Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1. Yep... that model has Internet recovery. I would just start Internet recovery then format the drive and use a Time Machine restore. That will give you the same OS version that is on the TM backup and save you having to download the OS over the Internet again.

2. The SSD is just a standard SATA 2.5" drive... so nothing special about it. I agree with AppleNewton's suggestion of the EVO.

It is possible this is the internal cable though. They don't cost that much, so you might want to replace it while you are in there.

pbissegger

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2016
montreal
The saga continues....

I replaced the drive with the new EVO and booted in Internet Recovery mode. I tried a straight erase, and when that didn't work, tried creating a single partition. That didn't work either.

Both ended with the same failure: Disk Erase failed. Disk erase failed with the error: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.

Looking quickly on the internet, it seems like it could be a bad SATA cable. So your hunch was right Weaselboy! (unfortunately for me..)

I read a post from someone saying that the issue is the cable rubbing on the edge of the optical drive and shorting - and they said a bit of electrical tape may help ... I tried cleaning the cable and running the tape over the optical drive edge and down the side ... but there is no luck...

Can you confirm that, in your opinion, that it is a SATA cable ? And if so, I have no clue on where (and if) I could get a replacement - could you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks again, Pete

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you confirm that, in your opinion, that it is a SATA cable ?
I don't think anyone can confirm its the sata cable on the internet. Your symptoms do lend itself to that. Order the cable and see, they're not expensive and see if that fixes the issue.

Also if you have an external drive enclosure, put the new drive in that, and see if its accessible to the mac.

pequenojuan95

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
Try this. Plug your Time Machine (TM) backup disk in and option key boot to that disk. This should get you the same recovery screen, however it will be running off the TM disk now. Start Disk Utility and select the drive name at the very top (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) then try to erase the entire drive in Mac OS Extended format. Once that is done close Disk Util and click reinstall OS.

If you cannot erase like that, tell me what it says when you select the drive name at the top? Can you go to the file menu and select unlock drive?

If that does not get you anywhere, start Terminal from the Utilities menu in recovery and run the command "diskutil list" (without the quotes) and tell me what the output is.

soo I am having the exact same issues although I don't really understand your instructions

pequenojuan95

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
Can you explain exactly the problem you are having and what year and model Mac you have?
I have the mid-2012 MacBook pro. I got a new computer so I wanted to wipe this hard drive out ,so I did what everyone else does. went to recovery mode, disk utility, erase mac HD, and the reinstall osx. I guess my computer died mid process and now when I try to do this, where it asks where I want to install the osx no HD comes up

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I have the mid-2012 MacBook pro. I got a new computer so I wanted to wipe this hard drive out ,so I did what everyone else does. went to recovery mode, disk utility, erase mac HD, and the reinstall osx. I guess my computer died mid process and now when I try to do this, where it asks where I want to install the osx no HD comes up

hold command option r while starting up your Mac
this will start internet recovery
launch disk utility and try to mount and run first aid/repair permissions on the disk
if it mounts, close disk utility and reinstall OS X from there.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try holding command-option-r at startup to begin Internet recovery. Once you select your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will se the recovery screen. From that screen launch Disk Utility. Can you see/select your internal drive in the left column of Disk Utility? If you cannot, you likely have either a filed drive or a bad internal drive cable.

pequenojuan95

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
Try holding command-option-r at startup to begin Internet recovery. Once you select your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will se the recovery screen. From that screen launch Disk Utility. Can you see/select your internal drive in the left column of Disk Utility? If you cannot, you likely have either a filed drive or a bad internal drive cable.

I am currently doing what instructed, and the globe is spinning and a loading bar also a timer which seems to be counting up and down slowly.
[doublepost=1472067776][/doublepost]

I did what you said and after the load bar completed it gave me a code 2003f

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Usually that error means you are using an internet connection (wifi) type not supported by Internet recovery.

Try temporarily opening your wifi with no password at all to see if that works.

Reactions: CoastalOR

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
@Weaselboy I've been reading the iMac threads and I must say I am impressed with your willingness to help and the patience you've displayed while trying to troubleshoot various disk issue for users of this forum. It's assistance like this that make dealing with the Internet worthwhile. Bravo to you sir.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am impressed with your willingness to help and the patience you've displayed while trying to troubleshoot various disk issue for users of this forum.
Yep, he's a keeper :)

MR is a better place thanks to his untiring help and dedication

Reactions: Weaselboy

Joolsc

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Australia
I have an iMac 2011 27" model with 12GB ram that boots off with a white screen then ~30sec later it displays a flashing folder with a question mark.

I have tried:

Command R - It will load the recovery (spinning globe) to the end, then display the apple with a clock counter, after that it seem to reboot with a white screen.
Command Option R - Same as Command R,

either case I cannot get it to load the OS X Utilities.

D - AHT extended test and no problem was found.

Is my problem more than just a failured hdd?

Are there extra diagnostics I can perform to determine that my hdd is the only part is faulty, parts like logic board / gpu cost too much to repair.

Joolsc

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Australia
Do you have an external drive or any of the media that came with the iMac?
Can you try holding option, then selecting the Recovery Partition?

I don't have any of the original media that came with the iMac.

When I hold down option, it only gives me the option of "Internet Recovery" after I have selected a wifi.

I have tried an external hdd (probably ntfs since I don't have a mac), the "Option" doesn't see the drive either not surprised.

Thanks.

Joolsc

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Australia
if you're not seeing any options when you hold option then yes it seems like the drive is no longer recognized (dead, unformatted, etc).

Thanks,

I'll try to get an external hdd (with OSX) or an OSX dvd, and hope that Option would give me some selections.

Its troublesome when I don't see anything, I cannot tell which part is faulty.

Joolsc

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Australia
Guys, just want you guys to know that I purchased a new SATA cable and installed it and it solved the issue.

Wanted you guys to have that data point that the cable was my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I decided to take the imac in for a diagnostic and wait for the outcome.

Given that I cannot boot from anywhere (internet recovery, dvd, external hdd with (osx or osx installer), It could be another faulty hardware thats affecting it.

emprice14

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Hello, I believe that I may have deleted my hard drive. I have a MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2012) that was running OS Lion. My Mac was going pretty slow after upgrading to Yosemite so I started messing around with it. In the process I ended up erasing some things, and then my computer showed a prohibtory sign (could have been before I started messing around, I can't quite remember) and afterwards the folder with a question mark. I can boot to internet recovery mode. When looking in the disk utility I see superdrive, disk0 and max OS X base system. If I try to do the reinstall OS X It won't let me because no disks show up to choose from. I have made a bootable USB though and I am able to get my Mac running because it uses the USB as an external drive, it is running macOS Sierra. I really hate having to always use the USB to start up my Mac. Can anyone help me? *Will post screenshots below of what I get from the diskutil list without my USB and with my USB.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have made a bootable USB though and I am able to get my Mac running because it uses the USB as an external drive, it is running macOS Sierra.

Boot to the USB drive then start Disk Utility. Can you see the internal drive from there? If not, it sounds like you have a failed drive and need a new one. A bad internal cable can also cause this, but that is less common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.