Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Mine shows usage when I am sleeping. :(

But you might be on to something, recently my iMac starts staying awake all night.

I wonder if your Mac might be waking for iCloud or incoming iMessages and then staying awake due to repeated server connection attempts. Perhaps the same thing is happening with iOS devices.

I noticed my iPhone shows increased usage overnight while I'm sleeping as well, but it's limited usage compared to the excessive usage I notice at other times. While I'm sleeping, usage increases "only" about 30-40min over eight hours. Not bad when you compare it to the other periods where it can increase 30-40min in under an hour. It's these periods I'm calling excessive, and I can generally correlate some other device and iCloud usage to coincide with it when it occurs. On my Mac, I use Safari, edit some Notes, maybe send a handful of iMessages. All using iCloud syncing.

Hedo

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
I'm also experiencing worse battery life with 9.3.1 than earlier version. The 9.3 beta 7 gave me great batteryife but it went a bit downhill With 9.3 and now even worse the 9.3.1. Does anyone know if Apple has stopped signing the 9.3 beta's?

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I'm also experiencing worse battery life with 9.3.1 than earlier version. The 9.3 beta 7 gave me great batteryife but it went a bit downhill With 9.3 and now even worse the 9.3.1. Does anyone know if Apple has stopped signing the 9.3 beta's?

Not sure on the betas. My guess would be they stopped signing the betas the moment 9.3 GM was released. I know Apple stopped signing 9.2.1 two days ago, leaving only 9.3.1.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Those users who's batteries has maintained a high hold capacity 97% plus after over a 100 cycles
Do you allow the battery to die before charging or do you charge it at any given percentage?

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
For anyone who noticed a significant drop in there battery life - particularly standby - after upgrading from iOS 9.2.3 to 9.3.x - how is your battery life now after a couple of months & iOS updates? Is it still worse than it was on 9.2.3 or has it stabilized?

Back in late March when I upgraded to 9.3 from 9.2.3 on my 6s Plus (Samsung chip), I noticed a dramatic decrease in standby battery life. Where the iPhone had drained only 1-2% over 5-7hrs standby before the update, it was draining 8-10% in the same period after the update. I kept using it with the same horrendous drain for over a week before downgrading back to 9.2.3. After the downgrade, the prior good standby drains returned so it did have something to do with 9.3. I also notice much higher standby drainage on my iPad Air in the three months since I updated it. The iPad on 9.2.3 used to be able to go many hours (8-12) on standby with a full charge before dropping from 100% to 99%. On 9.3.x, it drops within an hour. After about 8hrs, it's dropped about 6-8%. Way worse than before.

Since March, 9.3.1 and 9.3.2 have been released. I'm wondering if maybe some bug got fixed and it might be time to upgrade again, although there are still many posts about people having bad drain after updating to 9.3.1 and 9.3.2. I'm also still seeing poor standby on my iPad with 9.3.2, so I don't expect this has been fixed. Don't want to update and immediately regret it though, considering I can't go back to 9.2.3 anymore. It's ridiculous that such a small update should have such an impact on standby drains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.