Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Android was pretty crappy when it first came out. It did get much better over time. This is just my opinion, but I think until recently, like the past year and a half, there were no android phones worth buying. The OS is finally getting smooth and the hardware is finally worth the price.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Some people I know have switched because they got bored with iPhones, saw that in many cases it doesn't "just work".

If you look at the crash logs you'll find that iOS apps and functions crash a heck of a lot. iOS just doesn't tell you something has crashed. Android of course will tell you that the app has stopped working.

app-crashes1.png

Performing simple tasks on iOS can be a chore compared to Android with needless extra steps. Want a ringtone on your iPhone? You either have to buy it and hope it's the right 30 seconds you wanted, or go to your Computer, trim down the song, convert it to .m4r and then drag it into iTunes and sync. Android? Drop an audio file into your "Ringtones" folder. On iOS the apps often have no consistency, sometimes the back button is on the bottom, sometimes it's on the top, same for the other buttons.

On Android the back button is always on the bottom right where you need it, no matter what app you're in. iOS apps are often gimped in their features compared to the Android versions, on Dropbox you can can only upload Pictures and Videos in the app, on Android you can upload any file you want. When I had my iPhone I wanted to make edits to a .txt file in my Dropbox, it wouldn't let me. When I got my Android phone it let me do it no problem, (This was months ago when the iPhone 5 launched so let me know if this has changed in an update).

In another app If I get an option to upload a picture, I can upload from any service on Android, iPhone? You can only take a new photo or use one from the Camera Roll.

Don't get me wrong I've used every iPhone except the 3GS and loved them all, but when Android finally matured enough to interest me (Jellybean update) I gave it a chance by buying a Nexus 7 and loved it so much I bought a Nexus 4)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you look at the crash logs you'll find that iOS apps and functions crash a heck of a lot. iOS just doesn't tell you something has crashed. Android of course will tell you that the app has stopped working.

I did not know that. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Some people I know have switched because they got bored with iPhones, saw that in many cases it doesn't "just work".

app-crashes1.png

Performing simple tasks on iOS can be a chore compared to Android with needless extra steps. Want a ringtone on your iPhone? You either have to buy it and hope it's the right 30 seconds you wanted, or go to your Computer, trim down the song, convert it to .m4r and then drag it into iTunes and sync. Android? Drop an audio file into your "Ringtones" folder. On iOS the apps often have no consistency, sometimes the back button is on the bottom, sometimes it's on the top, same for the other buttons.

On Android the back button is always on the bottom right where you need it, no matter what app you're in. iOS apps are often gimped in their features compared to the Android versions, on Dropbox you can can only upload Pictures and Videos in the app, on Android you can upload any file you want. When I had my iPhone I wanted to make edits to a .txt file in my Dropbox, it wouldn't let me. When I got my Android phone it let me do it no problem, (This was months ago when the iPhone 5 launched so let me know if this has changed in an update).

In another app If I get an option to upload a picture, I can upload from any service on Android, iPhone? You can only take a new photo or use one from the Camera Roll.

Don't get me wrong I've used every iPhone except the 3GS and loved them all, but when Android finally matured enough to interest me (Jellybean update) I gave it a chance by buying a Nexus 7 and loved it so much I bought a Nexus 4)

Don't forget about the dedicated menu button too. I posted this recently:

There's no question that at this point in time it's easier to accomplish the same tasks in Android than in iOS. Just look and count how many steps it takes to turn on wifi or private browsing for example (then again to turn it off). The iOS settings menu is a mess too. I constantly have to search for where I want to go; it's not always obvious. Likewise some apps settings are in the app while others are in the general iOS settings. With android there's always a dedicated menu button no matter what screen you're on or app you're in.

The aforementioned ability to attach directly from mail or share to any app you want is also another up on iOS.

And typing... Don't even get me started on the iOS keyboard. Typing on Android is actually a pleasure. Swiping is intuitive and fast. And when SwiftKey predicts full sentences for you, it's an amazing feeling. It's rare but sometimes they get it just right all the way to the end of the sentence. It impresses every time it happens. Conversely typing anything remotely long or serious on iOS is an exercise in frustration: lack of control over your dictionary, lack of suggestion bars, unresponsive keys (I've had so many missed presses), a ridiculously stupid auto correct - don't forget the iOS keyboard gave birth to the internet phenomenon known as "damn you iPhone auto correct". And worse, the keyboard hasn't been updated in years.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Low cost for new tech

Android is really popular now because of the low cost of the phones. They can be bought cheaper on prepaid services than an iPhone. I think it really took off when the prices dropped low enough for lower income people to buy a touch screen phones with apps. A touch screen phone with apps and some data is much cooler than flip phones. They don't care if they have ics or jellybean as long as their phone has a touch screen, can play music, and play angry birds.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Android has also cheap phones which are not outdated.
Huwaei, zte, xtreamer releasing cheap phones with 4.0.

some people don't care if their phones i up to date or not they just want it to work the way it is. but they also pay for it in the end if they think they bought a premium phone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I don't get the whole price thing. Sure a lot of android phones are cheaper on prepaid plans than iPhones but the majority of people in the U.S still sign a two year contract and upgrade every two years. And on a two year contract the price points are the same.

Free
$49 (Apple doesn't have a phone in this tier)
$99
$199
$299.

So no, I don't think it's the price.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've been an android user for years, even though my primary phone right now is the iPhone 5. It started with a HTC Desire, which i swapped for a S2, and then a GS3 last year.

However, I fail to see how the software on such high-end devices ever attracted the general public whom, at least in the US, pay the same price (on contract) as they would for an iPhone.

Android wasn't as popular when I started out, previous to the s2. All I heard was that if I wanted to experience Android, I had to customize it to my own liking, a.k.a. rooting. I'm a tech guy, so I never had a problem with it, but I would never expect my gf to do it, or my less tech-interested friends, or.. well, my mom.

And they don't like Android at all. They HATE touchwiz, find the phones terribly slow compared to iPhones (updates are very late on older models in Norway), and they all wish they'd bitten the apple instead.

And I understand them. They call, they text, snapchat and what else. None of them uses the phone to its potential, not even close. They don't even care for widgets beyond downloading HD (weirdly incorrect) weather widgets from the play store. And the general consumer base will never put in the hours and effort required to begin rooting or advanced customization.

Thing is, suddenly everyone uses Android anyways. Tell me why?

Many people do like Touchwiz though im not one of them when using it as a launcher. And more people than you think do want to do more on their phones and ill just point out the 7 million who have jailbroken their phones in only 1 week of it being out with an estimated 23 million who are using Cydia. And that figure(23 mil) was PRIOR to the newest Jailbreak.

You have to remember, just because it isnt for you or your relatives surely doesnt mean it isnt for many others.

Personally, i wont go back to an iPhone with the way it is now with Android going forward so much faster and imo going beyond what iOS does and the iPhone having the same face since 2007. But, many are loyal and for some reason think it is some sort of prestige to keep using them.
Everybody has their own reasons for using what they do.

And my GS3 wasnt any cheaper than the iP5 is. Android phones do have them go on sale often and Apple just doesnt do that much at all with any of their products. I mean you can get a iP4 for $99, or maybe $49 now but who wants a two year old phone with older tech on a two year contract?

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I did not know that. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Yea anytime an app goes back to the home screen without you pressing the home button, it crashed.

Of course both OSs are pretty reliable in my experience, with Android I've gone to maybe seeing a crash every 2 weeks from seeing an app crash maybe once a week on my iPhone.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Android has a few things:

1. Cheap, cheap, cheap

There are so many cheap Android phones on the market. Not everyone can afford a data plan, 2 year contract, etc.

2. Choice

There are Androids with landscape keyboards (i.e. Droid 1), portrait keyboards (Dell Venue Pro), small screens, big screens, super big batteries (Droid RAZR Maxx), etc.

3. Custom ROMs, rooting, sideloading apps

You can easily install any app you want on Android given you have the .apk file. There is no DRM system like Apple's App Store. It is very easy (relative to iPhone) to root and install custom ROMs. Geek galore.

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
I think the main reason, at least here in Europe, is the price. I know plenty of people who dislike Android but they don't have the money to buy an iPhone or a Windows phone.
As some of you already said, people just want a good looking touchscreen device that can play some music and videos and take some decent picture. Samsung's line starts at as little as 99 euros, for an Android 2.3 device. With some euros more you can get an Xperia.
The cheapest W8 phone is 3 times more expensive than the cheapest Samsung and the cheapst iPhone is 430 euros.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't get the whole price thing. Sure a lot of android phones are cheaper on prepaid plans than iPhones but the majority of people in the U.S still sign a two year contract and upgrade every two years. And on a two year contract the price points are the same.

Free
$49 (Apple doesn't have a phone in this tier)
$99
$199
$299.

So no, I don't think it's the price.

You're right, and in the U.S. the iPhone had over 50% market share in sales for the past quarter. But in the rest of the world where off contract prices matter apple is hovering around 20%.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Firstly, I don't believe you or I have data to support this claim.

Let's just assume that you are correct. If this is going on, I believe it would only happen the first time they purchase an Android device. Once they're using the Google and Android ecosystem and have money invested in Android Apps, then I think their next phone will be bought at least in part with the conscious decision of specifically buying Android to remain in that ecosystem, even if the device of the hour at that time is from a different OEM.

I would also argue that much less brand loyalty exists with Android users. A few years ago HTC was king, now it's Samsung. In a year or two it could be something else.

In the last 18 months or so Google has started changing the focus of their Nexus devices away from purely developer or hobbyist devices and towards the general consumer. They have significantly expanded their product range and product awareness during this time and I expect this to continue. If things do progress in this way, with many more consumers using stock Android, brand loyalty to any particular OEM will reduce even further.

Do you think most average users even buy apps? I'd be surprised if they do.

The reason I ask this is because out of everyone I know, both iOS and Android users, I can only think of two people I know have actually paid for apps.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

The reason I ask this is because out of everyone I know, both iOS and Android users, I can only think of two people I know have actually paid for apps.

Out of all the people I know with these devices, I can't think of a single person who hasn't paid for apps but guess what? This observation of mine is as invalid as yours, since I have absolutely no way of knowing if my sample group is representative of the entire population.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I thought it should be fairly obvious after seeing the app disappear back to home screen with no dialogue :)

Thats why mac/iphone only users think their systems are so amazing, they literally don't KNOW if somethings crashed, they just go back to their desktop or iOS homesceren with no message, on any other system, you get a message telling you what happened.

MAC/iPhone: Crash different. Has been my experience.

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM

That is the only reason ^, marketing.

Samsung played it very smart and it paid off big time. Prior to that add if you asked someone on the street what the S3 was they would have had no idea.

Yes, how do you think Apple got the iPod, and iphone to be a huge success? Same way.

Does no one remember those stupid u2 iPod averts?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Thats why mac/iphone only users think their systems are so amazing, they literally don't KNOW if somethings crashed, they just go back to their desktop or iOS homesceren with no message, on any other system, you get a message telling you what happened.

MAC/iPhone: Crash different. Has been my experience.

----------

Yes, how do you think Apple got the iPod, and iphone to be a huge success? Same way.

Does no one remember those stupid u2 iPod averts?

Why are you getting so defensive? It isn't a bad thing, like I said it was amazingly Smart on Samsung's part. They put together a perfect add and aired it at the right time.

Apple has been doing a great job of it for a much longer time. No one is gonna be able to see how awesome a device is if companies dont showcase it in an interesting way.

Now if only Samsung could catch up to Apple's customer service :rolleyes:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
It is hard for the platform backers to see, but majority of people do not buy androids, they buy galaxies or xperias or razrs.

Also when a high end android phone can be had for $0 on a retention contract deal, but they do not budge to lower the iPhone pricing, you know what everyone is going to go for. The galaxy has a bigger screen, runs angry birds and facebook and music, and costs less. Who would want an iPhone? In fact a lot of times i ask myself that question too. I think i need all those apps on my phone, when i end up using 10-20 at most. At this point i would like HTML5 apps to be a real possibility so i can shut this annoying sound in my head for ever :p

Good points, I think Samsung is starting to gather quite a following with the Galaxy Line. The GS3 is still considered a high end phone and is close to reaching the 1 year mark. Yet it is still priced at $200 on contract from the major carriers and apparently is still selling by large amounts. I believe it might be the first Android Phone that has retained its launch price well after launch and continued to sell very well.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Out of all the people I know with these devices, I can't think of a single person who hasn't paid for apps but guess what? This observation of mine is as invalid as yours, since I have absolutely no way of knowing if my sample group is representative of the entire population.

Fair enough. It was more of a question than an argument. Hardly anybody I know is interested in using their phone for any more than casual gaming, Facebook, messaging etc.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Now if only Samsung could catch up to Apple's customer service :rolleyes:

You never say never, however I doubt this will ever happen. They would need to build out a large retail presence and while they are beginning to grab a large share of the market all they have put out are essentially popup shops and kiosks. At least in the US that is.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Yet the single biggest reason I see people reluctant to change from iOS to a different mobile OS is because they don't want to buy all their apps again.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've been an android user for years, even though my primary phone right now is the iPhone 5. It started with a HTC Desire, which i swapped for a S2, and then a GS3 last year.

However, I fail to see how the software on such high-end devices ever attracted the general public whom, at least in the US, pay the same price (on contract) as they would for an iPhone.

Android wasn't as popular when I started out, previous to the s2. All I heard was that if I wanted to experience Android, I had to customize it to my own liking, a.k.a. rooting. I'm a tech guy, so I never had a problem with it, but I would never expect my gf to do it, or my less tech-interested friends, or.. well, my mom.

And they don't like Android at all. They HATE touchwiz, find the phones terribly slow compared to iPhones (updates are very late on older models in Norway), and they all wish they'd bitten the apple instead.

And I understand them. They call, they text, snapchat and what else. None of them uses the phone to its potential, not even close. They don't even care for widgets beyond downloading HD (weirdly incorrect) weather widgets from the play store. And the general consumer base will never put in the hours and effort required to begin rooting or advanced customization.

Thing is, suddenly everyone uses Android anyways. Tell me why?
It's simple really. All that you've talked about is past history.

Most of us live in the present. The current top of the line Android phones have great performance, speed & reliability.

I use both iOS & Android.

They're both excellent, with the current advantage going to Android 4.2.x for its plethora of excellent features. It has functionality beyond what Apple offers, yet they will eventually catch up.

At the end of the day, only enthusiast get all caught up in the minutiae, while the general public buy their Androids or iPhones and just use them.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
On tech forums ;)

Meh, I'm not sure. Its a sound reason to not want to leave. I don't have too much invested in iOS app (less then 150 bucks or so) but I could definitely see that being a deciding factor. Personally I don't care, I probably have 50 or so in Android apps (not cause I buy/use less on Android but they are generally less expensive or free).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For my friends, it's probably the larger screen first and foremost, followed by the desire to "not use Apple products because everyone else is using them".

They are the ones who also don't bother changing many of the default settings on their phones, likely won't update the OS ever, don't even know what imessage is, and use it for basic purposes like calls, email, web-surfing, light-gaming and watching videos. So they would be largely indifferent between an iphone or android phone, but I guess the larger screens of the S3 and Note2 won them over in the end.

Second, and more ironic, some claimed to stop using iphone because it was "too restrictive", yet I don't see them doing anything with their android phones that you can't already do on an iphone anyways. I guess at a time where over half the colleagues in my school were on iphones, it seemed cool to buck the trend and wield a different device. :p

Pity, because that makes imessaging them from my macbook or ipad just a tad more difficult. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.