Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gg47

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
I have to be with HP on this one. I never saw the value preposition of motor vehicles, I and all my blacksmith friends were very happy with a horse.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
HP was never really a big supporter of thunderbolt. Not sure why this is big news.
Meanwhile Dell, Sony, Apple, Intel and many other big brands are behind Thunderbolt.
I quote myself here so people who don't read the top posts may read this

Thunderbolt has a place in mac pros for professional use as a expansion card. Guys at work are excited about it for video editing etc but they use maxed out pros that cut through encodes. Thunderbolt ports on the rest of the range is useless at the moment, only port in the industry that is all hype and had nothing that will work with it. I'm kinda peeved off cause the one of my favourite feature of my 2009 iMac 27 was the target mode which meant I could run any device with a minidp into my iMac and use it as a display, brilliant! Thanks to the useless TB port that featuren now only works between two tb equiped devices.... Freakin useless Apple! If I want to continue using it I have to upgrade my mini, MBA , mbp and PC GPU. Which is complete bollocks as only the MPB has the TB port. Apple has to stop being the cool kid on the block and screwing over their own customers with fancy tech that even their range does not work with, a USB 3 port would have been useful from day one, the TB may never catch on at all, and I have no desire to pay top $$$ for TB devices due to lack of competition while over in the PC world USB is becoming common and cheap. So macs are going to be stuck with USB 2 for a while :(
And to add to what i have already stated.
I really don't understand why people think thunderbolt is some high end technology. Really USB is just dated and thunderbolt is something new. Thunderbolt is only new and as such there a no devices for it, you have to make the kit before devices can be made for it. Finally Thunderbolt may end being cheaper then USB considering it is free tech, i.e. no licensing fee.
The biggest argument that can be put against thunderbolt at the moment is that there is no tech for it, which unfortunately is true whenever something new is realised. We cant just stay in the technology dark ages, society doesn't allow it we have to advance and Thunderbolt is a technology promising to change all this. It is saddening MacRumors realised this as a headline as it isn't really news but a sad event for HP, ditching something that really could of helped promote new tech and improved performance in the future. I wish Google got into the hardware market, their brilliant attitude would be greatly accepted.

I have to be with HP on this one. I never saw the value preposition of motor vehicles, I and all my blacksmith friends were very happy with a horse.

Perfect Analogy

Last edited by a moderator:

atheos

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Well, by having 1-2 TB ports one would NOT need to have:
- VGA
- DVI
- HDMI
- DisplayPort
- eSATA
- ExpressCard

Just think about the reduced size and thickness. Isn't that alone an excellent reason?

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
I hope that thunderbolt does fail, fire wire was/is always more of a pain in the ass than it is/was useful.

Standards are a good thing as long as the standards work and USB is great, I have a hard time imagining the need for more speed than USB 3.0 .

cinder

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
Apparently the marketing managers are making product design decisions over at HP?
How completely asinine.

Thunderbolt is, again, the superior technology - as was/is firewire and yet so few adopted.

I really, really hope everyone jumps on this.
USB3 is fine for keyboards, mice and your mom - but getting tolerable performance out of an external harddrive . . . not possible

Now we just need harddrives that can catch up with the speed of these interconnects.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
i am sorry, but i still don't get it. Why do we Need thunderbolt again? to Backup Faster? for video cutting? for the display? well, the backup is slow because time machine is slow. in most cases it is done wirelessly - no need for thunderbolt. video cutting? isn't it all going away from bluray and moving to compact codecs and online Internet? no need for thunderbolt (USB works fine here). so we need it for the display? for some strange reason even via produces a very good picture on my monitor! no need for thunderbolt.

I guess apple wants to use it, so they add it. i don't need thunderbolt. I would be more happy if they'd lower the prices, or start with more designs for their machines again (go to the university and everyone has the same boring silver MacBook).

A little thing called progress. I hear HP has a computer for people like you.

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
It sucks that the latest Macbook Pro could have had USB 3.0.
Instead we got Thunderbolt which you still can't use for anything.
If Apple wanted to include Thunderbolt so bad why did they not give us USB 3.0, too?

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
i am sorry, but i still don't get it. Why do we Need thunderbolt again? to Backup Faster? for video cutting? for the display? well, the backup is slow because time machine is slow. in most cases it is done wirelessly - no need for thunderbolt. video cutting? isn't it all going away from bluray and moving to compact codecs and online Internet? no need for thunderbolt (USB works fine here). so we need it for the display? for some strange reason even via produces a very good picture on my monitor! no need for thunderbolt.

I guess apple wants to use it, so they add it. i don't need thunderbolt. I would be more happy if they'd lower the prices, or start with more designs for their machines again (go to the university and everyone has the same boring silver MacBook).

Yes, a single spinning disk is not going to saturate a Thunderbolt connection. However, solid state drives use way more bandwidth. For example, the OCZ Vertex 3 Pro had reviewed speeds almost up to 400 MB/s (3.2 gigabits/s, see here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4159/ocz-vertex-3-pro-preview-the-first-sf2500-ssd/5). Stripe 3 of them in an array and you’re already at Thunderbolt’s maximum capacity. And if you’re using an external display you already don’t have enough bandwidth for your drives.

Such a setup would cost $1600 for the ~300 GB of drives, and probably $500 to $1000 for the enclosure. Well within the range of many professionals.

Second, just because consumer devices don’t saturate a Thunderbolt connection now doesn’t mean they won’t in the future (they will).

Last edited:

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I hope that thunderbolt does fail, fire wire was/is always more of a pain in the ass than it is/was useful.

Standards are a good thing as long as the standards work and USB is great, I have a hard time imagining the need for more speed than USB 3.0 .

How is Thunderbolt and firewire even similiar? Not made by the same company, don't use similar cabling, and many years apart.

I have a hard time imagining why i need anything better then a floppy disk :rolleyes:

It sucks that the latest Macbook Pro could have had USB 3.0.
Instead we got Thunderbolt which you still can't use for anything.
If Apple wanted to include Thunderbolt so bad why did they not give us USB 3.0, too?

Intel haven't produced the kit. Don't blame Intel instead take all your USB3 loving friends to Intel and complain.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008

What, if anything, does FireWire being "more of a pain in the ass than it is/was useful" have to do with Thunderbolt? One would think you would cheer for the rise of Thunderbolt to stab your dreaded FireWire right in the jugular.

People had a hard time imagining the need for most of the things you take for granted today: floppy disk and modem-less computers; internet access faster than 56kbps dial-up; 802.11n rather than g or b; a hard drive bigger than 40MB; a computer with more than 8MB RAM; a computer with a "CD player"; every computer you ever replaced while it was still functional; not to mention USB 3.0 itself - why would you need anything faster than USB 2.0?

haibane-rakka

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
I feel like HP is basically saying "We are afraid to adopt this before the market looks promising because if it doesn't catch on we're screwed."

Which seems like a valid point but I'd rather my laptop be ready for the technology BEFORE stuff comes out. It makes sense for Apple because they're already using Mini Displayport, I haven't seen a functioning device that uses Lightpeak on any other port type.

Mini Displayport makes sense to me for high bandwidth things, lots of PC graphics cards have one now, and the PCI-Express bus can handle so much bandwidth I don't see why we don't make more use of it as it is.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
And we care about HP because?

Do they actually bring anything to the party or do they stick with cheap simple designs like Dell?

I do see their thoughts on how USB 3 is enough for the Jones but in the coming months Thunderbolt equipment will come out that will change that.

This reminds me of why do people need more than DSL what could you even do with more and more capacity.

Bla bla bla that what HP sound like.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
The only PITA of buying a Macbook Pro despite all the awesomeness of the hardware and Mac OS X, is that I have to buy two adapters, one for my HDTV (MDP -> HDMI), and one for other projectors (MDP -> VGA/DVI etc.), there isn't anything except Apple monitors that use the MDP.:(

Can't blame Apple or Thunderbolt for that. Industry is slow to change just like humans are. Just because some can see the benefit of a new much faster technology that is jumping over everything else does not mean industry will fall behind it in droves. I for one have no need for it now but in the coming year I am sure I will upgrade and get all the benefits that come with this. I like to see this when it comes to iphone and ipad so that we can have instant gratification when it comes to transfer of files.

This will also be incredible when it comes to backups. :)

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Can't blame Apple or Thunderbolt for that. Industry is slow to change just like humans are. Just because some can see the benefit of a new much faster technology that is jumping over everything thing else does not mean industry will fall behind it in droves. I for one have no need for it now but in the coming year I am sure I will upgrade and get all the benefits that come with this. I like to see this when it comes to iphone and ipad so that we can have instant gratification when it comes to transfer of files.

This will also be incredible when it comes to backups. :)

I am looking forward to external GPUs

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I don't see what so many of you or going on about. At this point in time there is NO value in manufactures including TB ports when there is nothing to plug into them. It doesn't mean they won't pick it up later but there is no value in it at this time.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Can't Thunderbolt run pretty much any protocol?

I thought that's what LightPeak was supposed to be... one connection that could do anything.

Will there be any TB-USB3 converters or dongles?

It would be a shame if USB3 finally takes off... and Apple sticks with ThunderBolt.

Firewire redux...

When it was first introduced LightPeak was just that, a general connector able run very wide set of protocols (even the connector was fully compatible with USB3). If LightPeak / Thunderbolt had retained its compatibility with USB3 then LightPeak would have been the way of the future. However, when it came out as Thunderbolt the number of protocols have been reduced and USB3 is no longer the option. Unfortunately, it seems Thunderbolt is becoming this fast connector that can only connect to very very few devices. Its seems USB3 has stolen thunder from Thunderbolt.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I don't see what so many of you or going on about. At this point in time there is NO value in manufactures including TB ports when there is nothing to plug into them. It doesn't mean they won't pick it up later but there is no value in it at this time.

Part of my point, I bet when there are actually Thunderbolt devices HP will suddenly advertise their thunderbolt ports and be a market winner :rolleyes:

When it was first introduced LightPeak was just that, a general connector able run very wide set of protocols (even the connector was fully compatible with USB3). If LightPeak / Thunderbolt had retained its compatibility with USB3 then LightPeak would have been the way of the future. However, when it came out as Thunderbolt the number of protocols have been reduced and USB3 is no longer the option. Unfortunately, it seems Thunderbolt is becoming this fast connector that can only connect to very very few devices. Its seems USB3 has stolen thunder from Thunderbolt.

I believe that is only in Apple's impementation

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
And we care about HP because?

Do they actually bring anything to the party or do they stick with cheap simple designs like Dell?

I do see their thoughts on how USB 3 is enough for the Jones but in the coming months Thunderbolt equipment will come out that will change that.

This reminds me of why do people need more than DSL what could you even do with more and more capacity.

Bla bla bla that what HP sound like.

Because if major PC manufacturers don't support Thunderbolt then we will get only few (=expensive) devices using the connector... To get the benefit of mass manufacturing you need the numbers and if the numbers are not there you end up with either useless port of very expensive devices.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

They did. Thunderbolt can do usb 1-3 and mini display port dvi and hdmi all via adapters.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I believe that is only in Apple's impementation

USB Implementers Forum didn't allow USB3 connectivity with Thunderbolt. Therefore, Intel couldn't support it. In the future you can most likely get Thunderbolt-USB3 adapters but in realty that won't push any device manufacturers to push out Thunderbolt devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.