Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I have been using Windows via bootcamp. As I am returning my rMBP to the company, I don't want them to have access to the files in my Windows partition. What is the best way to do it? Is deleting the bootcamp windows partition good enough? I guess they might have some way to recover the deleted partition.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have been using Windows via bootcamp. As I am returning my rMBP to the company, I don't want them to have access to the files in my Windows partition. What is the best way to do it? Is deleting the bootcamp windows partition good enough? I guess they might have some way to recover the deleted partition.

Use the Boot Camp Assistant from OS X to remove the BC partition. Once that is completed, the partition is not recoverable using normal recovery procedures. But before you do that and from within Windows you might want to remove any files and/or data that you don't want them to have access to. There are Windows programs that will overwrite free space and deleted files making them unrecoverable.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
If you're really paranoid, you can enable Bitlocker on your Windows partition

Let it fully encrypt that OS

Then delete all partitions and clean install OSX over everything

majorrabbid

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
You can secure erase the boot camp partition in Mac OS X before proceeding to delete all together which will cause your OS X partition to take up that space.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just erase it, I doubt anyone in the company will go to the trouble of trying to recover previously deleted data on your MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.