Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

envmyz

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Simple solution for disabling only Safari resume

Open terminal, copy and paste

Code:
chmod 400 /Users/[B]YOUR_USER_NAME[/B]/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState/

Just remember, what ever site you are currently on will be resumed for ever. So make it your homepage before running that command

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I wonder what took Apple this long to add resume. This was the biggest reason that I would put off OS X upgrades because I don't like rebooting and then possibly forgetting something I had open somewhere that I wasn't finished with. I'm loving it.

kd5hsm

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
Resume

Resume still seems to be doing it's think even after checking that box. Have closed apps. Rebooted, even tried the CMD+OPT+Q thing and it doesn't seem to stop.

jwei92

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
Well, how do you disable apps relauching upon restart? I unchecked that box but still they run

bengi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I have been a "tidy" user since System 6.0.7 and I always close all windows before quitting a application, so I didn't even notice that Lion had this feature, which indeed can be very annoying for "untidy" users. ;)

Ben

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
NOTE: Please remember the below are subjective opinions. But there are a fair few of us who share them.

1) Lion's gestures are massively inferior for fast navigation around programmes with multiple windows compared to Snow Leopard's
2) Mission control is like expose but worse in every possible way.
3) Resume makes memory management more difficult, and Apple wanted to make the need to manage memory irrelevant then they've failed.
4) Most people live in a shared household, have some form of privacy issues, and resume makes that incredibly difficult.
5) Most of the UX has had the colour pulled out of it, requiring more neurological processing to determine where things are and making it more of a chore to use.
6) Scroll bars were good. They told you how far down a page you were without having to move a mouse over.

Just about the only UX change in Lion I think is an improvement rather than a regression is being able to resize windows from any edge. And aside from killing resume most of these cannot be switched back at present.

Phazer

About scroll bars - do you have that problem on iphone/ipad as well? I for once noticed the more space i have in safari, and finder now that they are gone - and its not that hard to scroll 1 px down, to see the bars.

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
hi

can someone help me if i'm being totally thick here? i have caffine installed and to load when i login in but not activate which is fine. i've followed the steps and unchecked the box in the "general" tab in sys pref however whenever i shutdown the resume box is still ticked? so when i log back in caffine options box pops up which is just a tad annoying

i'm not going to get into the debait of if it's a good feature as each to there own.....but for me i dont like it; fair enough if the system knows i'm installing something and a reboot is required then fine its a nice feature. however unless they can make it dynamic its not for me.

but how to i disable it properly?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
hi

can someone help me if i'm being totally thick here? i have caffine installed and to load when i login in but not activate which is fine. i've followed the steps and unchecked the box in the "general" tab in sys pref however whenever i shutdown the resume box is still ticked? so when i log back in caffine options box pops up which is just a tad annoying

i'm not going to get into the debait of if it's a good feature as each to there own.....but for me i dont like it; fair enough if the system knows i'm installing something and a reboot is required then fine its a nice feature. however unless they can make it dynamic its not for me.

but how to i disable it properly?

the tick box in preferences stops apps resuming from how you last had them

the tick box in shutdown/restart is ticked as default and cannot be changed, if you want a clean reboot, you need to remove that tick on every shutdown/restart

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
the tick box in preferences stops apps resuming from how you last had them

the tick box in shutdown/restart is ticked as default and cannot be changed, if you want a clean reboot, you need to remove that tick on every shutdown/restart

thanks for clarifying that. mildly frustrating but guess something i'll have to live with for now.

ta very much

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
About scroll bars - do you have that problem on iphone/ipad as well? I for once noticed the more space i have in safari, and finder now that they are gone - and its not that hard to scroll 1 px down, to see the bars.

iOS's scroll bar implementation is horrible. Both for that reason and because there's no way to scroll down long pages without just running your finger down the screen over and over again like you're playing some crappy NES athletics game.

Phazer

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden
Unchecking "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps." doesn't work, it still opens up the applications/windows on reboot/start.
Even if unchecking the box that comes up on shut down.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Unchecking "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps." doesn't work, it still opens up the applications/windows on reboot/start.
Even if unchecking the box that comes up on shut down.

Ignore, just seen your edited comment

That tick box only affects application restarts

when you shutdown/restart you need to take the tick out of 'Re open windows when logging back in' on the box that comes up

this is always ticked, so if you dont want it to reopen everything that was running when you shutdown, you have to remove this tick every time

whmagill

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Resume is for AirBooks

Resume is one of the main new features to OS X Lion, one taken directly from iOS:

Now, this feature might be all well and good, but what if you want your Mac to behave like it did in Snow Leopard? Resume can be easily disabled, but the option is fairly hidden.

Funny, but neither my iPad nor my iPhone "resume" the way OSX does. For one thing, they do not have the ability to do the same kinds of things which OSX does.

But yes, I have taken to open a "blank" window in Safari before I quit it to do something else, unless I happen to want whoever might happen to pickup my iPhone or iPad to see what I was doing. At least with OSX, I can set a userid an password to control access -- the "passcode" on the iPhone is and EXTREMELY poor security substitute.

As for being "fairly hidden" -- Yes. it is. I go back to Lisa days with Apple, and even after having read this particular "tip" I had to re-read the General Settings Panel 3 or 4 times before it finally "jumped out" at me.

It is NOT obvious. ... just another line on an otherwise unchanged screen.

This particular feature "might" be meaningful for AirBook users (which appear to be the future of Apple), but for people using Apple Desktops, it is more than overkill - it is insulting, demeaning, condescending, and downright paternalistic.

If the OS or the Application crash, ok. resume "might" be a good thing. Assuming that they really did pick up where you left off... not "almost" where you left off.

However, if I quit an application it is because I want to quit the application. MAYBE if i simply relaunch the application I MIGHT be happy to be reminded of what I was doing before -- unless I finished what I was doing and want to be doing something else. To have the app open some other file is saying to me... Hey, you work on this, not on what you think you want to want to work on."

And it is INCREDIBLY infuriating when I double click on an item and the OS "automagically" opens an application for me -- but opens some random document ... not the one I wanted to open. Or maybe it opens both of them and HIDES the other one behind the one you intend to work on.

This kind of action is Big Brother at it's worst -- not to mention all of the implied security issues here.

Thanks for pointing out how to shut off this behavior -- I've been annoyed by this behavior now since I upgraded to Lion.

whmagill

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
when you shutdown/restart you need to take the tick out of 'Re open windows when logging back in' on the box that comes up

this is always ticked, so if you dont want it to reopen everything that was running when you shutdown, you have to remove this tick every time

One assumes that there is an "Write Defaults" command that can change this.

Has anyone found it yet?
Examples of what I'm talking about:

Show hidden files in Finder
> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

Display the full directory path in the Finder window title bar:
> defaults write com.apple.finder _FXShowPosixPathInTitle -bool YES

Both work in Lion.

Last edited:

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
One assumes that there is an "Write Defaults" command that can change this.

Has anyone found it yet?
Examples of what I'm talking about:

Show hidden files in Finder
> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

Display the full directory path in the Finder window title bar:
> defaults write com.apple.finder _FXShowPosixPathInTitle -bool YES

Both work in Lion.

I found this with a google search:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/01/turn-off-resume-per-app-in-mac-os-x-lion/

This will let you kill resume for apps of your choosing. Not the best solution, but better than nothing. I created a text file in TextWrangler with the apps I wanted to kill and then set the executable bit, and then ran that file. This should be a tip, if you want my opinion... Any guesses as to how long it will take someone to write an app that will do this for us?

J

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have had so many people yell at me as I try and help them with their computer troubles that they wished something like resume existed.

Now it exists and some of these sane people are yelling at me that it does.

People just have so much trouble not freaking out at something new.

They're TWO SEPARATE GROUPS or people!

The people who are complaining now, like me, actually know how to use a computer and know what they want, and don't want the system overriding what they decided.

It's absolutely retarded that Apple did not at least give us an option to leave the checkbox at shutdown always off.

Furthermore, what kind of backwards interface choice is that anyway? All toggles, preferences should be in 'system preferences', not an extra checkbox I have to unclick every friggin time I shut down my system.

Last edited:

krayziehustler

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Had my first "unexpectedly quit" Mail app on Lion at the beginning of the day, nothing major but when I restarted my MBA the Mail app started at the point it was left off where it froze, so I have to restart again.

the resume feature got me stuck in a rebooting/freezing loop as it kept resuming the app that forced the freeze!! It's a stupid feature that serves no function on a laptop/desktop/workstation

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
I found this with a google search:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/01/turn-off-resume-per-app-in-mac-os-x-lion/

This will let you kill resume for apps of your choosing. Not the best solution, but better than nothing. I created a text file in TextWrangler with the apps I wanted to kill and then set the executable bit, and then ran that file. This should be a tip, if you want my opinion... Any guesses as to how long it will take someone to write an app that will do this for us?

J

Thank you so much for that link my good Sir!!!

I had Plex in an error loop and couldn't figure out what the problem was.

All I can say, is that I agree with those that say that after a reboot, the default should be "clean slate". Because that's what you normally want when you find yourself forced to reboot.

K42

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Europe
Isn't it obvious that I was including myself in that, and that obviously calling hitting CMD+Q a "bad" habit was a bit tongue-in-cheek, since all these years that is exactly the habit we all have been trying to teach our parents and friends who just wouldn't get the fact, that closing a window does not terminate the application? Now that Apple has begun to eliminate the need to manually quit applications, with a solution called "Automatic termination [which] transfers the job of managing processes from the user to the system, which is better equipped to handle the job" (my emphasis) [1], for most of us it is indeed time to begin to let go of "bad", or rather unnecessary

Fair enough, for people that never quit apps explicitly. But why then does OSX need to restore the windows when I do quit an app explicitly? Apple could have introduced this new behind-the-scenes stuff without changing the old quit behavior.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
It works on an iPad because everything is instantaneous. Even if you don't want those old windows open, there's no penalty since everything is instant. On a hard drive based system though the delays are annoying. You sit there waiting for the old windows to open that you probably don't want anyway.

aviz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
It worked! Thank you

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Resume is one of the main new features to OS X Lion, one taken directly from iOS:
Now, this feature might be all well and good, but what if you want your Mac to behave like it did in Snow Leopard? Resume can be easily disabled, but the option is fairly hidden.

Head to System Preferences and select the General tab. At the bottom of that page is a checkbox labeled "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps." If you uncheck that, your apps will continue to behave as they did in Snow Leopard.

Hat tip OS X Daily.

Article Link: How To Disable Lion's 'Resume' Feature

Last edited:

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I'm glad to know that this feature can be disabled. To me resume just seemed impractical for a lot of applications such as quicktime. All it did was for me was increase the time until I could effectively use my desktop.

macman312

macrumors 6502
IT STILL DOES IT!!!!

Can anyone help I like it when I update my computer but not for safari (I usually have 7 windows and max tabs for each so it takes ages to reopen)

See attachment I have unchecked the box but that doesn't work?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-19 at 12.03.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-19 at 12.03.39 PM.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.