Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crissoo7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Hello,

My name is Cris and I read this forum for a long time, but now it's the first time I'm asking for help. My problem is the following:

A couple of months ago I bought a Macbook pro mid 2015 from a second hand electronics retailer, and when I bought it I only checked the serial number on the back cover, then I checked it on apple site and it was there, everything ok. I was very happy with my new acquisition, everything was working like it should, the battery was in good condition, no display scratches, no dents, and I didn't payed attention to the minor stuff, until a few days ago whenI opened "About this Mac" and then I saw that it was a different serial number than the one on the back cover. I said ok, the back cover must've been changed, but when I looked for this serial number on the apple site is saying "invalid serial" and then I realize that because of this reason the fabrication year is not shown ("mid 2015"). I thought maybe it's a fake, but i checked it with every benchmark and software I could find, and it's not a fake. Then that's a problem, and someone definitely changed the serial number on that logic board or something happend. The store only gave me 2 months warranty, but I will go to them and asked them about this anyway.

That being said, I would like to change the serial number to the one on the back cover. Please don't judge me, I know it's illegal, I know it's not the right thing to do, I know it's hard, some say even impossible (but then I wonder how is the invalid serial on the motherboard there), and at least I want to try it. Please don't tell me to go to an apple store because that's out of the question since I don't have any kind of warranty.

I don't want to leave it like that, because one day I would want to upgrade to a newer Macbook and I will sell this one, and the buyer will definitely check the S.N.

If anybody have any clue what to do in this situation, please let me know.

P.S. Sorry for my english mistakes, it's not my first language.

Thanks,
Regards.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Closing the thread, I don't think anything good will come of changing a serial number and if you have issues with your laptop either contact the seller or apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.