Resolved High Volume Of Spam / Streaming Posts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Macman45, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Macman45, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors G5

Macman45

Seems the spammers are out in force today. I've reported at least 10...Just a heads up..If you do see spam please don't respond to it, just use the "report" button to bring it to the attention of the Moderators. I guess a lot of sporting events are imminent....That and BF.

2. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

They should remove all "empty" threads with zero replies after 24 hours.

3. thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

The spammers have recently taken to marking their post's as resolved, after a few years acting as a Moderator on other forums, I've developed a kind of sixth sense.....Shoes, Evening wear, and the usual gamut of football and illegal streaming sites seem to be the order of the day....It's quiet now...Tends to happen between 5Am and now...Then they vanish....Many are Bot generated with random usernames so keeping ahead is tough. It's just a pet hate of mine...Like junk mail...I have a large sign on my mailbox about unsolicited mail....Doesn't work sadly....The mailman says he has to deliver it....:mad:

4. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We've noticed an uptick and we're doing what we can to say ahead of them.

We do rely on members to report them as they see the spam as we cannot review or monitor every thread that is created.

5. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sunday's and early morning hours seem to be the heaviest spammer times that I've noticed. Not sure why though.

6. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Less staff, in theory the posts last longer that way.

7. thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

Not if I'm around they don't.....:D First job of the day...locate and report!

8. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

We should introduce (weekend) part time mods: MR janitor

I could help on weekend to bring out the gabage. And Sunday morning EU or US is comfortable in my daytime in Asia. You guys wake up and have a nice, clean, tidy MR for breakfast.
    Main function would be to quarantine threads in a way of hiding them, put them into a queue for the real mods to judge and take consequences. No execution power for the janitor ... Only wipe off the dust.

9. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think we must get up around the same time. :)

10. thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

:) I rarely get more than 4 hours sleep nowadays....I'm used to it, and I don't actually get up until around 6AM...Make coffee, MR is the normal routine...We have Black Friday in the mix this week too.