Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Nicee

I still rather pay that money and watch my shows on my laptop or tv. But its good to see that we are able to access HBO through our mobile devices and iPads.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
HBO is called Sky Atlantic here in the UK. I believe you can get Now TV which includes Sky Atlantic and other channels for £6.99 a month which has an app on the Apple TV, and other devices as well as a stand alone box.

Sky Atlantic is not HBO. I'd be happy giving money to HBO, I would not be happy giving money to the Murdochs.

Seanthesheep

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Not available in UK

This service is not available in the UK and boy did I have to do a load of faffing around just to get it working:

1) Change my apple store from UK to USA.
2) Pick some random address in USA (Apple thinks I live in Boston hehe).
3) Change the app store to USA and download HBO go.
4) Enable VPN so that it looks like I'm based in USA, according to HBO my pc is in New York.
5) Finally I can play Game of Thrones!!!!

Last edited:

ab1

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
HBO Now in the UK on Apple TV

Just for completeness, although this has been written up elsewhere, this is the general process to make it work in the UK:

(1) Create our own US mail drop address (e.g. http://www.shipito.com/ or use a fake one)
(2) Create iTunes US Store account
(3) Purchase iTunes US gift card (e.g. offgamers.com)
(4) Load your gift card onto the iTunes account
(5) Change your ATV to use your US account and switch stores (in settings)
(6) Configure geo-bypass for HBO Now (e.g. https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy)[n1]
(7) Enjoy!

-- ab1

[n1] This is a Netflix-proxy-in-a-box solution I put together using open source software and Docker. It will work just the same, as long as you add hbonow.com to the relevant config files along side netflix.com.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.