Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
If the 13" rMBP had 1440x900 native resolution, I would consider it. I think the retina screen is nice to look at. But I'm not a fan of 1280x800. It would also be more appealing if it had a quad core cpu. I wish I liked the rMBP better, it is a nice machine, but currently the MBA is the best fit for me.

This is a stupid question, but what's the problem setting the resolution on the rMBP to 1440x900?

That's what I run mine at.

Chalifornia

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Oxfordshire
Could anyone comment on how sturdy the MBA is vs. the rMBP? I have a 2010 MBA and now have marks on the display from the keyboard. It has been in my bag traveling in a cool bananas memory foam sleeve, but has still been marked.
I went to an apple store and the new Airs seemed to have even flimsier display assemblies. Can anyone compare?

mangotears

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Could anyone comment on how sturdy the MBA is vs. the rMBP? I have a 2010 MBA and now have marks on the display from the keyboard. It has been in my bag traveling in a cool bananas memory foam sleeve, but has still been marked.
I went to an apple store and the new Airs seemed to have even flimsier display assemblies. Can anyone compare?

I've carried my 13" 2013 MBA in my bag for almost 2 years and it hasn't been a problem. A foam sleeve won't help redistribute pressure towards the outer edges of the display... in most usage scenarios, it'll do more harm than good.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Great stuff, everyone. I need to get to an apple store soon and check each one out. As you all saw, a lot of our usage will be with the unit sitting on a table plugged in so that screams rMPB. But, when you want portability and battery life the MBA is king. This all started with me being convinced that an iPad air was best for us but we need a full system in the house. Can't just do tablets, that won't cut it for us. So, the MBA was the closest thing to iPad lightness and battery life with some actual computing power.

Wish I could get one of each.... That's the best solution, right? :D

I came off a 15" rMBPro to a base bodel 11" Air - best move I ever made.
no regrets whatsoever …

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I came off a 15" rMBPro to a base bodel 11" Air - best move I ever made.
no regrets whatsoever …

This is what I'm currently in the process of doing. Just sold my 2012 15" rMBP, and I'll be purchasing the base model 11" MBA in its place.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

I don't think it's as sturdy, obviously. My display assembly is fine though. I've seen people with the marks you are talking about though. I can't see any leeway with the lid close on my machine.

For original topic... I've always preferred the Air over the MBP since I got it. The only thing I miss is the black bezel around the screen.

w00d

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
This is a stupid question, but what's the problem setting the resolution on the rMBP to 1440x900?

That's what I run mine at.

I am referring to the 13" rMBP which is what I was comparing to the 13" MBA.
I know you can scale the resolution to 1440x900 but that is not the native (and most crisp) setting for the 13".

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I am referring to the 13" rMBP which is what I was comparing to the 13" MBA.
I know you can scale the resolution to 1440x900 but that is not the native (and most crisp) setting for the 13".

OK, I don't notice any difference in crispness between resolutions really to be honest.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Nope. Actually had the top of the line new 2013 MBP 13" for about a week and returned it. My 2013 ultimate 11" Air was faster in everyday tasks and ran much cooler. Yes, the MBP retina screen was better when they were side by side but to be honest it gave me a headache working on it all day. With the right profile the MBA screen works well for me. I really like the form factor and size and use it all day.

Assuming the text wasn't too small for you, the brightness may have been set too high. It's a common source of computer headaches.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I wish I had more than 128gb of space in my Air, but otherwise I find it to be better than the rMBP in every way. The screen has more real-estate, the computer is lighter and thinner, and it doesn't have the ugly black border.

I'd like to say that the rMBP has a better keyboard, but the key depth is just as shallow on it, and power wise it isn't any better than the air. My girlfriend is considering trading me her rMBP for my Air, and I'm inclined to say no. I think that says it all.

w00d

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
OK, I don't notice any difference in crispness between resolutions really to be honest.

If you don't notice a difference, that's great! But try looking really really closely at the mouse cursor in the two resolutions. Or not. Maybe you're better off if you don't see it. :)

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
If you don't notice a difference, that's great! But try looking really really closely at the mouse cursor in the two resolutions. Or not. Maybe you're better off if you don't see it. :)

OK thanks. I'll look closer.

abuleban

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
should have gotten the base

went from an 11" 2011 to a 11" 2013 model; love it, but should have gotten the base model & saved some $$. But, alas, hindsight is 20/20!

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
The 13" MBA is plenty sharp for me, and most reviews say the latest graphics performance is better on the MBA than the 13" MBP (The Verge and others have reported this). And, the "native" multipliers of the 13" Retina display don't have enough vertical lines for me. If I can't use a native resolution multiplier, the extra cost of the MBP isn't worth it to me.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I have the rMBP and just ordered a refurbed MBA. I will be returning the rMBP and keeping the 13" Air.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
The 13" MBA is plenty sharp for me, and most reviews say the latest graphics performance is better on the MBA than the 13" MBP (The Verge and others have reported this). And, the "native" multipliers of the 13" Retina display don't have enough vertical lines for me. If I can't use a native resolution multiplier, the extra cost of the MBP isn't worth it to me.

Running at the same resolutions, the gaming/graphics performance is better on the rMBP vs the MBA (2013 models).

dean1012

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
A few years ago, I bought a brand new mid-2010 Macbook Pro from an Apple Store. It was the 17" screen and I had it upgraded to 8 GB of RAM, all else was stock...

At the time, it was pretty damn fast even without an SSD. It could handle anything I threw at it, including games (thanks to the dedicated GFX card).

But, while I was happy with the performance I found it entirely too bulky to use in a variety of situations (IE, non-portable). My work desk didn't have enough room to comfortably set the laptop on, it was unwielding to put on my lap, not comfortable at the coffee shop or cafe.... almost impossible for me to use in the bed at night... You get the point.

I recently needed an Apple again (I had sold that one) and was stuck with a decision between Macbook Pro and Macbook Air.

I chose the Air and haven't looked back.

Moral of the story... if you truly need a dedicated GFX card, go with a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. If you do not, the MBA will most likely suffice.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
Wish I'd waited couple of months instead of buying my MBA, but at the time they were offering £70 gift card, bit hard to pass that up, but on the plus side, I can sell my MBA for the same amount I bought it. (Gotta love the resale value of these machines, it's even better when you factor in discounts.)

Eventually, I'll get my hands on that 13" rMBP, or maybe a 2012/early 2013 15" rMBP if I can find one going for around 1.3k, (saw it pop up on refurb store once.)

Played around with 13" and 15" rMBP in store (with resolution scaled to 1650x1080 and 1920x1200), it was just amazing.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
The 2013 macbook airs are nice. Ive had the option to switch to retina but after giving it some thought ive decided to stay with the air. Its just a fantastic machine.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I've carried my 13" 2013 MBA in my bag for almost 2 years and it hasn't been a problem. A foam sleeve won't help redistribute pressure towards the outer edges of the display... in most usage scenarios, it'll do more harm than good.

You've carried your 2013 MBA for two years? That's impressive, are you a time traveller? ;)

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I prefer the Air due to portability. I would get tired of lagging the Pro around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.