Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
While I do agree that it is a bit naughty to release a "Pro" computer with 8 GB of ram, I sort of get it. I have the M1 14" MBP, and I have it instead of an Air because of the display. It's my personal machine, and I don't need all the power, but I do "need" the display it comes with. So if I were to buy a Macbook now, I think I would be very happy with the base M3 14".

Reactions: cyanite

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Is the only option 8GB? Or can you spec it with more?

If you need more than 8, get more than 8. You’re a big boy, you can make your own decisions.

Idk why people are so mad about something that doesn’t effect them, literary at all - like, just the simple fact that someone, somewhere might buy an 8GB MBP is melting people’s brains is insane

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I have a feeling we’ll start to either get yearly M-series chips with a new number or a “S” branding for the two year tick-tock release cycle.

Next year, with the M4 / M3S, the main selling point will be the second generation 3-nanometer chip, and 16GB/512GB standard.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I have a feeling we’ll start to either get yearly M-series chips with a new number or a “S” branding for the two year tick-tock release cycle.

Next year, with the M4 / M3S, the main selling point will be the second generation 3-nanometer chip, and 16GB/512GB standard.
Don’t bet on it—the 16GB part being standard.

Probably 9GB base/standard is more likely—since we currently have 18GB variants.

And thus far, M-chips release every 18 months.

Last edited:

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
“Pro” is just a marketing term, it does not define usage and 8GB RAM may be sufficient for some use cases. So why shouldn’t it be a valid baseline? But I personally will always select more, it’s an easy and obvious option For those that need or want it.

Reactions: subjonas

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Apple must either be super confident in the capability of their unified memory (which is fair, unified memory has its advantages), or super stingy. It's likely both.
I think Apple is super confident that for every person that NEEDS 16 GB for high end system stressing work, there’s about 100 that, oh, I don’t know, just sent an email to little Jimmy and won’t get on the computer again until after dinner where they’ll do a crossword, read some posts from family, then go to sleep… that doesn’t and will never need more than 8 GB.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
You hit the nail on the head. Are you use a computer as part of your job to earn a living? Guess what, you’re a Pro user, regardless of what your job is.
Apple defined it awhile back:
Apple’s research shows that 15 percent of all Mac users use at least one “pro” app frequently. These are apps for things like music creation, video editing, graphic design, and software development. Basically, apps that are performance intensive. An additional 15 percent of Mac users use pro apps less frequently but at least a few times per month. That 30 percent of the overall Mac user base is what Apple considers the “pro” market.

So back then (and it likely hasn’t changed much), the majority of folks buying any and every Mac were likely to NOT be using “pro” apps frequently. And, even of that 30% that do, half of those only use pro apps a few times per month!

The number of folks that NEED more than 8GB is exceedingly small. BUT, lucky for those folks, Apple actually offers higher spec’d machines just for them!

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I don’t think the majority of users would consider them a “pro” user. It’s not like a sport where if your paid to do it then your a Pro.
Pro means those that power users, or users that need a lot of power. They are running memory, CPU, and/or GPU intensive apps. That’s why we complain when Apple calls a system with 8 GB RAM and supports a single display a “Pro” system.
and the majority of the users (your wording) are not allowed to buy a "pro" MacBook, that suits their needs?

and you can configure it up to 128GB for your "pro" needs ...

Reactions: neuropsychguy

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
What does a professional do? Who is a professional? Isn’t a professional someone who gets paid to do something that’s not just a hobby? My professional spouse runs a small business and uses a base model MacBook Air.

I’m a scientist and professor. I’m paid for that and therefore a professional. Much of what I do could be done on a base MacBook Air, although some of my work requires a high performance cluster. Most of my colleagues could only use a base model MacBook Air and have no problems doing their work (in fact, given the age of some of the computers used, a new base model MBA would be a huge upgrade -- yay for academia!).

Why do some people feel a need to gate-keep what a professional is? One professional just needs to run something like Word and a web browser. Another professional needs TBs of RAM.

Would I buy a computer for myself with 8 GB of RAM? No, but my spouse wouldn't notice the difference between 8GB and 16GB of RAM. The base MBA works without problems. The base 14" MBP is like that to many people -- sufficient.

Now, I'm not agreeing with Apple's decision to start with 8GB of RAM, but it's sufficient for many professionals so I understand their decision from a business perspective.
Exactly! I too am a professional researcher. I use a 14" M1 Pro MacBook with 16GB of RAM at work. I handle huge datasets, but with smart coding I can still easily get by 8GB or less of memory. I'm pretty sure that I could still accomplish most of my work today with my PowerBook G4 running Leopard (if I had the patience that is). I definitely still get work done on my 2010 MacBook when I work from home and don't want to sit at my desk with my M1 Mac mini. The needs of "Pros" are extremely diverse, and a ton of RAM isn't always a necessity for professional work.

I agree though that a new Mac should have more than 8GB as standard in 2023. But I still think that it's a reasonable amount for many users. Just not at the price they're asking for it.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
It’s the “student” Pro machine. It’s far and away more capable of doing college work and recording music.
Compared to what? What is "Pro" about this compared to a yet to be released M3 MB Air?

In other words, please show me the use case of the previous 13" M2 MB "Pro" with Touchbar vs M2 MB Air such that the faux "Pro" M2 was "far and away more capable of doing college work and recording music."

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
RAM is an inherent, defining factor in technology.

I am a techie who knows enough that I don't need an iPad PRO, nor a MacBook PRO anymore - because price-conscious options exist that better fit my performance needs, such as the AIR line of products. And they have 8GB RAM base.

If I choose to expense for a PRO machine, I sure as heck expect a better RAM base than what the AIR line gets to handle higher demands.

One can easily exhaust 8GB of RAM by firing up a few browser tabs of webmail or maps; I saw that with my own eyes with yellow-level memory pressure on an 8GB Air. Pretty pathetic.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don't get the obsession over what amount of RAM constitutes a "Pro" machine. Not every professional use needs a ton of RAM. If you do, great, they'll happily sell you a whole load of RAM, but that doesn't mean everyone has the same needs as you.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
As a professional pickle-baller, their systems are far too heavy to be used professionally. Really can’t understand why they’d say they’re “Pro”.
As a Navy SEAL, the MacBook Pros are far too weak to be used as body armor. I can buy normal armor that costs like 1/10th the cost. Disgraceful for such an expensive device.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Heck - one can easily exhaust 8GB of RAM by firing up a few browser tabs of webmail or maps; I saw that with my own eyes with memory pressure an 8GB Air. Pretty pathetic.
Yep. My base M1 Air was constantly swapping due to just maybe a dozen pinned Safari tabs.

My M1 Pro with 16GB doesn't do that. 16GB should be rock bottom base config in 2023.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
You're a professor and unfamiliar with what constitutes a profession?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional
My questions were rhetorical...

I did also provide the definition of a professional though in case people didn't understand my questions were rhetorical: "someone who gets paid to do something that’s not just a hobby". That's essentially the same definition provided in the Wikipedia link you provided: "A professional is a member of a profession or any person who works in a specified professional activity." I appreciate you backing up my comment.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Apple defined it awhile back:
Apple’s research shows that 15 percent of all Mac users use at least one “pro” app frequently. These are apps for things like music creation, video editing, graphic design, and software development. Basically, apps that are performance intensive. An additional 15 percent of Mac users use pro apps less frequently but at least a few times per month. That 30 percent of the overall Mac user base is what Apple considers the “pro” market.

So back then (and it likely hasn’t changed much), the majority of folks buying any and every Mac were likely to NOT be using “pro” apps frequently. And, even of that 30% that do, half of those only use pro apps a few times per month!
assuming this is still true - an iPhone Pro user has to use "professional" apps? and same for iPad? what about AirPods?

Apple muddles the water by calling everything "Pro" ... and then some "Pros" like MB Air ...
Apple using the term "pro" means nothing anymore ...

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Because 8GB RAM is sufficient for seven out of nine people whose computer buying advice/maintenance I am responsible for.

And some of those really like their audio/visual quality to a higher fidelity.

Don’t get hung up on the word “pro”. You’re using it wrong…

Reactions: Analog Kid

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Not all professionals need >8GB of RAM.

As always, make an informed purchasing decision based on your specific requirements.

^^This.

Apple will sell a certain number of "Pro" machines to rich idiots who don't need pro machines but want other people to think they do.
The will sell a certain number of these entry level pro machines to people who don't need massive computing power or data handling, but do need a great built-in screen to do publishing or video work where colour is important. I'm sure there are plenty of other applications where the screen or some other feature is more suited to some pro jobs than an Air would be.

As for people still complaining about being told that Macs are better with RAM than Wintel machines, for one thing they were always a bit better. They are now a lot better. There are certain apps where the total amount of RAM cannot be compensated for but when you look at the performance of an 8GB M1 Mac Mini using FCP or Logic Pro compared to the previous Intel Macs, having an M3 with the fancy new RAM feature will make that 8GB go even further by the sound of it.

If you're referring to the lack of an extra USB-C port, sure. That was a weird decision that I'm really wondering why they did that. Is it that big a deal having one less USB-C port? Ehh, not really. I only ever use one USB-C port on my 14 inch anyhow. Which ultimately won't matter much since the HDMI and SDXC is still there, and said HDMI is 2.1.

The weird part is that the USB ports are Thunderbolt 3 not Thunderbolt 4.

Reactions: MacPowerLvr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.