Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
IT STILL DOES IT!!!!

Can anyone help I like it when I update my computer but not for safari (I usually have 7 windows and max tabs for each so it takes ages to reopen)

See attachment I have unchecked the box but that doesn't work?

I have the same issue, I even set the number of items to 0. It's as if I left the box checked and it resumes ALL the windows.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I wonder what took Apple this long to add resume. This was the biggest reason that I would put off OS X upgrades because I don't like rebooting and then possibly forgetting something I had open somewhere that I wasn't finished with. I'm loving it.

It is not possible for you to forget anything. If you reboot and there is an unsaved document opened somewhere the shut down is stoped and a dialog opens asking if you want to save this document.

I always thought it's stupid that Final Cut Express opens the last file I worked with when I start it. Most of the time I have to close it and open a different/new one. No way I'm going to cope with having that system wide. I hope the option to turn it off is never removed. Imagine a 2+ gb Photoshop document that you don't even need opening for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It is not possible for you to forget anything. If you reboot and there is an unsaved document opened somewhere the shut down is stoped and a dialog opens asking if you want to save this document.

Like you said - that's only true for open documents with unsaved changes. And even then the reminder comes before the reboot not afterwards. In Lion you simply don't have to think about stuff like that anymore (at least when it works as intended). Restart in the middle of your work and your workplace is restored exactly the way it was, regardless of your documents' states.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Like you said - that's only true for open documents with unsaved changes. And even then the reminder comes before the reboot not afterwards. In Lion you simply don't have to think about stuff like that anymore (at least when it works as intended). Restart in the middle of your work and your workplace is restored exactly the way it was, regardless of your documents' states.

I'm sorry, I don't understand it, what is there to "think about"? :confused:

Why would I restart in the middle of my work?

I restart - or shut down - when the work is finished and next time I restart I don't want or need everything to open again. Why would I want to wait for 10 programs to open when this time I just want to check my mail?

Great that this feature exists for people that like it for whatever reason, as long as there is a checkbox to turn it off I'm happy too. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Until all apps can do this I'm not breaking the habit of saving+closing and then reopening. It's a nice idea but it has to be everywhere all at once.

Some apps still reopen where you left off regardless of the General option. Textedit and Preview sometimes load into their previous state for me.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

I restart - or shut down - when the work is finished and next time I restart I don't want or need everything to open again. Why would I want to wait for 10 programs to open when this time I just want to check my mail?

Great that this feature exists for people that like it for whatever reason, as long as there is a checkbox to turn it off I'm happy too. :)

Exactly my feelings about this issue.
Knowing Apple they'll probably make sure that next time the checkbox is removed:eek:

And don't get me started on why they had to go ****** about with Preview's Save function. Now you have no idea how large a file will be. That little slider was damn useful.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

Maybe you don't. I can only speak for myself. I almost never get to a state where I'm left with a clean slate. At the very least, I always have a few lingering Stickies, text windows , PDFs or websites open. :eek:

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Maybe you don't. I can only speak for myself. I almost never get to a state where I'm left with a clean slate. At the very least, I always have a few lingering Stickies, text windows , PDFs or websites open. :eek:

And you want all of them to open after a restart? I guess people use their machines differently - that's why the checkbox is good. :)

I can also only speak for myself, of course I don't manually close everything before a shut-down, but I save something anyway before I abandon it to move to something else, and if it isn't saved like I said the shut-down will be interrupted.

If I work with my laptop I usually have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, iTunes, Mail, Firefox, Cyberduck, OpenOffice, etc... opened. Now I shut it down and next time I restart I just want to show a pdf to a client or check my mail somewhere and then I absolutely don't want to wait for all of the above to open before I can do the little thing I want to do.

Maybe it's different with a ssd, but from what I have observed on a friends mba Adobe programs or Cinema 4D still take their time to open even with a ssd.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
And you want all of them to open after a restart?

The only reason I restart at all is because I'm (more or less) forced to do so when system or security updates are released. I simply don't use restarting as a means to quit everything and start over. That's why I enjoy Resume. It reduces the inconvenience caused by the necessary evil that is a reboot. :)

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
The only reason I restart at all is because I'm (more or less) forced to do so when system or security updates are released. I simply don't use restarting as a means to quit everything and start over. That's why I enjoy Resume. It reduces the inconvenience caused by the necessary evil that is a reboot. :)

Makes sense. :)

I reboot quite often, on the Mac Pro to play some games in Windows7 and for me it just feels safer to shut my mbp down when I transport it in my backpack.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
*Sigh* I opened up a video I imported off my iPhone to show my dad and behind it another Quicktime video that I was watching before I went to bed opened.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
i've been so po'd at lion for a while now on one of my machines.. when i tried to shut down or restart, and the 'are you sure...' dialog came up, i didn't even have the option of wether or not my windows would restore upon relaunching.. all the open apps would launch when booting with no choice.. :confused:

i finally got sick of it today and started poking around and eventually got the behavior back to proper (well, not proper as that shut down tick box defaults to yes-restore but at least i now have an option to uncheck it)

if anybody else is having this problem do a ⇧⌘Q which will log you out and should give you a choice to reopen apps when logging back in.. immediately after unchecking the box then clicking 'log out' choose the restart button you'll be presented with..
now when you're restarted, you'll also get the check box in the normal restart and shut-down dialogs..

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Is this system wide for all apps even after booting up

An example of one thing that bugs me is after offloading images from my DSLR into iPhoto, I make a new folder on my desktop and copy the photos I just imported into iPhoto to the new folder I just created.

Lets say I pick a few images and would like to check them out in the Preview.app and in Snow Leopard. I never had to think about it.

In Lion, if I forgot to close those images before opening another a few hours later, I got a ton of photos opening as opposed to the second session with different images.

I use Preview pretty often as it's nice and simple to get 100% image size instead of a best guess with QuickLook or even iPhoto.
:confused:

johnhesting

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
It is most especially annoying with Preview. If I open a picture, look at it, quit the application, then open the application again when looking at another photo, it open the old one just behind the new one! It's an ever-growing tree!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It is most especially annoying with Preview.

Preview is one of those apps that you don't need to manually quit anymore though. If you close only the window after looking at your picture (a simple ⌘W instead of ⌘Q), Preview will disappear automatically once you switch away from it. Doesn't that solve your problem?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
And don't get me started on why they had to go ****** about with Preview's Save function. Now you have no idea how large a file will be. That little slider was damn useful.

It's still there, just called Export instead of Save a Version.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
App resume is the worst "feature" ever, unless your writing a novel or only ever work on a single spreadsheet it's useless, I don't know how most people work, but I rarely need to open an OLD document once if saved it and am done with it except to reference it later, I certainly don't need 47 documents opening when I open my word processor, or worse, 47 documents opening along with my word/spreadsheet/photo applications every time I boot !!

Needs to be application Independantly configurable , not blanket "on" if I could roll back to snow leopard on my new iMac I would (anyone know where I can get a new iMac SL install ? The mac store could only sell me a lion installed iMac

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
one "feature" i would love to get rid of is the new behavior when command-clicking multiple items in a list. In snow leopard, i could click on items 1, 4, 7 in a list, then click and drag to select items 10 through 18 in addition. Lion now assumes that means I want to copy them somewhere and tries to move the files. No, that's not right. When I'm done selecting, I'll click on the items and drag them. Please stop thinking for me, Lion, because you are getting it wrong most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.