Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
Why do you have 3 copies of the same movie?

Here are my TV shows so far. Only have 5 movies in iTunes right now but I have another 40 ripped, just need to move around stuff on the hard drives. Trying to finish getting Top Gear into iTunes by next week.

Screenshot2011-03-13at100139PM.png

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
Here are all of my movies so far. Going to convert another big batch while I'm out of town this weekend, wish I had a new iMac to speed this up.

Screenshot2011-05-04at112954PM.png

lc25

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
Having read through all 46 pages my head is spinning..... From different people i see you all use different software i'm currently using Visual Hub to convert but i'm sure out of date Can i just ask one question ?

Which is the best conversion software for .avi/ .mkv to mp4 ?
Which is the best software for tagging your converted files ?

Ok so thats two but it falls under one in my book, in terms of best im talking more about the one which most people seem to be using at this moment in time.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks LC

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Having read through all 46 pages my head is spinning..... From different people i see you all use different software i'm currently using Visual Hub to convert but i'm sure out of date Can i just ask one question ?

Ok so thats two but it falls under one in my book, in terms of best im talking more about the one which most people seem to be using at this moment in time.

Thanks LC

It's not worth it. Too much time to do conversions etc

Just get air video and call it a day my friend

What do u guys think?

twdawson

macrumors 6502a

Thanks LC

I use Handbrake to convert all my video and dont have a problem.
MKV files i still use handbrake but i depends on the audio, if its dts then i run them through MKV Tools first which only takes minutes.

For tagging i use Metax but the windows version as it allows me to tag the video as HD.

There are probably better ways of doing it than my way but its just the way i have become used to and i know it works.

Hope that helps.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Thanks LC

Easy answer, use Handbrake for the conversion and then identify to tag and add to iTunes.

Once in iTunes use playlist folders and smart playlist to organize.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It's not worth it. Too much time to do conversions etc

Just get air video and call it a day my friend

What do u guys think?

I like air video but it is no substitute for properly converting tagging and adding to iTunes. That way you have direct access to this with all of your Apple TV's.

With Air Video you need to use an iOS device to send the video to the Apple TV.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Still in the process. Use RipIt to Rip, Handbrake to Encode, then MetaX. Unfortunately, for some reason I want ALL my movies and TV Shows to look as if they were bought from iTunes, so when I use MetaX for the metadata, I manually type everything in from iTunes, and make sure I get the proper iTunes artwork. Don't ask me why I feel the need to do this.

jendrik

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008

Thanks LC

You can try using the latest beta of iFlicks for adding mkv videos to iTunes (use the "iTunes compatible" preset). It is pretty fast and most files will play on the ATV2, iPad, IPhone without time consuming encoding.

To tag videos right from within iTunes you can use the iTunes Servies menu (also new to the iFlicks beta). This makes updating metadata a blast.

You can download the latest beta of iFlicks from http://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg. I appreciate any feedback I can get.

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Here are my TV shows so far. Only have 5 movies in iTunes right now but I have another 40 ripped, just need to move around stuff on the hard drives. Trying to finish getting Top Gear into iTunes by next week.

Hello

I have a question:

How can we group many TV seasons of one show, into one single icon in that view (right above on the link I am quoting) ? For example "Las Vegas" would be one icon only. If you click on it you have all your seasons nested under that one icon.

Is this feasible?

Please advise, thank you.

François

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

Hello

I have a question:

How can we group many TV seasons of one show, into one single icon in that view (right above on the link I am quoting) ? For example "Las Vegas" would be one icon only. If you click on it you have all your seasons nested under that one icon.

Is this feasible?

François

Doesn't appear to be an option :(

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC

Hello

I have a question:

Is this feasible?

François

I haven't tried it, but I imagine you could just put them all in the same grouping. Might need to change the episode ID's from episode 1 to 101 and season 2 episode 1 to 201.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Hello

I have a question:

With the ATV2 as it currently stands, no, not possible. The ATV1 does it well, but still waiting for them to 'fix' iOS for this.

Only option is to create playlists to do it, or alter all the episode numbers as mentioned. I don't suggest this as IF Apple ever does fix this issue, you'll have to go back and redo the episode numbers.

ichaddy

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
Here's the TV Shows, its been painful to catalog the some 1200 episodes. For example why all the Frasier or Friends are not in a single series is a big question mark Apple!

Attachments

• tvshows.png
    tvshows.png
    483.7 KB · Views: 425

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Until iTunes (or a third-party plugin) allows iTunes to host any video file (avi, mkv, m2ts, mp4, iso, etc...) without converting, I'll just be using Finder. I've got some 500 movies on an external RAID drive and they will be staying there!

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Until iTunes (or a third-party plugin) allows iTunes to host any video file (avi, mkv, m2ts, mp4, iso, etc...) without converting, I'll just be using Finder. I've got some 500 movies on an external RAID drive and they will be staying there!
Why not just encode them all to .mv4 in the first place?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Here is mine… All of the movies have descriptions, artists, producers, directors, etc… A majority of them are HD, the ones that ares are from my DVD collection. I have about another 30 DVD's to rip and about 15-20 more HD movies to convert to iTunes media. ;-)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-01 at 11.47.47 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-01 at 11.47.47 AM.png
    536.4 KB · Views: 321

fuseman13

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
I'd post a screen shot of mine but I don't know how to capture it?

I'm new to the Apple Family, I have a iPhone, iPad, iMac and ATV2. The last 3 were all purchased with in the last 45 days. My database is housed on a Synology NAS DiskStation.

I use MakeMKV for my full DVD rips, those I store in a different partition of my NAS, (I haven't gotten to my 100+ BluRays yet but I'll use MakeMKV for those as well) and I use Handbrake so iTunes can use it, then MetaX to get my info and cover art.

I'm pretty finicky about how things are organized in my iTunes account so I make sure all movies are labeled with as much info as possible and I make sure they are "Sorted" properly. So if I have a trilogy or series of movies they come up in order of first to last.

I have about 200 DVD movies ripped so far (around 250gig's) with about 150 to go, then onto the BluRays.
Oh yeah...I've been lurking for a few months and this is my first post.

HateMondays

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Still in the process. Use RipIt to Rip, Handbrake to Encode, then MetaX. Unfortunately, for some reason I want ALL my movies and TV Shows to look as if they were bought from iTunes, so when I use MetaX for the metadata, I manually type everything in from iTunes, and make sure I get the proper iTunes artwork. Don't ask me why I feel the need to do this.

I'm the same, apart from I use subler on my mac.

On that note does anyone have Avatar purchased from iTunes store?
I've only just ripped it but as it's no longer available I am failing to get the proper metadata.

Last edited:

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
All mine have the album cover art and the ID3 tag descriptions and everything although I mostly have TV Shows!

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
You can try using the latest beta of iFlicks for adding mkv videos to iTunes (use the "iTunes compatible" preset). It is pretty fast and most files will play on the ATV2, iPad, IPhone without time consuming encoding.

To tag videos right from within iTunes you can use the iTunes Servies menu (also new to the iFlicks beta). This makes updating metadata a blast.

You can download the latest beta of iFlicks from http://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg. I appreciate any feedback I can get.

For me, this is the best app to get tags for tvshows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.