or something instead of a back case to make full use of this keyboard cover.

I'd just get both. You can get an HHI skin off Amazon for $5 or so dollars and then there are a bunch of back shells that are cheaper too. If you don't like them, Amazon is great with returns.

stothebear

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
started shipping in Norway today. so should be in the UK aswell. We never get anything before you gyes :p

uscmba02

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Mine arrived from Logitech today.

Had one glitch where I was getting a weird mix of unprompted keypress repeats and lack of responsiveness. Called Logitech, got straight through to a real person who immediately asked if I was using it while it was charging. Said yes, and he advised that poor grounding could cause the problem. Unplugged, and sure enough it then worked perfectly.

I get the same issue, just not as bad, when using it with the iPad plugged in. Again, unplug it and it works perfectly. This is a minor pain as I keep the iPad plugged in next to my Mac on my desk when in the office, but not a massive issue.

Otherwise, it seems great. I'm away all next week with just my iPad rather than MBP, so that will be a good test. Will report back afterwards.

Ben

I experienced this exact same scenario. This thing is great.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Is the lack of viewing angles not a issue? It's the one thing making me hold back from ordering one and waiting for the Brydge.

Breezer23

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Is the lack of viewing angles not a issue? It's the one thing making me hold back from ordering one and waiting for the Brydge.

I hadn't heard of "The Brydge". Super cool, albeit, a bit expensive. I am definitely going to hold out on buying a keyboard until I see some reviews of this case/keyboard.

Thanks for the heads up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.