Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It seems I just created an account to say I'm happy people do stuff like that, because I'm researching this problem myself, and coming across this did two things....

-It helped me with my problem

-It introduced me to this forum. I probably would have not bothered and kept on scrolling if I saw the most recent post on this was 2.5 years ago when I could find more up to date info elsewhere.

He answered a question that people have, and still have. I am getting more and more into my art, both digital and other media. I have photos saved for reference, inspiration, study....etc.... So my camera roll is a mess. I can't jailbreak my iPad because I need to be able to keep up to date with the most current IOS in order to keep my art app up to date. So while I would love to jailbreak my iPad, I can't, so I'm still looking for other options.

But honestly, I'm impatient, if I would have looked at the last response on this being so long ago, I probably would have just moved on. Now I'm a member of this forum that could help me with other problems in the future. I think that's a good thing, right?

However.....Maybe I'm missing the problem, I'm a "newb" too, and may be jumped on for bringing any of this up anyway, but I felt it needed to be said. I guess I thought that part of the purpose of this forum is to help people with issues. So honestly don't know if I'll come back around, it seems kind of negative just from the back and forth responses I've read in this thread alone. Good grief, it's not religion or politics.....its just a phone lol

Anyway....yeah, it's not lost on me that I claim impatience but took the time to post this :rolleyes: I'm a mess too. I just thought it was a little harsh.
Welcome to the forums.

If you stick around long enough you will encounter someone raising a thread from the dead. It's not against the rules, but neither is creating a new thread about your problem. In fact, the mods themselves encourage that over adding to old threads.

When you start to get tired of checking old threads with new posts created by spammers though you may think somewhat differently.

But honestly, if replying to old threads is easier than using the "Post New Thread" button you will find a lack of response.

I'm not being harsh or negative, I'm just explaining the reality. It's pretty much the same on any forum.

Reactions: aristobrat

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
This needs to be fixed in 7.1 because when they gave us the option to create albums what sense does it make to have duplicates...

They're not duplicates.

Albums are basically just tags on the photos that allow you to view specific slices of your entire album. There is only ever one copy of the photo on your phone (and in Photos, etc).

This is, really, the reason why you still see it in your camera roll. If adding a photo to an album moved the photo, then if you wanted the photo in multiple albums, it would require making copies of the photo which would be a gigantic waste of space.

I could see adding an option like 'Camera Roll Only Shows Photos Not In Other Albums', with a default to 'off'... but I'm not sure how useful that would really be.

pavelatanassov

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
It seems I just created an account to say I'm happy people do stuff like that, because I'm researching this problem myself, and coming across this did two things....

-It helped me with my problem

-It introduced me to this forum. I probably would have not bothered and kept on scrolling if I saw the most recent post on this was 2.5 years ago when I could find more up to date info elsewhere.

He answered a question that people have, and still have. I am getting more and more into my art, both digital and other media. I have photos saved for reference, inspiration, study....etc.... So my camera roll is a mess. I can't jailbreak my iPad because I need to be able to keep up to date with the most current IOS in order to keep my art app up to date. So while I would love to jailbreak my iPad, I can't, so I'm still looking for other options.

But honestly, I'm impatient, if I would have looked at the last response on this being so long ago, I probably would have just moved on. Now I'm a member of this forum that could help me with other problems in the future. I think that's a good thing, right?

However.....Maybe I'm missing the problem, I'm a "newb" too, and may be jumped on for bringing any of this up anyway, but I felt it needed to be said. I guess I thought that part of the purpose of this forum is to help people with issues. So honestly don't know if I'll come back around, it seems kind of negative just from the back and forth responses I've read in this thread alone. Good grief, it's not religion or politics.....its just a phone lol

Anyway....yeah, it's not lost on me that I claim impatience but took the time to post this :rolleyes: I'm a mess too. I just thought it was a little harsh.

Hi @Raydee8, glad to hear the post (and app) were helpful to you. I also decided to follow the recommendation of @eyoungren and started a new thread on the topic: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rovement-to-the-ios-photo-management.1986326/

neutralmilk

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I really wish Apple would change this. I want to cut files out of my camera roll and paste them in a different folder not copy and paste.

Hi @Raydee8, glad to hear the post (and app) were helpful to you. I also decided to follow the recommendation of @eyoungren and started a new thread on the topic: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rovement-to-the-ios-photo-management.1986326/

Does your app work inside the Photos app or does it just export the photos to your app and then you have to view the photos you split from the camera roll in a separate app?

pavelatanassov

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
I really wish Apple would change this. I want to cut files out of my camera roll and paste them in a different folder not copy and paste.

Does your app work inside the Photos app or does it just export the photos to your app and then you have to view the photos you split from the camera roll in a separate app?

It's the latter, and this for a reason.

Utiful is the first ever complementary photo library for mobile devices. It enables people to cleanly divide their precious memories - the family and vacation photos, from the "mundane" photos (work photos, hobby photos, all sorts of random photos like books to buy, screenshots, notes taken with the mobile camera etc.).

Mobile device producers expect of us to organize all this stuff in one and the same place - the stock photo library. But why should I organize the photos from my last holiday together with my screenshots and my work photos?? At home, I don't keep my toolbox on the living room's shelf next to the picture of me and my wife in Hawaii. So why should I do this on my phone?

This is where Utiful comes to help. It provides a place to store and organize the mundane photo items, cleanly separated from the nice pictures in the main photo library.

Utiful is successful not only for iOS but also for Android, where you don't have Apple's Camera Roll limitations. Being a complementary photo library that enables for easy and fast organization of photos into folders Utiful happens to solve further problems of mobile photo organization. On both mobile platforms, creating and managing folders in the photos apps is so user-unfriendly that most people don't ever try to create a folder because of the nerves it will cost them. On iOS we have additionally the static Camera Roll problem - you can't move items out of the Camera Roll without deleting them. Utiful, by its nature, provides a solution to this.

neutralmilk

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
It's the latter, and this for a reason.

Utiful is the first ever complementary photo library for mobile devices. It enables people to cleanly divide their precious memories - the family and vacation photos, from the "mundane" photos (work photos, hobby photos, all sorts of random photos like books to buy, screenshots, notes taken with the mobile camera etc.).

Mobile device producers expect of us to organize all this stuff in one and the same place - the stock photo library. But why should I organize the photos from my last holiday together with my screenshots and my work photos?? At home, I don't keep my toolbox on the living room's shelf next to the picture of me and my wife in Hawaii. So why should I do this on my phone?

This is where Utiful comes to help. It provides a place to store and organize the mundane photo items, cleanly separated from the nice pictures in the main photo library.

Utiful is successful not only for iOS but also for Android, where you don't have Apple's Camera Roll limitations. Being a complementary photo library that enables for easy and fast organization of photos into folders Utiful happens to solve further problems of mobile photo organization. On both mobile platforms, creating and managing folders in the photos apps is so user-unfriendly that most people don't ever try to create a folder because of the nerves it will cost them. On iOS we have additionally the static Camera Roll problem - you can't move items out of the Camera Roll without deleting them. Utiful, by its nature, provides a solution to this.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the same options available to you as if they were in the camera roll? Can I click on a photo and share or click the camera icon from inside texting and be able to attach pics to my text that way? Or do I have to move the photos back to the camera roll to use them?

pavelatanassov

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Do you have the same options available to you as if they were in the camera roll? Can I click on a photo and share or click the camera icon from inside texting and be able to attach pics to my text that way? Or do I have to move the photos back to the camera roll to use them?

Yes, you can share and export photos from Utiful just the way you do this in the Photos app. You don't need to move them back to the Camera Roll in order to send them to someone in a messenger app. Here's also the link to the Utiful FAQs, check there section "USING THE UTIFUL LIBRARY FROM OTHER APPS", question "WHATSAPP (and other messengers): I want to send photos I keep in Utiful - how does this work?".

wmeeryeck

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
I too found this new app very useful. I like to organize things. I have all my saved XLS files in different folders, depending on their content. And so, with photos, I would also like the ability to sort them. However, if I miss one, then I have to go through the 1000's of photos in the "camera roll" to find the one I want. Now, with this new app, if I miss one, it stays in the "camera roll", but the others are moved to the appropriate folder. My "camera roll" is down to a few stragglers that I didn't want to categorize (or ones that I missed in the categorization process). I fully realize that this might be totally useless to some people. But to me, it's a wonderful app and I am very grateful to the developer as well as Raydee8 for posting about it. We are NOT all 100% the same and one size does NOT always fit all. Thanks again to Raydee8 and Pavelatanassov!

Reactions: pavelatanassov

Daher abdeen

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
When I create a photo album on my iPhone (5s / iOS 7), the photos are copied from the Camera Roll to the album yet still remain in the Camera Roll. Along the same lines, if I delete a photo from the Camera Roll, it will also be deleted from its assigned album.

Is there some sort of third party app that I can use either on my iPhone or my Mac to sort my Camera Roll photos into albums and actually have the photos moved to the album (without having to keep a copy in the Camera Roll)? In other words, I'd like to be able to create multiple albums, move the pictures from the Camera Roll into the albums, and have an empty Camera Roll when I'm done.

Thanks for any advice!
[doublepost=1498471153][/doublepost]In fact i have the same issue iphone is not giving me option to move photos to albums it only grate a tag for them and such is a misleading operation

I used befor samsung note and its so great in its photo management in terms of renaming files and moving documents as i heavily depends on these two operation but aftrer my samsung got grashed i thoight why not try to use iphone where i got surprised that no photo renaming i can do nor movement operation which was a big disappointment to me

I hope ipone will realise importance of such and will enable these two operTions cause as of now im strugling to convence my wife to take my new iphone 7plus and give me her old samsung note 5

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
[doublepost=1498471153][/doublepost]In fact i have the same issue iphone is not giving me option to move photos to albums it only grate a tag for them and such is a misleading operation

I used befor samsung note and its so great in its photo management in terms of renaming files and moving documents as i heavily depends on these two operation but aftrer my samsung got grashed i thoight why not try to use iphone where i got surprised that no photo renaming i can do nor movement operation which was a big disappointment to me

I hope ipone will realise importance of such and will enable these two operTions cause as of now im strugling to convence my wife to take my new iphone 7plus and give me her old samsung note 5
Apple will never do this.

The camera roll as it stands is how Apple chooses to manage photos. It's never going to change.

The evidence is that Apple has had 11 versions of iOS to change it. They have chosen not to.

Tightrope

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
It's actually stored in your camera roll. Again, albums are just direct pointers to the pictures in the roll.

Think of it like an alias (or shortcut) to a file or folder on your desktop (on your computer). The alias or shortcut is not a duplicate of the file or folder, it's simply a pointer to it so that you can go right to it.

I disagree with Apple's approach on this. I think you should just be able to move photos to actual albums and store them there, but I'm not the one making the decisions so I'm stuck with it. Which is why I installed PhotoAlbum+.
[doublepost=1518635237][/doublepost]Apple so messed up. I bought the iPhone x thinking I was upgrading. What a joke. Can't move pics. Can only copy them. Not much use when it comes to organization. Pinch to zoom only works half the time... Only.half the websites, and doesn't work on any apps or the rest of the phone. I get no text alerts if I'm on the phone, only a little burp if I'm not on the phone and iMessage is open. I could go on. I bought the 156 mg and I feel as s though Apple stole my $1358.00 which was the cost of the phone and accessories. I'm looking for a buyer go it. Tightrope 6 9 at G mail

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
[doublepost=1518635237][/doublepost]
Apple so messed up. I bought the iPhone x thinking I was upgrading. What a joke. Can't move pics. Can only copy them. Not much use when it comes to organization.

Of course it's of use. But one correction: you're not copying them, you're tagging them. So, you can organize all you want, photos can be in multiple albums at the same time, but only one copy exists on the phone. This is awesome. And, on top of that, you can always look at the 'camera roll' album to see every photo on your phone, regardless of which albums you might have tagged them in.

An example: I take a photo of my wife, my daughter, and my dogs in front of the Christmas tree in my house. If I put that photo in an album of my wife, also in an album with pics of my kids, an album with pics of my dogs, and an album for Christmas, maybe even one for holidays in general. I can see that same photo in all of those places because it fits multiple categories, but there is still only ever one copy of the photo on the device. Whereas, if the photo was moved, I could only have it in one album, which absolutely sucks for organization, or I have to make multiple copies of it, which also sucks for organization. This 'tagging' method (which is really what albums are) is far superior.

Choice is up to you: view your photos by organized album, or look at them in totality, or both, all while only ever having a single copy of any individual photo on your phone regardless of how many albums you 'put' them in.

Pinch to zoom only works half the time... Only.half the websites and doesn't work on any apps or the rest of the phone

Clearly an exaggeration. It works on most websites, though some sites (admittedly frustratingly) actively disable pinch-zooming. This is not an issue with the X.

As for apps, that's up to each app to decide if they want to support pinch-zooming. Many apps I use do, many don't. Again, this is up to each individual developer; not a problem with the X.

I get no text alerts if I'm on the phone, only a little burp if I'm not on the phone and iMessage is open.

You can configure text alerts to be as in-your-face invasive or as subtle/non-existant as you want. If you're not getting alerts when you like, change it in Settings.

I could go on.

Please do, because you haven't described any problems with the X (or with iOS in general, which seems to be where your confusions lie). You haven't listed any problems: photos can be organized far better and with significant space savings with the tagging model that's used; developers have control over how their apps behave respect to zooming; of course you can get text alerts no matter if your phone is off/on/in messages/not in messages/etc.

I bought the 156 mg and I feel as s though Apple stole my $1358.00 which was the cost of the phone and accessories. I'm looking for a buyer go it. Tightrope 6 9 at G mail

They gave you a well-defined product in exchange for money: there was no theft.

If you don't know how to use your phone (which it sounds like is the case), reach out to people to learn, or even go to the Apple store for a walk through with some of their people there (it's free). I think you'll find the device is significantly more capable than you're aware.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Of course it's of use. But one correction: you're not copying them, you're tagging them. So, you can organize all you want, photos can be in multiple albums at the same time, but only one copy exists on the phone. This is awesome. And, on top of that, you can always look at the 'camera roll' album to see every photo on your phone, regardless of which albums you might have tagged them in.

An example: I take a photo of my wife, my daughter, and my dogs in front of the Christmas tree in my house. If I put that photo in an album of my wife, also in an album with pics of my kids, an album with pics of my dogs, and an album for Christmas, maybe even one for holidays in general. I can see that same photo in all of those places because it fits multiple categories, but there is still only ever one copy of the photo on the device. Whereas, if the photo was moved, I could only have it in one album, which absolutely sucks for organization, or I have to make multiple copies of it, which also sucks for organization. This 'tagging' method (which is really what albums are) is far superior.

Choice is up to you: view your photos by organized album, or look at them in totality, or both, all while only ever having a single copy of any individual photo on your phone regardless of how many albums you 'put' them in.
I'm really not into tagging. And I really don't want one picture in multiple albums, even if it's just a pointer.

But that's just me. I like picking one category a picture falls into and filing it there. Trying to remember how many categories a picture belongs in because I tagged my brains out just gets confusing.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I'm really not into tagging. And I really don't want one picture in multiple albums, even if it's just a pointer.

But that's just me. I like picking one category a picture falls into and filing it there. Trying to remember how many categories a picture belongs in because I tagged my brains out just gets confusing.

I only used the term tagging because that's essentially how photos are treated, even though the UI presentation is 'albums'. Indeed, there's already a lot of implicit tagging going on even without the user doing anything (eg. Faces, Places, the various search things you can do on photos due to the 'deep learning' that's being used now, etc).

So, photos are already available through multiple paths even though there's only a single copy of the photo. The 'camera roll' has always just been a spot for "here's everything you've ever done". Losing that would be a mistake, IMO. ("where did I put that photo...") The current model allows for people to be as organized as they want, while only having a single copy of the photo, and still allowing for a view that shows every photo your device has in one spot. That's a pretty good system, IMO.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I only used the term tagging because that's essentially how photos are treated, even though the UI presentation is 'albums'. Indeed, there's already a lot of implicit tagging going on even without the user doing anything (eg. Faces, Places, the various search things you can do on photos due to the 'deep learning' that's being used now, etc).

So, photos are already available through multiple paths even though there's only a single copy of the photo. The 'camera roll' has always just been a spot for "here's everything you've ever done". Losing that would be a mistake, IMO. ("where did I put that photo...") The current model allows for people to be as organized as they want, while only having a single copy of the photo, and still allowing for a view that shows every photo your device has in one spot. That's a pretty good system, IMO.
Okay.

I didn't mean to imply that you lose the camera roll. Even jailbroken, that is the 'default' album where new images are saved. And to be honest, I don't often move photos out of my camera roll. So, when I do move them it is significant enough for me that I want it in a specific album and not to remain or be pointed at in the camera roll.

Again just preference.

Madhumati Patil

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
India
If you are looking for storing and organizing your photos in a proper format I would say try using TruOrganizer is one of the best sites to organize and backup photos and videos. Here, you don’t need to do anything than selecting a source and destination folder. Yes, that’s it. It automatically organizes the files in YYYY-MM, YYYY-MM-DD and MM-YYYY format.

Tru is the simplest way to organize all your photos, automatically. It brings your photos together from different folders and drives into a single place to backup and organize them all in a simple chronological fashion (by date into separate folders [eg: Jan 2017]).

Furthermore, Tru takes care of duplicates, sort among folders and sub-folders, and organizes unlimited number of photos and videos. With perfectly organized folders, it becomes absolutely easy to get particular photos whenever I want them.

Tightrope

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018

Clearly an exaggeration. It works on most websites, though some sites (admittedly frustratingly) actively disable pinch-zooming. This is not an issue with the X.

As for apps, that's up to each app to decide if they want to support pinch-zooming. Many apps I use do, many don't. Again, this is up to each individual developer; not a problem with the X.

You can configure text alerts to be as in-your-face invasive or as subtle/non-existant as you want. If you're not getting alerts when you like, change it in Settings.

Please do, because you haven't described any problems with the X (or with iOS in general, which seems to be where your confusions lie). You haven't listed any problems: photos can be organized far better and with significant space savings with the tagging model that's used; developers have control over how their apps behave respect to zooming; of course you can get text alerts no matter if your phone is off/on/in messages/not in messages/etc.

They gave you a well-defined product in exchange for money: there was no theft.

If you don't know how to use your phone (which it sounds like is the case), reach out to people to learn, or even go to the Apple store for a walk through with some of their people there (it's free). I think you'll find the device is significantly more capable than you're aware.

[/QUOTEi agree, it’s not making a copy of the pic. It’s just “pointing” to it’s location, therefore it’s not taking up any more space like having a copy would. However, space is NOT the issue I have. The issues are: over a thousand photos to go through and organize. Put one in its own folder, still have a thousand to go through. Put 500 in their own folder, STILL have a THOUSAND to go through. Also, hand the phone to someone,(mom?), to look at a few pics on the camera roll and they can see private pics. The tagging method sucks.

Pinch to zoom... No, NOT an execration. I had an Android,didn’t have near the problems with PTZ. My friends and I, as a test,went to the same websites, using the same browser, and obtained different results. He could zoom wear as I could not. It may be up to the individual sites but maybe each site says ok Android, you can zoom and oh no Apple, you can’t? Highly unlikely. (Same tests with the same results on app).

Text alerts just don’t work. I’ve gone into settings, can nfigured properly. Called Apple support, had the view my phone over WiFi, taken it in and the techs end up scratching their heads saying “well I’m not sure, I’ll bring that up to our developers”. Even THEY don’t have an answer. It’s not a matter of , in your words, “learning how to use my device” which makes you sound really arragont. No, its a real piece of crap. If you love it so much, great. Mines been in a life proof case from day one. I’ll sell it to you for $1000.09, case and chargers included. I paid $1358.00.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
It’s not a matter of , in your words, “learning how to use my device” which makes you sound really arragont. No, its a real piece of crap.

Millions of people own Xs and don't have the problems you have. If it's not user error, then get them to exchange the phone. There are two options here: either the problems you experience are just the way the phone is and all of us are living with a broken experience and ok with it, or the problems you experience are atypical, and not the normal user experience. Customer satisfaction is very high (64% highly recommend it to others, 26% somewhat recommend it, for a total of 90% of owners recommending it ... that 64%, btw, is over double what the iPhone 8 achieved: https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...ks-pay-off-with-higher-customer-satisfaction/). That, coupled with logic, would suggest the latter: that your experience is atypical. Meaning, the X is not a 'piece of crap', but that either user error or a rarely malfunctioning unit are to blame, either of which can be fixed.

I probably am arrogant. I can spell arrogant, so that's something.

If you love it so much, great. Mines been in a life proof case from day one. I’ll sell it to you for $1000.09, case and chargers included. I paid $1358.00.

I do love it, but really, I only need the one I already have. Even if I was looking for another one, I'd unlikely buy one that's been in a case given the micro-abbrasions that cases typically inflict upon their charges. I'd almost certainly buy it new anyway.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
Im having this same problem and hate it! have anything change as far as apps to help? I want to cut and move my photos not tag. I hate that their is one in the camera roll and then it tags to my albums

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The thing about the photos app is that it sucks and always has. Either accept it for what it is (a turd) and just use it, or be forever frustrated with it, hoping it to be something it never will

• Haha
Reactions: applelover4u

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Im having this same problem and hate it! have anything change as far as apps to help? I want to cut and move my photos not tag. I hate that their is one in the camera roll and then it tags to my albums
There are bazillions of apps in the app store that will do photos. Some of those will do it correctly.

But NONE of them are allowed to alter the features or functions of the Photos app itself.

Unfortunately, iOS 9 is about the last version of iOS where jailbreak tweaks like PhotoAlbums+ worked so jailbreaking to fix this is not any option anymore.

As @now i see it stated, either accept or be frustrated. That's really your only choice stock. Nothing has changed.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
There are bazillions of apps in the app store that will do photos. Some of those will do it correctly.

But NONE of them are allowed to alter the features or functions of the Photos app itself.

Unfortunately, iOS 9 is about the last version of iOS where jailbreak tweaks like PhotoAlbums+ worked so jailbreaking to fix this is not any option anymore.

As @now i see it stated, either accept or be frustrated. That's really your only choice stock. Nothing has changed.

So is utiful working as it states or not?

And what are the other apps?

yustas

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Is moving a photo to another album still not possible on ios15 in 2022?

Thanks.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Is moving a photo to another album still not possible on ios15 in 2022?

Thanks.
A photo in an album can be linked to another album, then deleted from the first album, but the original photo exists in the main library. Albums just contain links to the original in the main library.

If a photo was placed in 4 different albums (for example) and then deleted from the main library, the photo would also disappear in all the other albums.

But

If a photo that’s also in a few different albums is removed from an album (not the main library) then only that photo disappears in the album you’re viewing, not the other albums or main library.

Reactions: yustas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.