Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just upgraded to 50 mbps for only $49.99 a month.

dangit. i have 20mbps DL/1mb UP (get about 16000kbps) and pay $99.95 AUD. get only 25 ****** gb permonth, but for some reason i get unlimited downloads on the last day.

my ISP is the main one in our country, they are the biggest rip of anything i have ever seen. this is the fastest our net can go in our region, up until last week it used to be 8mb...

sad really, our country is so far behind.

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I'm so jealous. I wish I could do something like that, but cable in my apartment complex is limited to Time Warner (Comcast) and so that's who I have. Bummer.

Agreed and I sympathize. With my Time Warner service I'm lucky if I can get 50K down on a stupid torrent. Man I hate torrents... SO SLOW.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Lots of nice collections, guys. The effort put in to some of them is pretty mind blowing.

I'm (unfortunately) a Windows guy. I'm thinking of going with an iMac or perhaps a beefed-up Mini in the near future but right now...

Are there any easy utilities ala MetaX for Windows? I'd like to be able to add those MPAA ratings and the descriptions and all that good jazz too! :D

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
It's a work in progess. I don't have a ton of DVDs, but enough to make me want to do this. Once it's done I'll reward myself with an :apple:TV. Probably about 25 DVDs to go!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 435

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I finally made the Leopard leap last night so onto the new handbreak I go. Some movies I will have to re-rip but after I am done it should be quite pleasant. Now if I could find more HT pieces in the aTV form factor I would be quite pleased. There is no reason a Blu-ray player needs to be size of one of my amps.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I've got a bunch of HD mkv files (LOTR, Star Wars, Matrix, etc) that I would love to organize in iTunes the way you guys have your TV shows and movies organized. How do I go about doing it? What program do I need to convert the HUGE 1080P mkv files I have into something that is HD but iTunes can also handle? Or is there a plug-in to let iTunes work with mkv files?

I've got a Shuttle SN21G5 running a AMD 2.4ghz duo with 2GB of RAM, ATI X1950, 300GB internal HD and a 500GB WD MyBook and XP.

Let me know what you guys think would be the best thing for me to do. Thanks a bunch! :)

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I've got a bunch of HD mkv files (LOTR, Star Wars, Matrix, etc) that I would love to organize in iTunes the way you guys have your TV shows and movies organized. How do I go about doing it? What program do I need to convert the HUGE 1080P mkv files I have into something that is HD but iTunes can also handle? Or is there a plug-in to let iTunes work with mkv files?

I've got a Shuttle SN21G5 running a AMD 2.4ghz duo with 2GB of RAM, ATI X1950, 300GB internal HD and a 500GB WD MyBook and XP.

Let me know what you guys think would be the best thing for me to do. Thanks a bunch! :)

If you get VLC Player for windows and just export to .mp4.(Freeware),

Or if you have Quicktime Pro try and open it up in QT Pro if it opens and you can play the video then export using the .mp4 pass though. (I'll see if you can open MKV's in QT Pro for windows later to day and get back to you.)

Not sure on the tagging side of things though.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
If you get VLC Player for windows and just export to .mp4.(Freeware),

Or if you have Quicktime Pro try and open it up in QT Pro if it opens and you can play the video then export using the .mp4 pass though. (I'll see if you can open MKV's in QT Pro for windows later to day and get back to you.)

Not sure on the tagging side of things though.

VLC Player can export MKV to MP4? I didn't see any way to do that.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
You guys have got me hooked on this. I'm now running around my house looking for all my DVDs to rip. I just transfered my movies from my internal HD to my G-Drive Mini because they were filling up my HD FAST :eek:

MrPunk2u

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
West Hollywood, CA
I really didn't realize it was that little of space. I have a 37 inch LCD in my front room and a 32 inch LCD in my bedroom and all my movies look great on those TVs. I'm eyeballing a 60 inch plasma and I'm really concerned that my movies won't look so great on that. Hopefully, a affordable BluRay burner comes out and I can move as many movies as possible into HD. Costco here I come to get another external hard drive.

Yeah, I just upped to a 46" Samsung LCD, so that is kinda the motivation behind the HD rips

(Oh and earlier you said something about the iPod handling those...it depends if they are ripped at 640 X____ or 720X____ cuz I don't think the 720's will play

thrasherlife

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
Got started ripping and cataloging last week after the HB release. The new Mac Pro makes it a LOT easier

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 480

chme6583

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Those aren't atv compatible though right? Most I've run into are high profile and won't play on the ATV ... got to transcode them :( into a main profile h264

No, they are not. I use Visual Hub to convert them. The picture looks great and the sound is decent, but I wish the sound would convert at a little higher bitrate.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
wow MP, what are its specs???

btw ive never heard of any of those movies in your collection...... maybe im too young?? ;)

You've never heard of Bad Boys II, Reservoir Dogs, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Miami Vice or Last King of Scotland all made in the last 20 years. 16 and i know almost half of his, How old are you?

BTW ThrasherLife great collection.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You've never heard of Bad Boys II, Reservoir Dogs, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Miami Vice or Last King of Scotland all made in the last 20 years. 16 and i know almost half of his, How old are you?

BTW ThrasherLife great collection.

nope never heard of any of those, oh wait except for Miami Vice....

pretty sad isnt it :(

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
All those movies are out in OZ can't believe you don't know of Harold and Kumar at least LoL. They are funny as Hell

marioalexander

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
i have a question, say hypothetically i rent hd movies from say blockbuster or netflix. i could just rip those to my comp via metax?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.