Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Is moving a photo to another album still not possible on ios15 in 2022?

Thanks.

Thankfully, they haven't changed the way photos are organized. There is a single copy of all photos. You can apply whatever tags (ie. album names) to you want to any photo so that one photo can appear in multiple places while still only requiring a single copy of the photo.

You will always be able to see all photos on your device in the 'camera roll' section. You can always add any photo to any album, and to as many albums as you like.

If you don't want to see all the photos at once, just don't go into the camera roll, but instead stick to the albums you've created.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thankfully, they haven't changed the way photos are organized. There is a single copy of all photos. You can apply whatever tags (ie. album names) to you want to any photo so that one photo can appear in multiple places while still only requiring a single copy of the photo.

You will always be able to see all photos on your device in the 'camera roll' section. You can always add any photo to any album, and to as many albums as you like.

If you don't want to see all the photos at once, just don't go into the camera roll, but instead stick to the albums you've created.
Thankfully Apple isn't treating the macOS filesystem this way…yet.

I can just see the root of the HD for all files. Tag em any way you want, just don't go into the root folder if you don't want to see all your files at once.

Yes, I'm still bitter that after 15 or 16 versions of iOS, it's still a shortcut (or a tag) to a photo and not a move.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
App vs filesystem, though, in this case.

Did not wade through six nine years of posts in this thread, but in case of Photos on Mac, like iOS, one copy, referenced everywhere else.

If wade into filesystem, and have edited photos, now you have original and edited files on disk (especially in case of RAW vs modified [jpeg]). And if converted an iPhoto library to Photos, there are hardlinks in Photos referencing original library.

Heck, Google Photos works the same: one master, others reference.

For me, rarely go into all photos, go straight to albums I've made or go to date. Adds flexibility in that can combine contents of two albums into one "share"/transitory album (combine pictures from same place taken at two different times) without copying same photo again.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
App vs filesystem, though, in this case.

Did not wade through six years of posts in this thread, but in case of Photos on Mac, like iOS, one copy, referenced everywhere else.

If wade into filesystem, and have edited photos, now you have original and edited files on disk (especially in case of RAW vs modified [jpeg]). And if converted an iPhoto library to Photos, there are hardlinks in Photos referencing original library.

Heck, Google Photos works the same: one master, others reference.

For me, rarely go into all photos, go straight to albums I've made or go to date. Adds flexibility in that can combine contents of two albums into one "share"/transitory album (combine pictures from same place taken at two different times) without copying same photo again.
I don't do much editing of photos. Usually I have screenshots or pics of items on Walmart grocery shelves so my wife can tell me what to bring home. Not into effects or anything like that.

I can move a photo into different folders on my Mac. I can't on iOS. But it's a different system you say. Cool.

Still don't care for how iOS treats photos. I guess that's why IF I do anything to a photo I've taken, I transfer it to my Mac and take care of it there.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I don't do much editing of photos. Usually I have screenshots or pics of items on Walmart grocery shelves so my wife can tell me what to bring home. Not into effects or anything like that.

I can move a photo into different folders on my Mac. I can't on iOS. But it's a different system you say. Cool.

Still don't care for how iOS treats photos. I guess that's why IF I do anything to a photo I've taken, I transfer it to my Mac and take care of it there.
I’m not sure you’re talking about the same thing. On my iPad, I can bring up files and photos in split screen and start dragging pictures to folders too. I can even delete the pictures after I drag to a folder. You don’t need a Mac to do that.

But WITHIN photos, the photo albums are more like tagging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.