Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
grapes911 said:
Actually, it's usually 1 or 11. 6 is a 3rd option that many people like to stay away from. Many devices use the same frequency as 802.11b/g. To split this up, we have different channels on the same frequency. They are just slight changes in the frequencey. There is less interference this way. But, a device on 6 still interferes with a device on 7, but much less than if they were both on 7. A device on 4 will interfere even less with that device on 7. So the farther apart from a used channel, the less chance of interference. By placing your router on an extreme channel, you are hoping for the least interference. If by some chance all you devices are running 1 and 11, then 6 becomes you next logical choice, but not until you are sure 1 and 11 are not good. 1 and 11 generally only received interference from one side of the spectrum. 6 can receive interference from both sides.

PS. In some parts of the world you can also use 12, 13, and 14. You should use 1 or 14 in these situations.

I cannot remember how to select/change the channel inside my G4. No problem configuring the router. Thanks.

BB99

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
EricNau said:
I think all you need to change is the router.

That would be the best solution. Somewhere in the many hours I've spent trying to setup a secure network I came across a dialoge box that let me select the Airport channel (automatic, or manually). Now that I've gotten the network sorted out I'm unable to find that option anymore, and am reluctant to trash my hard work while trying to improve reception. Make sense?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
bigboy99 said:
That would be the best solution. Somewhere in the many hours I've spent trying to setup a secure network I came across a dialoge box that let me select the Airport channel (automatic, or manually). Now that I've gotten the network sorted out I'm unable to find that option anymore, and am reluctant to trash my hard work while trying to improve reception. Make sense?
Is this what you are looking for? ...

Utilities > Airport Admin Utilities > (Select Router) > Configure > Airport > and the channel selection will be near the bottom on the left.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
EricNau said:
Is this what you are looking for? ...

Utilities > Airport Admin Utilities > (Select Router) > Configure > Airport > and the channel selection will be near the bottom on the left.

No, it was something I found while digging through System Prefs>Networks. When I open the AAU app I can go no further as my router is a Linksys, not an Airport. I think the default is automatic, so it should follow the router setting. I was just trying to get back to where I once belonged, so to speak. Thanks.

dirtskier

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2005
ok, so here's a new question (since I might just pick up at 12' powerbook if the nothing decent comes out for MWSF). Is there any sort of wireless antenna out there that doesn't run on a PC card? USB or FW400 mabye? I dont want to waste my time with only "so-so" reception with no way around it.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
haganah said:
, I ended up having a lot of sony vaio parts that wouldn't fit back in the case.

Well thanks for trying guys. I appreciate it :)

LOL LOL hehehehehehe.... I had an uncle that used to fix his Tractor engine by himself... and everytime he disarmed he ended up with a box full of srcewdrives and resorts and parts, that did not fit anywhere... so he'll say "dhaahhaa does japanese just put this for nothing... you see they're useless the engine workd better know..." LOL LOL :D :D :D :D :D

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
dirtskier said:
ok, so here's a new question (since I might just pick up at 12' powerbook if the nothing decent comes out for MWSF). Is there any sort of wireless antenna out there that doesn't run on a PC card? USB or FW400 mabye? I dont want to waste my time with only "so-so" reception with no way around it.
I wouldn't worry about it until you have a PB. I have one and I get very good reception. Not as good as the G3 iBook I used to have, but very good nonetheless.

dirtskier

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2005
grapes911 said:
I wouldn't worry about it until you have a PB. I have one and I get very good reception. Not as good as the G3 iBook I used to have, but very good nonetheless.

and either way a trip to circuit city today confirmed that decent USB antennas do exist (although expensive).

findnemo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
Too bad they don't have windows drivers up for people using Bootcamp.

I emailed them to see if they are working on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.