Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I'm so incredibly disappointed in the 14" M3 MacBook Pro. There is NOTHING about that machine that is "Pro". 8GB of RAM in a pro machine is a joke, as is only being able to drive a single external display and having only two Thunderbolt ports. The 512GB SSD is merely "acceptable", which is fine in the base machine I suppose. What's aggravating is that Apple had to TRY to neuter this machine. This is better than the 13" Pro it's replacing, but just barely. I'm continuing to hold out for an M3 Air 15". I'm sure it'll only be $200 cheaper, but I'm not paying extra for the 14" non-Pro.

thenewperson

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
The simple answer is "simply by doing so". They get to name their computers after all.

But that computer is a replacement for the 13" Pro which was decidedly less pro than this one. So the limitations here aren't surprising. Shame they didn't just replace the 3rd TB port with a USB-C port though. I guess that'd cost more than just not cutting the same holes in the chassis as the other Pros.

Last edited:

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The best way for people to fight this is to vote your dollars away from Apple.

Simply don't buy an 8GB machine from them.

If you don't want to fork over to the money vampire known as Tim Cook 🧛‍♂️, for RAM upgrades, then vote with your dollars on a PC.

Apple has made it clear that 8GB is base RAM, as ridiculous as we all think it is.

Ray Traced Apple Silicon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023

Simply don't buy an 8GB machine from them.

If you don't want to fork over to the money vampire known as Tim Cook 🧛‍♂️, for RAM upgrades, then vote with your dollars on a PC.

Apple has made it clear that 8GB is base RAM, as ridiculous as we all think it is.
The problem is, Apple is having some pretty significant gains every generation since the launch of Macs with Apple Silicon. If they keep pulling annual %30-%35 gains for 5 or 6 more years, Macs will be so much faster than Intel or Amd machines.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The problem is, Apple is having some pretty significant gains every generation since the launch of Macs with Apple Silicon. If they keep pulling annual %30-%35 gains for 5 or 6 more years, Macs will be so much faster than Intel or Amd machines.

Nothing significant about recent gains - per Apple's own slides, M3 is a 15% gain over M2 (last year) at best, and M3 is a 30% gain over M1 (3 years ago) at best.

Ray Traced Apple Silicon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
Nothing significant about recent gains - per Apple's own slides, M3 is a 15% gain over M2 (last year) at best, and M3 is a 30% gain over M1 (3 years ago) at best.
I was refering to the M3 Max, this slide claims an %80 gain compared to the M1 Max, which is around %35 annualized over 2 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031-043428_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031-043428_YouTube.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 195

BullHorn

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2023
I'm a PC user who enjoys iPhone and iPad.

I looked at MacBook for the first time, and compared it to my PC that I upgraded from 16GB to 80GB RAM for $120... At work I use a PC with 512GB RAM, that's the kind of quantity you need to really handle large amounts of data in a 'Pro' environment.

I think anyone who buys the base 8GB model today will be very disappointed in a couple of years and have to buy a new one with 16GB.

wnorris

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Agree...8GB of RAM is not "Pro". The problem for both the Pro and average user that is looking to buy a base model computer with an M3 (or really any M series chip) is that the 8GB RAM limitation will be what likely forces them to upgrade in the future. The OS and apps grow in size/RAM requirements so it is highly likely that the CPU will be speedy for 10 or more years while RAM is going to start causing issues in a few more years for most.

Apple should at the very least lower the cost of RAM upgrades as their pricing is getting hard to justify.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
I'm so incredibly disappointed in the 14" M3 MacBook Pro. There is NOTHING about that machine that is "Pro". 8GB of RAM in a pro machine is a joke, as is only being able to drive a single external display and having only two Thunderbolt ports. The 512GB SSD is merely "acceptable", which is fine in the base machine I suppose. What's aggravating is that Apple had to TRY to neuter this machine. This is better than the 13" Pro it's replacing, but just barely. I'm continuing to hold out for an M3 Air 15". I'm sure it'll only be $200 cheaper, but I'm not paying extra for the 14" non-Pro.
Get ready to get slammed by all the Apple sycophants who sees no wrong whatsoever with Apple and will continue to pay the Apple tax regardless of anything that Apple sells.

You're preaching to the choir of 'blasphemers' who dare speak out against Apple's view of using the lowest requirements like 8Gb ram or 256Gb storage (be glad it’s not 128Gb) for its Mac products because Apple can and will continue to do so, to make money, even in 2023.

Unfortunately, there's actually an aftermarket, albeit a relatively small one, of people who buy the 'base' configuration models, many of whom, have no right, later complain it was a bad idea.
Ironically, the aftermarket doesn't look good on Apple and is more of an indication that those Apple lovers were ignorant of their initial buying decision.
Why resell it if it was great when they originally bought it? Who cares. It's their money so let them waste it. To each their own.

Similarly, lots of 'sales' of those lowly models, which is another indication that they are not selling as well as Apple hoped, but have to produce, just to keep it as part of their 'low price point', to entice people to 'buy up' on better equipped models which cost more.
It's been Apple's strategy for decades and it works as Apple is a multi-billion $ company.

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I am just glad I finally got to see Apple get rid of HDDs completely.

Nothing will top Apple's grift of still selling them when the tech was completely obsolete. I had to witness friends purchase a Macbook Pro with them towards the end and it was just sad seeing them waste money on something so terrible. At least with the 8GB it can run extremely fast in many lower end usage scenarios.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It would be funny if you used an Apple Silicon "Pro" with 8GB and compared it to a 2019 Intel MacBook Pro with 16GB and didn't know the RAM specs.

Apple Silicon is going to do better multi-tasking. How do I know? I have both.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Good viewpoint, however, apple knows 8gb of ram is fine for most people...I didn't believe it either literally, until I got the base 15" and found out that its just fine! Also, I would much rather have a better screen than a larger one..

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It’s the “student” Pro machine. It’s far and away more capable of doing college work and recording music. It’s the lowest level above the air lines and more capable than the M1, which shocked everyone by its capabilities at such a low configuration.

For the vast majority of people this machine is actually targeted to, it’s more machine than they’ll ever need.

So really the complaint here is people don’t like the *branding* term encroaching on their “Pro” status…but this machine was never made for you.

The real “Pro” machines start with the M3 Pro line, so buy that if you’re in need of those specs and stop being so damn precious about branding.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
The biggest problem with this is that, as Apple has said repeatedly, half of the folks buying Macs are new to Apple. Given that Apple sells roughly 20 million Macs a year, that means they ONLY need 10 million folks that own a Mac to buy a new Mac in order for the year to be a success.

How many millions of Macs out there currently… with 8 GB from who knows how long ago, are ready to be upgraded? And, since 8 GB has served them well, will be looking for another 8 GB system? I’d be willing to wager a pretty big chunk of that 10 million.

If 10 million decide that 8 GB is not something they can support, but Apple finds another 10 million (there’s well over 100 million Macs in use) and add that to the 10 million new users, they’re good.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

My wife is a professional healthcare area manager. She works with a 2020 Intel MBA with 8GB RAM. It does everything she needs it to, and more.

Then there are the creatives that work with complex photo, video and audio editing programs. For them Apple makes Pro and Max processors with up to 128GB RAM.

If the base model is not for you, you should be considering a more powerful model.
I don't really understand your complain.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
I have a completely maxed-out 16" M2 Max MacBook Pro. My hb uses an entry-level M1 MacBook Air. He uses it for work: bookkeeping, e-mails, but also some light photoshop, beam studio, blender (for 3D-modelling, not rendering), ultimaker (for printing those 3D-models). 8GB of RAM is more than enough for the simple things he does with it. The M3 pro, especially with that display, is "pro" enough for a lot of people. Hell, the battery life alone would be enough to call it pro for certain workflows.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Just do not buy what you do not want, duh. What is important to most aware enough to read here is not the base available, but rather what the max available is and how much configuration choice exists. In that regard MBPs rock.

Note that granny may not need more than 8 GB RAM but still appreciates the pro display and pro speakers of a base MBP. Providing a low end MBPro choice is a good thing.

Personally I was thankful Apple provided a Max M2 chip and 96 GB RAM and offered a good range of SSD sizes with the previous generation, so that is what I chose. Now we have a new generation with + performance and 128 GB RAM available, but granny can still cheap out with 8 GB RAM that will work just fine for her. Excellent!

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Nonsense, not everyone needs more than 8GB, simple as that…
And there are people out there that use office apps and can do their job with just a couple tabs open… take a look around the real world

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.