Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
0% of HBOGo/Now is live streamed.

Last year Game of Thrones was available basically right when the show started. All 7 billion people on Earth may have been watching and crashing the servers, but it was available to give a try.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Shows such as GOT will not be available to stream at the same moment the show begins airing live on TV. But should be available to stream before the episode finishes on live TV.
Then I will sign up now! :)

If you sign up towards the end of April, you could get seven of the ten episodes (by my calculatin') of GoT in the free 30 day trial.

4/12
4/19
4/26
5/3
5/10
5/17
5/24

So we have until the end of April to sign up? Cool. I don't think I can wait tho. I need to see Game Of Thrones for some reason as soon as it airs, lol.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Edit: Got it! It didn't like the special character in my password (despite saying that you can use them). I redid the initial setup and picked a different password and it's working now :)

And after all that, I got home from work, tried to watch something... only to find that it's not supported by my ISP's "Global Mode" service :(

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Oh, the irony. "HBO Now" does not show you what's on HBO now.

No, there's not a live feed, but when I used HBO GO I'm pretty sure when a movie or new episode premiered it was available to stream online at the same time. It also gave me access to all the content currently running on their channels that month, whether it aired twice or twenty times, plus additional stuff like complete series, etc.

So pretty much everything on HBO "now"..only better

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Signed up this morning. Everything working on all devices. So far, I like it. I canceled HBO a while ago and have been waiting for this. As others have said, it's about $5.00 per month overpriced, but it's a no-contract deal which I really like and it's a big jump in the "ala carte" programming and I want to support it. My nearly $200 a month cable/Internet/phone bill with Cox is going up every year and we just noticed a $15 increase on our bill with no explaination. When I called, Cox said it was government taxes and fee and that they sent out a notice of the coming increase in January. I saw no such notice and called BS on the "government" line of crap.

Anyway, I'm looking to cut my bill drastically or even completely cut out the way overpriced cable TV portion and just keep what would be the $60 internet bill. If not for the sports channels (NHL Network, NFL Network, NBCSN and the ESPN channels, I'd have canceled cable years ago. I'm really close to cutting it anyway. I loathe Cox but hear nightmares about U-Verse and Dish. Unfortunately our condo association does t allow DTV to install the dish on any wall or roof and they couldn't get a clear line-of-sight with the dish on the patio because of trees (Dish says they can get around this issue)...so DTV is not an option. :mad:

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Signed up this morning. Everything working on all devices. So far, I like it. I canceled HBO a while ago and have been waiting for this. As others have said, it's about $5.00 per month overpriced, but it's a no-contract deal which I really like and it's a big jump in the "ala carte" programming and I want to support it. My nearly $200 a month cable/Internet/phone bill with Cox is going up every year and we just noticed a $15 increase on our bill with no explaination. When I called, Cox said it was government taxes and fee and that they sent out a notice of the coming increase in January. I saw no such notice and called BS on the "government" line of crap.

Anyway, I'm looking to cut my bill drastically or even completely cut out the way overpriced cable TV portion and just keep what would be the $60 internet bill. If not for the sports channels (NHL Network, NFL Network, NBCSN and the ESPN channels, I'd have canceled cable years ago. I'm really close to cutting it anyway. I loathe Cox but hear nightmares about U-Verse and Dish. Unfortunately our condo association does t allow DTV to install the dish on any wall or roof and they couldn't get a clear line-of-sight with the dish on the patio because of trees (Dish says they can get around this issue)...so DTV is not an option. :mad:

I'm with you. I just ordered an antenna to get the local channels and looking into other sources for the programming I regularly watch. Bought it slightly used from Amazon just in case Apple announces a channel package in June. I figure $16 is a good price to get local channels for a few months even if Apple comes out with something in September. Really over the Comcast cable dance that just gets me deeper into a larger bill. $200 a month for cable and internet is ridiculous.

CanadianGuy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Working now

Not sure if Unblock-Us did something, or if load on HBO's servers is just lower at 3am, but I'm now able to stream!

Glad to finally be able to pay HBO for their content!

Last edited:

Ben1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Not sure if Unblock-Us did something, or if load on HBO's servers is just lower at 3am, but I'm now able to stream!

Glad to finally be able to pay HBO for their content!

Thanks for the heads up.

Just checked and working here as a UK customer of Unblock US.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I saw someone here who intended to wait till the 2/3 point of Game of Thrones to claim the free month of service, then cancel it when the show ended.

Sadly he won't get HBO NOW free for a month then. When you sign up, the offer clearly states one free month FOR THOSE WHO SIGN UP IN APRIL.

Finally got HBO NOW working on my Apple TV by using the "Sign in with an HBO ID" since I created the account on my iPhone.

I have to add my voice to the disappointment with some of the others here. Where is the LIVE HBO that I seem to recall at one point was talked about? All we have is a rebranded HBO GO that anyone without cable can now subscribe to get all the same content as HBO GO. It's basically just an iTunes or a Netflix with all HBO content. Nothing more.

Why did't they just modify HBO GO to add iTunes subscriptions? It took all these months to create a separate standalone HBO NOW rebranded app that does nothing more than the HBO GO app created years ago?:rolleyes:

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Do we have access to the HBO old shows from past seasons such as early seasons of GoT and Girls and such?

Or is it like Hulu where they have a lot but episodes of show shows would come and go and not absolutely everything at the same time?

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Do we have access to the HBO old shows from past seasons such as early seasons of GoT and Girls and such?

Or is it like Hulu where they have a lot but episodes of show shows would come and go and not absolutely everything at the same time?

They are all there.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yes ....

I've been waiting for this... but nothing ever goes right does it...

I tried this on Apple TV and got "Invalid subscription" ..... I've never has subscription with HBO...

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I have to add my voice to the disappointment with some of the others here. Where is the LIVE HBO that I seem to recall at one point was talked about? All we have is a rebranded HBO GO that anyone without cable can now subscribe to get all the same content as HBO GO. It's basically just an iTunes or a Netflix with all HBO content. Nothing more.

I don't understand people being disappointed with the lack of a live HBO feed. You make it sound like because HBO NOW is a Netflix-type service that it's somehow a downgrade. Not only is live stream quality typically inferior.. but being able to watch everything currently available on HBO whenever you want is clearly an upgrade from adhering to a tv schedule.

It would be different if the majority of HBO's content was live.. but it's not. Perhaps users will have access to programs that are actually broadcast live, like the odd sporting event, but you don't need a feed for the rest if you're able to stream new movies & tv episodes at the exact same time they premiere on tv.

I hope you can also see the conflict in HBO running a live stream of their tv channel on a standalone streaming service not connected to their cable & satellite partners.

If "live" HBO is what you want, you should keep your cable.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
[...]
it's a no-contract deal which I really like
[...]

Thanks, I've been wondering about that. Sounds like they're using the same model as Sling, month-to-month, no contract - I'm assuming you can turn it on/off, even if they don't credit the month owed.

That means if you're doing the comparison to buying 3-5 seasons worth of shows, and you can skip months on HBONow, the yearly might be less than $180. :)

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I don't understand people being disappointed with the lack of a live HBO feed. You make it sound like because HBO NOW is a Netflix-type service that it's somehow a downgrade. Not only is live stream quality typically inferior.. but being able to watch everything currently available on HBO whenever you want is clearly an upgrade from adhering to a tv schedule.

Sometimes there is HBO Boxing. Will that be live? Will I be able to watch Game of Thrones on Sunday night at 10pm like all the HBO subs. Just FYI, I haven't had cable since October 2013.

Seems you are missing the point about why people are disturbed over this. Look back at my original message. This is simply a rebranded HBO GO with subs. NOTHING more. Everything pre-recorded. Why couldn't they have just enabled subs in HBO GO? In the press releases I believe they likened it to SLING TV, but it's more like just a Netflix.

I guess you haven't used SLING TV yet. Full 1080p quality LIVE streaming... and it looks amazing on my 80" tv. Evidence it CAN be done.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Sometimes there is HBO Boxing. Will that be live?
It might be (and I mentioned sporting events in my post). Email them and ask.
Will I be able to watch Game of Thrones on Sunday night at 10pm like all the HBO subs.
Yes.

Seems you are missing the point about why people are disturbed over this. Look back at my original message. This is simply a rebranded HBO GO with subs. NOTHING more. Everything pre-recorded.

Almost everything on HBO is pre-recorded. And once again, you'll be able to watch your shows or movies the same time they premiere on tv, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Why couldn't they have just enabled subs in HBO GO? In the press releases I believe they likened it to SLING TV, but it's more like just a Netflix.

I don't believe they likened this to SLING TV at all. The biggest selling point for NOW is that you don't need cable to get HBO anymore.

Also, an HBO that's more like Netflix = upgrade!

Why couldn't they have just enabled subs in HBO GO?

Probably because HBO GO is connected to cable & satellite subscriptions and billing. HBO NOW is a cable and satellite competitor.

potterg83

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2015
i signed in with my Apple ID on the Apple TV. (Just watched the riveting documentary about Scientology.)

Then I said, Oh, let me put it on the phone and iPad!

I typed in my Apple ID into the app.

E-mail or password wrong.

Went to the website. Wrong e-mail or password.

Oh, how about I set up a third party password?

Nope. "Password wrong."

Do I set up by "Restoring my account from the Apple Store"? Nothing happens.

I wanted to let you know I am having the exact same problem. I contacted customer support. They wrote back and said that they had "fixed the issue" but they hadn't. Waiting on a second response now.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This looks ok

I can access HBO Now :).... Alas, i'm disappointed.... the only thing that probable sticks out to even watch is Tom Cruise 'Edge of tomorrow' and even that i have watched half way through, and its a good twist of sci-fi.

I still prefer Oblivion.

I was expecting ALL releases. not a small portion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.