Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I've been an android user for years, even though my primary phone right now is the iPhone 5. It started with a HTC Desire, which i swapped for a S2, and then a GS3 last year.

However, I fail to see how the software on such high-end devices ever attracted the general public whom, at least in the US, pay the same price (on contract) as they would for an iPhone.

Android wasn't as popular when I started out, previous to the s2. All I heard was that if I wanted to experience Android, I had to customize it to my own liking, a.k.a. rooting. I'm a tech guy, so I never had a problem with it, but I would never expect my gf to do it, or my less tech-interested friends, or.. well, my mom.

And they don't like Android at all. They HATE touchwiz, find the phones terribly slow compared to iPhones (updates are very late on older models in Norway), and they all wish they'd bitten the apple instead.

And I understand them. They call, they text, snapchat and what else. None of them uses the phone to its potential, not even close. They don't even care for widgets beyond downloading HD (weirdly incorrect) weather widgets from the play store. And the general consumer base will never put in the hours and effort required to begin rooting or advanced customization.

Thing is, suddenly everyone uses Android anyways. Tell me why?

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
First off android is much cheaper. Android does everything a I phone does. People like bigger screens. People like choices like what keypad they can use. I think people are starting to realize that apple is no more then a advertising expert.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
It's not my intention to be rude, but I think you are wrong. I believe that most people don't like or care for choice when it comes to electronics. They want it to work. Which has been the extremely successful marketing strategy for the advertising experts.

This is also why most android users don't bother to change the look of their phones, or purchase swiftkey.

When it comes to something as simple as a phone is (in the big picture) I hardly believe that choice really is the reason high end android smartphones sell that well these days.

Regarding the bigger screen I'll have to agree, but I still see a lot of new android users that would've been better off had they played safe and gotten an iPhone.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The iPhone was restricted to one carrier (locked phones) in the US for years. If you weren't with AT&T, your only choices were to buy an unlocked iPhone (would still only work with GSM, so no Verizon), Android, or Blackberry. That's how Android got so big in the US.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The iPhone was restricted to one carrier (locked phones) in the US for years. If you weren't with AT&T, your only choices were to buy an unlocked iPhone (would still only work with GSM, so no Verizon), Android, or Blackberry. That's how Android got so big in the US.

I didn't know that. Makes sense actually, and it explains the Norwegian situation as well, as Norwegian youths are almost to be considered Americans these days as far as trends and modern culture goes.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's not my intention to be rude, but I think you are wrong. I believe that most people don't like or care for choice when it comes to electronics. They want it to work. Which has been the extremely successful marketing strategy for the advertising experts.

This is also why most android users don't bother to change the look of their phones, or purchase swiftkey.

When it comes to something as simple as a phone is (in the big picture) I hardly believe that choice really is the reason high end android smartphones sell that well these days.

Regarding the bigger screen I'll have to agree, but I still see a lot of new android users that would've been better off had they played safe and gotten an iPhone.

?

Swiftkey is the number one downloaded app in 38 countries. I think that's a pretty bad example of an app people don't download...

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
?

Swiftkey is the number one downloaded app in 38 countries. I think that's a pretty bad example of an app people don't download...

You're right. That however wasn't the point with my reply @ vikingjunior, and the reply would've made the same point if I left swiftkey out of it.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010

I think you've nailed it. I don't have data to go by, but after the massive "Droid" ad campaign, many of my non-Cingular/ATT friends suddenly had Droids in their pockets. I suspect Verizon had much to do with the initial wave of Android adopters. After that, Android continued the momentum with larger screens, high MP camera sensors, turn-by-turn directions, lower pricing, and the expansion of its app library.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I've been an android user for years, even though my primary phone right now is the iPhone 5. It started with a HTC Desire, which i swapped for a S2, and then a GS3 last year.

However, I fail to see how the software on such high-end devices ever attracted the general public whom, at least in the US, pay the same price (on contract) as they would for an iPhone.

Android wasn't as popular when I started out, previous to the s2. All I heard was that if I wanted to experience Android, I had to customize it to my own liking, a.k.a. rooting. I'm a tech guy, so I never had a problem with it, but I would never expect my gf to do it, or my less tech-interested friends, or.. well, my mom.

And they don't like Android at all. They HATE touchwiz, find the phones terribly slow compared to iPhones (updates are very late on older models in Norway), and they all wish they'd bitten the apple instead.

And I understand them. They call, they text, snapchat and what else. None of them uses the phone to its potential, not even close. They don't even care for widgets beyond downloading HD (weirdly incorrect) weather widgets from the play store. And the general consumer base will never put in the hours and effort required to begin rooting or advanced customization.

Thing is, suddenly everyone uses Android anyways. Tell me why?

The carriers make more money from pushing Android phones (pretty much any phones other than the iPhone).

Makes sense that they sell more.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I think you've nailed it. I don't have data to go by, but after the massive "Droid" ad campaign, many of my non-Cingular/ATT friends suddenly had Droids in their pockets. I suspect Verizon had much to do with the initial wave of Android adopters. After that, Android continued the momentum with larger screens, high MP camera sensors, turn-by-turn directions, lower pricing, and the expansion of its app library.

If this is the case, it's actually quite interesting. It would appear that the kings of marketing laid out a red carpet for their competitors, allowing them to calmly seize the throne.

It remains to be seen whether their special contracts with carriers will be worth it in the end, or this will force them to innovate and renew themselves sooner rather than later.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011

it's not even a android thing it's a Samsung thing they're the manufacturer that is putting apple to shame.first the S3 then the note 2 and next is the S4.these are devices that as you say just work.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Take this thread back 20 years and you'd be a macintosh user ranting about how on earth Windows reached the masses and consumers of computers hate choice.

Clearly they do like choice because they're choosing alternatives.

Also given that I believe you'll never accept the possibility that people are choosing Android because they think its better, thus thread is a waste of everyone's time.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Because android really isn't as hard to use as users here would like you to believe. If an 8th grader can use it, I don't see how a full grown adult with half a brain cell couldn't.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Take this thread back 20 years and you'd be a macintosh user ranting about how on earth Windows reached the masses and consumers of computers hate choice.

Clearly they do like choice because they're choosing alternatives.

Also given that I believe you'll never accept the possibility that people are choosing Android because they think its better, thus thread is a waste of everyone's time.

It is hard for the platform backers to see, but majority of people do not buy androids, they buy galaxies or xperias or razrs.

Also when a high end android phone can be had for $0 on a retention contract deal, but they do not budge to lower the iPhone pricing, you know what everyone is going to go for. The galaxy has a bigger screen, runs angry birds and facebook and music, and costs less. Who would want an iPhone? In fact a lot of times i ask myself that question too. I think i need all those apps on my phone, when i end up using 10-20 at most. At this point i would like HTML5 apps to be a real possibility so i can shut this annoying sound in my head for ever :p

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It is hard for the platform backers to see, but majority of people do not buy androids, they buy galaxies or xperias or razrs.

Also when a high end android phone can be had for $0 on a retention contract deal, but they do not budge to lower the iPhone pricing, you know what everyone is going to go for. The galaxy has a bigger screen, runs angry birds and facebook and music, and costs less. Who would want an iPhone? In fact a lot of times i ask myself that question too.

Spot on ^. People don't choose their phones over what OS they run. They buy them based on what their friends/family have, advertising, and price.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

Also when a high end android phone can be had for $0 on a retention contract deal, but they do not budge to lower the iPhone pricing, you know what everyone is going to go for. The galaxy has a bigger screen, runs angry birds and facebook and music, and costs less. Who would want an iPhone? In fact a lot of times i ask myself that question too.

That's how most of the people I know who have an Android phone ended up with one. They'll ask if they can upgrade to the new iPhone, get told it's X amount a month on top of their cap payments, then get told they can get X Android phone (usually the GS3) for $0 extra a month on the same plan. Having seen the GS3 in ads and knowing what it looks like, they then agree.

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
I chose my galaxy s3 purely by choice. I had the money for an iPhone 5. But I went with android and hardware I liked.
I got me a red iPod touch 5g too :p Lol

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I chose my galaxy s3 purely by choice. I had the money for an iPhone 5. But I went with android and hardware I liked.
I got me a red iPod touch 5g too :p Lol

Agreed. I could get any phone I want, but I chose my current phone because it suited me best.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
The carrier availability is the main reason. Also, a lot of the Android phones started out as cheaper phones for the peasants who couldn't afford an iPhone.

The first Android phone that really caught the attention of consumers really was the Motorola Droid. The Verizon and Motorola campaign was huge.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Firstly, I don't believe you or I have data to support this claim.

Let's just assume that you are correct. If this is going on, I believe it would only happen the first time they purchase an Android device. Once they're using the Google and Android ecosystem and have money invested in Android Apps, then I think their next phone will be bought at least in part with the conscious decision of specifically buying Android to remain in that ecosystem, even if the device of the hour at that time is from a different OEM.

I would also argue that much less brand loyalty exists with Android users. A few years ago HTC was king, now it's Samsung. In a year or two it could be something else.

In the last 18 months or so Google has started changing the focus of their Nexus devices away from purely developer or hobbyist devices and towards the general consumer. They have significantly expanded their product range and product awareness during this time and I expect this to continue. If things do progress in this way, with many more consumers using stock Android, brand loyalty to any particular OEM will reduce even further.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Firstly, I don't believe you or I have data to support this claim.

Let's just assume that you are correct. If this is going on, I believe it would only happen the first time they purchase an Android device. Once they're using the Google and Android ecosystem and have money invested in Android Apps, then I think their next phone will be bought at least in part with the conscious decision of specifically buying Android to remain in that ecosystem, even if the device of the hour at that time is from a different OEM.

I would also argue that much less brand loyalty exists with Android users. A few years ago HTC was king, now it's Samsung. In a year or two it could be something else.

In the last 18 months or so Google has started changing the focus of their Nexus devices away from purely developer or hobbyist devices and towards the general consumer. They have significantly expanded their product range and product awareness during this time and I expect this to continue. If things do progress in this way, with many more consumers using stock Android, brand loyalty to any particular OEM will reduce even further.

I agree, its really tough to use an Android device and not know its Android and a Google product to some extent...

Google search bar, Android icons all over the place, I'm in Tapatalk right now and if you don't have an avator there is a picture of a little Android.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I would say it is marketing. In 2011, HTC phones were the most popular Android phones in Canada. I noticed that HTC had a pretty good marketing campaign. I saw their commercials quite often on TV. Nothing as much as Apple which I think is the king of marketing when it comes to technology. The past year, I think that Samsung really stepped up their marketing campaign. I saw their ads everywhere. Of course, it helps to also have some awesome phones as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.