Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I guess the India/China market idea makes sense. Those countries love their golds.

Central European minimalist modernism, which Ive seems to adore, is pretty culturally narrow, appealing primarily to middle class 'design literate' elites. Contrast, for example, the more neon case lights and alien-like contours of a postmodern 'gaming PC' with an iMac. One man's design perfection is another's blandness.

Purist modernism is just one, quite narrow, way of doing design. I think for functional devices like iPhones it makes perfect sense but large numbers prefer a more folksy human feel, especially in architecture or interior design where extreme modernism is often actively despised for its stark, dehumanising quality. It's possible that if Apple want to appeal to all markets all of the time more postmodern touches like chinzty golds or ornament ion for the sake of it may creep in.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh... you know: a radically refined brand new operating system, a new in-house created processor, bleeding-edge new video, redesigned camera for MUCH better low-light photos, using both additional f-stops & a new dual-stage flash, slo-motion video recording, double the amount of ram, maybe a new storage size option to go with that new color, a fingerprint sensor that integrates with your password keychain so that, while your phone remains secure, you NEVER have to type a single password or unlock code ever again.... just some little minor tweaks; after all- this IS an "s year".

But the case design is the same!! How will people know I have the new phone!! /s

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
the truly horrendous thing about the champagne color is that 3rd party vendors will assume consumers want matching accessories.
Imagine a champagne lightning cable?
Or champagne iPhone docks? blecch!
And isn't Champagne Lightning a dancer at Lusty Lady?

On the plus side it looks like all the Jersey Shore types have an iphone just for them. So I can get my regular old black iiphone, and wait in line less hopefully. My current iphone is cracked. Looks like I have to wait a month until I can replace it.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
the truly horrendous thing about the champagne color is that 3rd party vendors will assume consumers want matching accessories.
Imagine a champagne lightning cable?
Or champagne iPhone docks? blecch!
And isn't Champagne Lightning a dancer at Lusty Lady?

On the plus side it looks like all the Jersey Shore types have an iphone just for them. So I can get my regular old black iiphone, and wait in line less hopefully. My current iphone is cracked. Looks like I have to wait a month until I can replace it.

So if there was a champagne lightning cable - how will it affect your life?
And the evil champagne iPhone docks - are they threatening your career or health directly?

I hated the white iPhones from the beginning - but accepted that Apple has to cater to that kind of consumers who want white - mostly girls that put a pink bumper on it to complete the hello kitty-scheme.

"/s"

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I like it. If real, that's the color I'm getting. It's not gold at all, but a warm grey. Looks like the mac aluminum color.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
They seriously need to match the entire back to one color, this two three tone thing just looks odd.

oaktree

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
So if the champagne color is still going to have a white front, then when you put a case on it, you still have a white phone. Am I missing something?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
So if the champagne color is still going to have a white front, then when you put a case on it, you still have a white phone. Am I missing something?

Some cases have transparent clear backs.
Some cases are just bumpers.
Some are just protective clear films. (me)
Some don't use a case at all.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh... you know: a radically refined brand new operating system, a new in-house created processor, bleeding-edge new video, redesigned camera for MUCH better low-light photos, using both additional f-stops & a new dual-stage flash, slo-motion video recording, double the amount of ram, maybe a new storage size option to go with that new color, a fingerprint sensor that integrates with your password keychain so that, while your phone remains secure, you NEVER have to type a single password or unlock code ever again.... just some little minor tweaks; after all- this IS an "s year".

Outstanding contribution! :cool:

Some cases have transparent clear backs.
Some cases are just bumpers.
Some are just protective clear films. (me)
Some don't use a case at all.

Simple enough, right? :D

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
I feel so much hate for these possible new colors... I think that as long as Apple keeps the original white and black colors in stock, we shouldn't really care if Apple wants to waste some cash into new color schemes that you have to admit some people will like.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.