Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
TV shows are a pain in the A$$, well to be fair so far the TV show The Office (US version) is a pain in the A$$.

The DVD's are a nightmare when trying to pick the right title to run through HB, i have to play each episode and make note of the title. Also for some reason when i dump them into iDentify for tagging the information is all messed up. I am using the same naming convention that i have used for several other TV shows ("Show Name" S1E2).

I have done all the seasons of Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, King Of Queens, Archer etc… and never had the kind of trouble I am having with The Office.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Yes TV Shows are a pain, and take much more work than just 1 movie file. Not sure if meta x has a tagging database of tv shows, but that would be your best bet as doing it manually will take you forever...im speaking from experience!

Yes, Meta X has a database of TV shows (or, more correctly, it can pull tag sets from TagChimp). However, rather than rely on trying to pick a random tag set, I find it best to create a preset for each season. Load up Meta X with the info you want for every episode in a season - including the artwork - click "Preset", then "+" and name your new preset.

Then, when tagging the individual shows, click the preset you created to populate the window with all the consistent data (show name, cast list, season #, genre, rating etc.). After that, it's just a case of filling in the episode-specific data such as episode name/number, synopsis, director, writer etc.).

It's still a little clunky, but it does speed thins up a little.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
TV shows are a pain in the A$$, well to be fair so far the TV show The Office (US version) is a pain in the A$$.

The DVD's are a nightmare when trying to pick the right title to run through HB, i have to play each episode and make note of the title. Also for some reason when i dump them into iDentify for tagging the information is all messed up. I am using the same naming convention that i have used for several other TV shows ("Show Name" S1E2).

I have done all the seasons of Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, King Of Queens, Archer etc… and never had the kind of trouble I am having with The Office.

I do not find this problem. If you are ripping/encoding directly with HB, it will default to the "Play All" track, but each individual episode is on the title list too. Just ignore the 2 1/2 hour main track, and select/encode the six 22 minute tracks individually. They are almost always in episode run order, so you can encode them with the correct episode title right from HB.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I am currently ripping my DVD collection using Ripit and then converting using Handbreak, I have had issues with Metax and no longer want to use it. Iflicks seems to be getting good comments, but if I have all the movies in Itunes will iflicks still add the tags or do I have to delete them out of itunes add the tags and then recopy them back in.

As far as I can tell it wll recopy them in. VideoDrive has a dedicated feature to add metadata to iTunes videos. Select the video in iTunes and click "Add metadata". No recopying done.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I do not find this problem. If you are ripping/encoding directly with HB, it will default to the "Play All" track, but each individual episode is on the title list too. Just ignore the 2 1/2 hour main track, and select/encode the six 22 minute tracks individually. They are almost always in episode run order, so you can encode them with the correct episode title right from HB.

That is exactly how all of my TV shows have worked except for "The Office"

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
As far as I can tell it wll recopy them in. VideoDrive has a dedicated feature to add metadata to iTunes videos. Select the video in iTunes and click "Add metadata". No recopying done.

Simply unclick the 'add to iTunes' button in iFlicks, and the meta data will be written into a 'copy' of the original file, and the original will be deleted auromatically.

ANY PROGRAM, will always write to a copy of the original, before writing the metadata, simply to ensure that if anything goes wrong, ie: power failure, Computer freeze....you still have the original uncorrupted file. If the program doesn't, your risking your data.

If the program really doesnt, but only writes the meta data to itunes, again, anything goes wrong, you lose the good work you've done and are left with movies minus metadata.

Be patient, and do it right....whichever program you use.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I think iFlicks has a apple script that it adds to your iTunes menu for you to edit material allready in there.

I use Identify2 and it does not have a feature like that. I do like the program though, have had great luck with it.

Identify2 is amazing! Brilliant how it automatically starts tagging your videos as you add them. Ive been manually tagging with Subler for the last 12 months since meta x stopped working. Identify2 is better than both by far.

I edited content already in iTunes with Identify2 just fine. Once written, "just get" info on the itunes content to refresh the data.

Tried iFlicks but for some reason couldnt get it to work or even open any files.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Here here is my library and how i have it. All of this is stored on my 4 TB nas because the itunes folder was close to a 1TB and my imac was running out of space

Attachments

• Movies.jpg
    Movies.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 501
  • TV Shows.jpg
    TV Shows.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 298

jmor

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
NJ, USA
I've only been doing movies up until now and I just started like two weeks ago and it's been going pretty good, although now I see there are better and more efficient ways I may try out. I've been using MetaX for movies, but now I just got a couple seasons of Entourage on DVD and ripped them with handbrake by each individual episode. Now I want to get the metadata but MetaX isn't working well, and in iTunes they are showing up in the Movies tab instead of the TV Show tab. I'm also unsure how I'm supposed to tag a TV Show, anyone have any tips/ideas? Thanks

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I've only been doing movies up until now and I just started like two weeks ago and it's been going pretty good, although now I see there are better and more efficient ways I may try out. I've been using MetaX for movies, but now I just got a couple seasons of Entourage on DVD and ripped them with handbrake by each individual episode. Now I want to get the metadata but MetaX isn't working well, and in iTunes they are showing up in the Movies tab instead of the TV Show tab. I'm also unsure how I'm supposed to tag a TV Show, anyone have any tips/ideas? Thanks

I use identify2, name each episode like this
"name of show" S1E1
So season 1 episode 1 of the office would be
The Office S1E1
I have done over 1,000 tv episodes using this approach with Identify and it has worked well.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
"name of show" S1E1
The Office S1E1
I have done over 1,000 tv episodes using this approach with identify2 and it has worked well.

To the other poster, Stop using metax and use identify2 and I'm sure all your problems will be solved.

Thanks for the tv tagging tip, I'm going to go through and redo all of my tv shows in iTunes like this. After doing it manually for so long o was beginning to lose the will to live

Last edited:

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know why everyone disses MetaX, specifically for TV shows. I've used it for my entire library and love it. First of all, when adding any files to MetaX it asks if you're tagging a TV show or Movie, so there's no excuse for it flagging your stuff as movies unless you told it to. Secondly, I wish people would stop acting like the internet has to do everything for them or it isn't worth being done. I grab the dates and synopsis information for TV episodes on TV.com and manually copy and paste it myself. I can fly through an entire season of a TV show in less time than it takes to watch a 30 minute sitcom episode (which I usually have in the background to pass the time). MetaX does a great job and if people can't figure out how to use it, then yeah, I recommend finding something else. But it shouldn't ever be because it doesn't get the job done, because it does.

*gets off soap box* :cool:

jmor

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
NJ, USA
Okay, thanks for the responses, where should I download iDentify, I'll try it out. So far I've been doing S1-V(volume or disk number)1-E1 but maybe that way will work better.

And I don't mark them as movies if they are TV shows and I have liked MetaX over all the others because it is the most straight forward, but it is having a hard time finding any information for my TV shows so it's getting to be a hassle. I would just like something a bit more automated that made it so I didn't have to do so much manually, but each to their own.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Okay, thanks for the responses, where should I download iDentify, I'll try it out. So far I've been doing S1-V(volume or disk number)1-E1 but maybe that way will work better.

And I don't mark them as movies if they are TV shows and I have liked MetaX over all the others because it is the most straight forward, but it is having a hard time finding any information for my TV shows so it's getting to be a hassle. I would just like something a bit more automated that made it so I didn't have to do so much manually, but each to their own.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33814/identify-2

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
thanks for the info on iDentify. I was already using a SHOW S#E# naming convention and it works great. Even on a series I had labeled as SxE it picked up just fine. Man oh man, my TV shows are going to look as sexy as my Movies do.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008

http://www.aroona.net/VideoDrive/Home.html

Can tag your existing TV shows in iTunes and import new ones as well.

Shambles

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK
Here's my collection stored on a 1TB external drive. 167 Movies so far..

Screenshot2011-03-07at074142.png

Never thought of importing them into iTunes.. Will it be worth all the time taken converting all my .mkvs to .mp4s? What programs do you recommend for this?

Last edited by a moderator:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Never thought of importing them into iTunes.. Will it be worth all the time taken converting all my .mkvs to .mp4s? What programs do you recommend for this?

nice collection, are they ripped BDs? i wouldnt bother, unless you want them all in the iTunes library.

HandBrake would be your best tool to convert (for free)

ichaddy

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
Nice thread.

"Release date" tag for movies

Tagging in either iTunes or Subler doesn't show up on the ATV2. Any ideas, is there another tag I should be using?

Cheers

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Here's my collection stored on a 1TB external drive. 167 Movies so far..

Screenshot2011-03-07at074142.png

For MKV to MP4 your best bet is to use the application MKVtools
http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmdownload.html

This application extracts the video and audio in its native format from the Mkv file and creates an MP4 file within minutes. Also works for avi files. Using handbrake would take at least an hour for the average film

I only use handbrake when I need to make a video smaller to go onto my iPod/iPhone

Shambles

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK
For MKV to MP4 your best bet is to use the application MKVtools
http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmdownload.html

This application extracts the video and audio in its native format from the Mkv file and creates an MP4 file within minutes. Also works for avi files. Using handbrake would take at least an hour for the average film

I only use handbrake when I need to make a video smaller to go onto my iPod/iPhone

And that won't reduce the quality or anything? And the file size is the same? Thanks.

nice collection, are they ripped BDs?

Cheers, haha erm I downloaded them from torrents.. :p

Jaunty

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
London, England
"name of show" S1E1
The Office S1E1
I have done over 1,000 tv episodes using this approach with Identify and it has worked well.
I use iDentify2 as well, paid for the full version for the import in to iTunes feature. Only been ripping a few weeks, have done a dozen movies or so, and 264 episodes (I think!) of Frasier. I use Show.SXX.Exx as my episode file name in Handbrake ie Frasier.S01.E01 and it has worked fine. Would not have done it without it! (Can you set the default type to Movie or TV Show in iDentify2 does any one know?).

And can I ask how people would catalogue this - Crusade in Europe, a TV documentary, various Volumes (ie discs) each with 4 x 20 minutes chapters on. I am ripping the whole discs and putting the chapter titles in as the description and in the chapter fields, and tagged as a TV Show genre documentary. Or is it better long term to rip the chapters individually? Cheers.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
And that won't reduce the quality or anything? And the file size is the same? Thanks.

Yep exactly the same quality as long as the source video/audio is encoded in an MP4 friendly format: i.e. h264 for the video and AAC or AC3 for the audio. Sometimes for example if the video is in WMV format it also will encode it like handbrake does, to a h264 video.

I just couldn't imagine using handbrake to convert a 9GB HD MKV to MP4. It would take so long and it would probably be of reduced quality.

@ Jaunty - for future proofing purposes I would just split the chapters as separate files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.