Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Buying a new macbook from USA
Uses:
1)Adobe softwares (PS, IS, ID, XD, AE,premiere mainly (AE & PE mainly for social media content like reels and shorts),light room)
2) C4D (Mainly product rendering)
3) Fegma,Sketch
4) Web development
Should I pick a MBA or a MBP and which size also there are some refurbished macbooks I found
1) MBP M3 Pro 14 11C/14G/18/512 1700$
2) MBP M3 Pro 14 12C/18G/18/1TB (2050$)
3) MBP M2 Pro 16 12C/19G/16/512 (2050$)
My budget is 2200$ for max
Also do you think I can use an external storage and do I need apple mouse :)
Not to mention (I will be learning these stuff from scratch the idea I just need the perfect machine and don’t want to waste extra money for an over kill)
What do you think :) and please if you suggested another option mention the configurations cause I really get confused at picking the right ones :)
Also Idk if it differs but I have an m2 Ipad pro

Last edited:

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Given you uses I would go with the largest hard drive (i.e. Option 2) as it also has the most ram (18GB) and is the latest chip. All of that said, biggest concern I have is the ram. With your use being graphic intensive I would look for a machine with 32GB. The 18gb will likely be ok, but given you cannot add more later I would go for 32Gb. With option2 you have a smaller screen, but you can always get an external if needed, same with storage. the mouse is a personal preference issue. I like a mouse as I have never gotten use to a trackpad.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
The 18gb will likely be ok, but given you cannot add more later I would go for 32Gb.
So option two is safe or it’s risky cause I will not be changing this macbook for a while also I will take a look if there is one with 32gb

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Do not understand what you mean by risky. Option 2 should work fine with you stated uses. I qualify that with the comment I have not used all of those programs, but I have use some, and did similar things. More ram is not "required" will help it run smoother, and faster (fewer beach balls)and last longer.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Do not understand what you mean by risky. Option 2 should work fine with you stated uses. I qualify that with the comment I have not used all of those programs, but I have use some, and did similar things. More ram is not "required" will help it run smoother, and faster (fewer beach balls)and last longer.
Thank you so much for help I guess I’m just going for that I found one with 36gb with 300$ difference worth it?

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Assume if you are getting it from Apple you will get the warranty/Applecare but yes, Apple stands behind their refurbished computers.
There’s a point here I’m getting this macbook from USA to another country, my friend will bring it to me so I think it’s safe and will not have problems for sure right?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
You are not going to like me answer, but it is refurbished for a reason. Could be the original purchaser decided he/she want the M3 Max, or that an M2 was good enough and returned it or it could be that had some issue (dead pixels, runs hot, who knows). So I cannot say for certain you will not have a problem.

That said, as much as you can read horrors stories about Apple not supporting their products, in over 35 years of using Apple I know of no cases of Apple not standing behind a refurbished computer and I personally have bought them, and know several folks (in the 100's) who have and have not had any issues.

There is a risk, but it is a very small one. I would buy the computer.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
You are not going to like me answer, but it is refurbished for a reason. Could be the original purchaser decided he/she want the M3 Max, or that an M2 was good enough and returned it or it could be that had some issue (dead pixels, runs hot, who knows). So I cannot say for certain you will not have a problem.

That said, as much as you can read horrors stories about Apple not supporting their products, in over 35 years of using Apple I know of no cases of Apple not standing behind a refurbished computer and I personally have bought them, and know several folks (in the 100's) who have and have not had any issues.

There is a risk, but it is a very small one. I would buy the computer.
Ok that sounds risky but since it’s refurbished wouldn’t apple fix the problem also if I found a problem can the warranty cover it at apple certified resellers? Like honestly I feel like buying it

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Since you got some input regarding the laptop itself - I would personally advise against the Magic Mouse. I had one and it was by far the worst mouse I’ve had since I started using optical mice - and I’m even ignoring the charging solution here.
To me, it was an ergonomics nightmare because it’s so slim and flat.

I don’t mind a slightly smaller mouse (I use a Logitech m650L at the moment) but the Magic Mouse lasted all of two months in this household.

As for storage - I’d highly recommend external storage. Even just for backup purposes.
I generally just get base storage and keep most of my stuff on external drives. That doesn’t work for everyone, though, mind you. Still, for backups or Time Machine, external would be beneficial.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Since you got some input regarding the laptop itself - I would personally advise against the Magic Mouse. I had one and it was by far the worst mouse I’ve had since I started using optical mice - and I’m even ignoring the charging solution here.
To me, it was an ergonomics nightmare because it’s so slim and flat.

I don’t mind a slightly smaller mouse (I use a Logitech m650L at the moment) but the Magic Mouse lasted all of two months in this household.

As for storage - I’d highly recommend external storage. Even just for backup purposes.
I generally just get base storage and keep most of my stuff on external drives. That doesn’t work for everyone, though, mind you. Still, for backups or Time Machine, external would be beneficial.
For a Mouse I’m thinking of the logitech mx master 3s, and external storage would be good too thank for advice I’m thinking of a samsung T9 but that would be after I fill the 1TB of the MBP cause now I’m tight on budget

Reactions: TracerAnalog

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Ok that sounds risky but since it’s refurbished wouldn’t apple fix the problem also if I found a problem can the warranty cover it at apple certified resellers? Like honestly I feel like buying it
I said you would not like my answer :)

But as I also closed with, I would buy it as it is a good price.

And yes Apple will warranty the computer. And yes Apple will fix something if it is broken or not operating properly before offering it for resale. Note however with dead pixels a screen is considered not defective if it is with 6 sigma norms (i.e. 3.4 pixels/MM). Once again not trying to scare you, just saying in rare cases there are issues.

ON the other topic, (mouse), I do not use Apple's mouse, I like the Evoluent VerticalMouse.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
MBP 14 inch M3 pro 12C/18G/36GB/1TB (2379$)
Worth it?
Yes.

You are basically getting the ram update for free. I've bought stuff refurbished from Apple, and cosmetically it has looked brand new. They repair machines, if needed, and put the them through a more rigorous quality control check. I think it's worth it. If I weren't able to buy my Macs through the education store, I would look hard at Apple refurbs. At the level of specs I buy, it ends up around the same price.

If it comes from anyone other than Apple directly and is called refurbished, it is just a used machine that has been meticulously cleaned to look nice.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Yes.

You are basically getting the ram update for free. I've bought stuff refurbished from Apple, and cosmetically it has looked brand new. They repair machines, if needed, and put the them through a more rigorous quality control check. I think it's worth it. If I weren't able to buy my Macs through the education store, I would look hard at Apple refurbs. At the level of specs I buy, it ends up around the same price.

If it comes from anyone other than Apple directly and is called refurbished, it is just a used machine that has been meticulously cleaned to look nice.
Okk thank you, it’s from the apple store

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
MBP 14 inch M3 pro 12C/18G/36GB/1TB (2379$)
Worth it?

I run FCP as well as most of the Adobe apps you listed. I have to agree with the other responses:

1. 32 FB ram is mandatory.
2. 1 TB is mandatory for virtual ram. Yes, this is different from the Intel and PP days but it is still important.
3. If you can stretch a bit more, I would recommend a Max over a Pro.

Screen size is minor as you will certainly need an external monitor for precision editing. External mouse and keyboard as well. Also, I recommend a good shuttle for video work; huge increase in efficiency.

I would go so far to say that these specs are more important than getting an M3 over an M2.

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
I run FCP as well as most of the Adobe apps you listed. I have to agree with the other responses:

1. 32 FB ram is mandatory.
2. 1 TB is mandatory for virtual ram. Yes, this is different from the Intel and PP days but it is still important.
3. If you can stretch a bit more, I would recommend a Max over a Pro.

Screen size is minor as you will certainly need an external monitor for precision editing. External mouse and keyboard as well. Also, I recommend a good shuttle for video work; huge increase in efficiency.

I would go so far to say that these specs are more important than getting an M3 over an M2.
So even if I got 14 inch or 16 inch I will still need an external screen cause I’m really scared of screen size also going for same specs on 16 inch will enter a 600$ difference

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
So even if I got 14 inch or 16 inch I will still need an external screen cause I’m really scared of screen size also going for same specs on 16 inch will enter a 600$ difference
I have 11inch ipad pro too I could use it as second display if that may help too what do you think

TarekDaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Note however with dead pixels a screen is considered not defective if it is with 6 sigma norms (i.e. 3.4 pixels/MM). Once again not trying to scare you, just saying in
And would that be a real problem and if I got a macbook with that what would do in that case, would the warranty cover that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.