Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hi all!

Seems no matter how much Google-Fu I do, I get two complete ends of the "4K editing" spectrum. You've got professionals who are working on feature films, complaining the thing can't handle crazy workflows and super-high bit rate 4K as well as their 24 core desktops.

And then on the other side, you have people editing super low bitrate 4K from their GoPro and all is fine.

But there are a lot of us DSLR users out there shooting decently high-bitrate 4K with our 5D Mk IVs and the upcoming GH5. Anyone using the new MBP as their primary 4K editing machine? How is it?

Reactions: Rasta4i

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Just bought one yesterday, but all of my GoPro 4k files are on a FW800 drive that I can't use yet. Will update when I am able to transfer the files.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Just bought one yesterday, but all of my GoPro 4k files are on a FW800 drive that I can't use yet. Will update when I am able to transfer the files.

Awesome - looking forward to hearing impressions.

Glad to hear good things, eden.

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
My 2.0Ghz non touchbar 13 inch does Mavic Pro 4k without proxy media as well with fcpx, but I guess 4k isn't 4k (bitrates etc)

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Hi all!

Seems no matter how much Google-Fu I do, I get two complete ends of the "4K editing" spectrum. You've got professionals who are working on feature films, complaining the thing can't handle crazy workflows and super-high bit rate 4K as well as their 24 core desktops.

And then on the other side, you have people editing super low bitrate 4K from their GoPro and all is fine.

But there are a lot of us DSLR users out there shooting decently high-bitrate 4K with our 5D Mk IVs and the upcoming GH5. Anyone using the new MBP as their primary 4K editing machine? How is it?

If you're using FCP, it's great. It sucks with Adobe products.. My rule is, Adobe Products, Nvidia GPU.. Dell XPS 9560..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.