Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Used them back in elementary school... from '85 until '89.

The desktops in the house were Windows.

Then I started using OSX two years ago. Had my Powerbook for a year and a half.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
dynamicv said:
Since System 7 came out. What was that, 1991?

We've owned macs in my familiy since 7.0, but I used some 6.x somethings at school too.

Suffice it to say, OS X is a nice little step up from those days.

bennyboi

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
West Coast
The Old Icons

The old icons were the bomb! No, literally- remember the bomb? Nothing like getting a fatal error with a picture of a bomb on it. I nearly pooed my pants the 1st time I got it (OS 8.6er). Then I almost broke the CD tray because I didn't have the foresight of throwing the CD in the *garbage can* to eject. There's actually a widget with all those old skool icons, because there just aren't enough widgets.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Well we certainly have some long-time users around here :)

Expected, for sure.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
First Mac I ever touched was an SE.... way back in late eighties when my dad brought it home from work (he worked at KPMG, when they were all Macs...)
It ran System 6.whatever, and had the multifinder option! :p

Later, somewhere early nineties we got the LC 4/40. That had System 7 on it, and had a colour screen! :cool:

But, I first actually used a Mac myself when OS 8 arrived.

Got my first Mac-related job in 1999, and have been a fanatic ever since.

I personally loved the Mac OS X-development...
Was given Rhapsody Server, and via Hotline (remember that??) I tried to get hold of all the Developer Previews of OS X before the Public Beta was available. The transition from Rhapsody to Mac OS X was fun to follow (from "Platinum"-style interface to fully Aqua)

:)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
been using macs since before the IIgs, though i was too young to remember really... not sure what system that is, but it's around 20 years i guess...

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
I managed to get my first Mac pretty much within a week or so of Tiger coming out, having waited for so long previously. Still got my old Dell which I had to use for a bit when my PB broke and I was waiting for my MBP to be delivered. Man that made me treasure the MBP so much more.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I've used Macs since the original Macintosh 128k... so, 22 years.

There have been times when I've nearly switched to PC though, since things weren't so rosy while The Steve was away. Now, with Mac OS X, using a Mac is better than ever.

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
Well my dad used to use an LC III and then a Power Macintosh (one of the ones with a DOS card so you could press a hotkey to switch into DOS), the last OS I used was System 7.5.3 and it seemed to crash loads! Especially when browsing the Net (using Netscape ;) )

So you could say that was my first experience using Macs, probably around 8,9 years ago now. After that it was all PCs.

But in August 2004, switched back to the Mac - haven't looked back!

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
My first mac was a Performa 6200, so sometime around mid 1995, was still using an Atari up till then :cool:

And i didn't use a PC seriously until 1998 or so, and that was purely because i needed some apps that were Windows only :D then i built up a PC for gaming shortly after and now i live in a nice mixed house... The Macs still get the most use of course, the PCs are nothing more than uber games machines :eek:

Oh, still got all my old Atari hardware too, including a massive laser printer :rolleyes:

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I've been using a Mac since my Dad brought home a Mac Classic in early 1986. I even remember the days where a 40MB external Hard-drive was about 10 inches long x 6 Inches high x 3 inches thick... now I have a 1 GB mini SD in my phone ... now that's progress! :D

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
I've been a user for 1.5 years now and I'm loving it.
You get the occasional blips but I have to say that I enjoy
my computing experience when I come home as opposed to
the hell I deal with at work.
Yes, you guessed it, I have to use windoze at work.:mad:

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Mac user since 1989, when my father purchased a Mac SE. It shipped with System 6. Bought my own first Mac in 1992, a used Plus.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Since graphic design switched to being done on computers, about 20 years.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Let's see, started with my IIc in.....'82? Then I lapsed, or should I say "went over to the dark side". I'm not proud of that period :eek: but I did come back starting with Panther. So, I'm pretty new. I know one thing, I won't stray anymore! One G5 (ok, it's the dinky 1.6 but it gets me where I'm going) and two iBooks (wife and daughter). Geee, a nice 17 MacBook Pro would be nice for Father's Day:D

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Raid said:
I've been using a Mac since my Dad brought home a Mac Classic in early 1986. I even remember the days where a 40MB external Hard-drive was about 10 inches long x 6 Inches high x 3 inches thick... now I have a 1 GB mini SD in my phone ... now that's progress! :D
I have a 80MB HDD that is about 16" long, 3" thick, and 8" wide, its huge!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.