Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
2nyRiggz said:
Chips......mouth watering right now.........i havent had chips in a while i'm trying to be good.....no talks of cheese and chips:D

Bless

What? You didn't have chips at a super bowl party???

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
My diet? It varies based on the moment.

Breakfast was a protien shake when my wife worked for a company, now it is either Grape Nuts or oatmeal (one flavored pouch + the equivalent volume in old-fashioned)

Lunch was a PBJ sandwich, five pretzels, canned fruit (i find it survives better and isn't a problem if I don't get around to eating it). For some reason, after we got back from India, it wasn't enough, so now I have two sandwiches and vary the pretzels with either hommeade biscuits or another can of fruit.

Dinner is usually something healthy - whole wheat pasta, etc. Meat is limited to no more than a couple times a week

However, I have my needs - I try to have a bowl of ice cream everyday. If we make a baked good (pie or cookies), I'll eat a serving with the ice cream until it is finished. And, if we even have candy in the house, my wife and I will have one when I get home from work. But, that isn't a lot of candy (i.e. 2 squares of the Cadbury or one out of the assorted). The candy really only appears b/c it was a gift or leftover from something else (Halloween, flying through London, etc).

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Breakfast = dry toast or cerial
Lunch = Salad bow (lettuice, cucumber, onion, spannish tomatoes, cellery, herta ham)

but as it was friday i was naughty and had chips gravy and mushy peas (chips are larger french fries over here).

Dinner = fish or white meat, broccolli, carrots or green beans or brussel sprouts etc.

sometimes now and again i'll have a jalfrezi from the indian :p but thats usually a treat.

oh and some sundays i'll have a full english (bacon, eggs, beans, toast, tomato, black pudding) grilled though.

I do 2hrs a night at the gym for 5 / 6 days a week.

iSaint

macrumors 603
My diet's not so great. I think I'm eating healthy one minute, then I'll eat 6 or 8 chocolate chip cookies and milk. I've been drinking skim milk for years. Cut out the Dr Peppers and drink half caffienated coffee. My cholesterol has tested high. But, if I go back and test again after a fast it tests ok. I'm 43 and 168 lbs, so no problems there. I think the cholesterol bug will hit me for real someday.

Today I had a salad with honey mustard dressing. But, it had popcorn chicken on tip. That can't be too healthy.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I like to think I eat pretty healthily. With me being diabetic, it's important that I'm mindful of what I eat and seeing as how I'm not dead yet I can't be doing too badly... :p

When I was diagnosed I obviously had to make changes to what I eat – generally though, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my diet wasn't that unhealthy in the first place. I'd always been under the impression that I wasn't a very healthy eater, but speaking with my newly appointed dietician it turns out I wasn't doing too badly after all. Mainly it was a case of cutting out sugary snacks, which I had a bit of a weakness for.

As it stands, I'm on a diet now where I can have the odd sugary treat (so yes, jaffa cakes are back on the menu, from time to time) so long as I take some extra insulin – as ~Shard~ says, everything in moderation...

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Hmmmm.

Today: Breakfast, cereal.

Lunch: Crisps

Tea: Cakes :p

Dinner: Probably something good and all round

I eat way too much fatty stuff. Good thing I run/cycle a lot. :)

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I would say my diet is fairly unhealthy... but more so on the unhealthy side. For breakfast usually I eat a lot of stuff... whatever is around. Maybe sugar cereals. For lunch, I eat fast food. Sometimes I eat as much until I am full. I once at 10 cheeseburgers at McDonalds and can easily eat 6 double cheeseburgers. KFC, Harverys, Pizza, McD's, Tim Hortons, you name it... I eat it almost every day of the week at school. For supper, I eat what my mom makes which is generally healthy because she likes us to eat healthy foods. My snacks include junk food and some healthy food. I eat so much food it is insane. I love it and don't care about it. I might later on, but I don't gain any additional weight. I am very active and work out a lot in a week so I think it helps as well as my fast metabolism.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
how unhealthy is my diet?

my arteries are choking and spitting their formal complaints, but when i hear the dirty word "diet" i wash my mouth out with chocolate. :D

ok, so i'm not too bad but i'm not too good either. i have very little self-control and when i want fried tempura or whatever, i have it. my metabolism is not what it used to be however and i have to watch myself with that, lest i become a bit "soft". moderation, everything in moderation.

mmmmm... tempura. (i know what i'm having for lunch now :p )

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I do enough exercise to burn through pretty much anything I can throw down my gullet. Having said that, I make sure I get all the nutrients I need and apart from my one vice (coffee), it's mainly healthy stuff. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
I do enough exercise to burn through pretty much anything I can throw down my gullet. Having said that, I make sure I get all the nutrients I need and apart from my one vice (coffee), it's mainly healthy stuff. :cool:

Yes, that's very key - not just keeping weight off by exercising and staying fit, but giving your body the proper fuel it needs. Running 4 km a day and being fit is great, but if all you're doing is eating MacDonald's every day, I definitely wouldn't consider that person healthy. ;)

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I eat twice a day. Slightly different diet on different days.

Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday:

Breakfast

1) Soupy mixture: 20g of psyllium 3 g of lecithin granules, 1 tablespoon of brewers yeast, 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds, 30g of 85% whey concentrate, 1 tablespoon of fat-free yoghurt, all mixed in 2 cups of water

2) Large salad (250 calories, about 3-4 servings): romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes (pearl), red onion (1/4 of medium size onion), radishes, 3 large green olives, 5 medium black olives, cucumber, 1/4 green pepper, 1/4 red pepper, dill, parsley, green onion, 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin cold press olive oil, pepper, lemon juice.

3) 80g of fat-free cheese

4)10 almonds, 6 hazelnuts, raw, unsalted

5) 1 apple, 3/4 orange, 1/3 cup frozen bluberries (sometimes fresh, depending on seasonal avialability)

6) various supplements (multivitamin/mineral, calcium, magnesium, etc.)

7)2-3 cups mixture black/green tea, cold

Dinner:

1)3 egg whites or 3 tablespoons of egg-white substitute lightly sauteed with spinach, mushrooms, onion.

2)cooked vegetables: broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, tomato paste, onions, all in fat free vegetable broth with a pinch of olive oil and turmeric. For variety on various days: the same - only substitute cauliflower for broccoli, or cabbage.

3)Various supplements

4)A little bit of dried fruit (say, 4 dried apricots)

5)randomly, 1/8 of a tablet of chocolate - dark, 75% cocoa or above

6)Glass of red wine

7)2 cups of black/green tea mixture

Monday

Everything the same as above, except for dinner, substitute egg whites with half a can of wild caught Pacific salmon.

Tuesday

Breakfast the same as above breakfast.

Dinner is very small on Tuesdays: soupy mixture - 3 cups of water and mixed in 20g of psyllium, 30g of 85% whey protein, 1/2 cup of wheat bran, 1/2 banana, 5 frozen strawberries. 2 cups of black/green tea mixture. Various supplements.

Friday

Same breakfast as always (except Saturday)

NO DINNER. Fast after Friday breakfast until Saturday breakfast - usually it's about 22 hours. In that time, around 8 PM, often (but not always), 2 cups of straight black coffee, no sugar.

Saturday

Breakfast

1)Soupy mixture: 20g psyllium, 3g lecithin, 1tb brewers yeast, 1tb flaxmeal, 30g. 85% whey protein, 1/2 cup wheat bran, 1/2 banana, 5 frozen strawberries, 1tb fat-free yoghurt, 3 cups of water.

2)10 almonds, 6 hazelnuts. Raw, unsalted

3)1 apple, 1 orange, 1/3 cup frozen blueberries

4)various supplements

5) 3 cups black/green tea mixture

Dinner

The same salad as for breakfast on other days. 80g fat-free cheese. Cooked veggies, same as on other dinner days. Supplements. Tea.

Exercise:

Monday through Friday. Before breakfast. 40 minutes aerobic stationary bike with arm action.

That's it. Key above all: low overall calories. You can't eyeball. You MUST calculate absolutely everything. Advantage: once I've worked out my week's worth of calories, I don't have to recalculate, as I eat the same weekly diet every week. Avoid saturated and transfats. Favor mono fats (olive oil). Maintain correct balance between n3 and n6 essential fatty acids (should be about 1:1). Small amount of fatty fish once a week, not more, not less. Essential to get all nutrients in, supplement mildly. Again key: keep calories low. Mine are about 1500 cal a day. I'm never hungry, except briefly during my Friday fast (when I omit dinner).

Departures from diet. Unfortunately, during travel and social engagements, my usual eating pattern has to be abandoned. Travel: up to 3 weeks a year. Social occasions: 1-2 month. At that point I eat everything, in liberal quantities, and don't feel guilty.

Can it be better? Sure, I should never go "off" the diet as I outlined above. But quality of life is also important - and so I don't feel guilty. Exercise should incorporate a bit of weight training - I don't, and that's a failure, but I don't care. I can tweak it to make it better, but can't be bothered. It's good enough.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
About a year ago I changed my diet quite a bit - cut out a lot of processed carbs, ate healthier snacks, drank more water and started going to the gym (body pump is awesome!) etc...I felt so much better, had tons more energy and lost a few kgs. Unfortunately while i've been on holidays I've reverted to not really caring all that much (chocolate is my biggest weakness) and I really don't feel as good.

But I've decided that once I move out (in about 2 weeks) and start uni, I'm going to go back to being all healthy again because I know what the benefits will be.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
haiggy said:
I once at 10 cheeseburgers at McDonalds and can easily eat 6 double cheeseburgers.
That is 10, right? As in 'T-E-N'? Whoa. And I thought I ate a lot when I had 2 Big Macs.

My diet? Somewhere in the middle. I like junky and fattening foods, but I've been eating more fruits and veggies and other healthier stuff since my parents are trying to lose weight. I am currently eating a bowl of Raisin Bran as opposed to the usual Frosted Flakes. And I have a comment about the raisin bran: they put too much sugar on the raisins. Wait! It's happening! I'm complaining because of sugar! I'm becoming HEALTHY!!!:eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
nbs2 said:
....I have my needs - I try to have a bowl of ice cream everyday.

I'm sure you don't have to "try" very hard. ;) You don't try, you succumb.

I can't believe how organized your eating habits are. I don't know what I usually eat on Thursdays, or on any other day. No schedule whatsoever.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I try not to intake any TransFats, and even if I have to I try to either have it in small doses until I can find a replacement.

I exercise 4 times a week, and I have a touch time gaining weight. I doctor honestly said that I can eat anything since I am looking skinny. I am not underweight however I am skinny. :eek: :(

I am however building up muscle strength and flexibility at the same time. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
d_and_n5000 said:
That is 10, right? As in 'T-E-N'? Whoa. And I thought I ate a lot when I had 2 Big Macs.

My diet? Somewhere in the middle. I like junky and fattening foods, but I've been eating more fruits and veggies and other healthier stuff since my parents are trying to lose weight. I am currently eating a bowl of Raisin Bran as opposed to the usual Frosted Flakes. And I have a comment about the raisin bran: they put too much sugar on the raisins. Wait! It's happening! I'm complaining because of sugar! I'm becoming HEALTHY!!!:eek:

The size of those cheeseburgers are not very big, I can see how one can consume 10. ;)

Seriously though I have eaten a two quad patty whoppers. I usually never have fries or pop with my meals, just water, milk, or juice. I would say in a given month I will only have fries 1-3 times. :D

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I've replaced the third cup of coffee with decaf.

Otherwise, I intend to continue to eat cannolis and butter until I die. :cool:

I mean, what if I get hit by a bus next week and had cut cannolis out of my diet?

God I'd be pissed.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
My supper today consisted of 2 slices of toast (buttered), a packet of Walkers Beef & Onion crisps, a slice of millionare shortbread watered down with an iced coffee :D

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
This thread has provided some really good advice and inspiration.

I sometimes feel my diet is relatively healthy...but not quite. I'm a carbaholic. In fact, if someone gave me the choice of a plate of chips (or in some cases, even just bread) or chocolate, I'd always go for the chips...with lots of salt to make it even worse! I try to cut down take-away as much as possible...but there's some really good Chinese take-away right down the street...Oh good god, I want pasta or something just from writing this post.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
thedude110 said:
Otherwise, I intend to continue to eat cannolis and butter until I die. :cool:

I mean, what if I get hit by a bus next week and had cut cannolis out of my diet?

And if you keep that diet up., the odds of you being killed by a bus will be pretty much even with the odds of your heart failing due to the cannolis... :p :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.