Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianweller

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Here's the answer he should have given;
"Yeah, you're right. We copied lots of stuff from Apple. But hey, what choice do we have? They've demonstrated that their way is the best way. Until we or someone else innovates again, we have to follow their lead to stay relavent."
I'd respect him for his honesty, and we can all get on with our lives!
The reason we "Fanboys" get annoyed at this stuff is that these people insult our intelligence by blatantly lying about what they're doing, and expect us to accept it. Any monkey can see that they are basing their designs Heavily on (in other words, copying) the MBA's!!

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Seems this whole thread has flown over your heads, right boys? I am referring to the two of you above my post.

Quick refresher:

Question 1:
Can you two tell us which computer manufacturer based their design heavily or lightly on the tapered macbook air with a latch design?

(Trick Question: no one did cause it was crap!)

Question 2:
Can you two tell us which electronics company, formerly a computer company, once going by the name of "_ _ _ _ _ Computer" fixed their crap design by taking their cue from the wedge design of a pc manufacturer?

I won't answer this, I 'll give you a hint, the pc manufacturer is Sony.

S

stp2112

Nice laptop, clearly a copy

Looks nice, no doubt a ripoff of the MBA but not surprising since the MBA is so nice, too bad it runs windows, HP sounded really ignorant in that interview

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
They look nothing alike... the logos are different. :p

Yeah, and the HP doesn't have a Thunderbolt connector.

What is really strange is that both the Apple products and HP, etc. all use Intel processors if you will, but Apple supports Thunderbolt, which is Intel and why is Intel trying to persuade people over to the Windows camp when the Apple uses more up to date technology. it's almost like Intel is just making a fool of themselves. HP is just basically making a big deal over almost nothing.

The problem that HP has is too many different laptops models and designs, which creates more headaches in trying to manage that many SKUs, service parts, logistics, etc. That'a big problem for companies. In regards to the HP models that have colored cases. They aren't ugly, they are fugly. Just real cheap looking tasteless junk if you ask me.

Plus the naming convention is confusing. I have gone to HP's web site from time to time and it is just plain confusing, not a pleasant experience. Same goes with the other PC mfg. Just not a very good experience.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
(Come on, it took them how long to get rid of the floppy and yet they're this fast to get rid of optical drives? And both times it just so happens that Apple is the first to get rid of those drives?)

You got to be kidding right? The Toshiba Portégé 7020ct had no internal Floppy or Optical drive since and that was in 2003...they even marketed it as a Ultra Notebook.
The Concept of the MBA, as well as it may be executed, is not new at all...

As much as I (and probably most of the guys around here) like Apple products, this whole "They did it first"-attitude is just plain silly...

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
You got to be kidding right? The Toshiba Portégé 7020ct had no internal Floppy or Optical drive since and that was in 2003...

I had forgotten PCs were still that ugly as late as 2003. Comparing that 'ultrabook' to the TiBook design I had from 2002 really just makes me scratch my head. I know it was for corporate use, but 6GB in 2003? That's absurd! I thought the 60GB in my TiBook was on the tight side.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
it's just that's where the form factor is leading it.

All Roads Lead To Rome, and all that. He makes a valid argument, which is more than you can say for others who don't even make the effort to justify their more blatant bandwagon-jumping (and not just of Apple products).

As manufacturers go these days, HP are probably one of the more respectable companies. Nice notebook too, and it doesn't clash with the MBA too much at all, really.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What is really strange is that both the Apple products and HP, etc. all use Intel processors if you will, but Apple supports Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt, under Sandy-Bridge requires a different controller chip, one that happens to have quite a bit of girth and requires some good amount of space on the logic board. Looking at what I think is the top of the line "mobile" PCH variant for Ivy Bridge, there is USB 3, but not Thunderbolt : http://ark.intel.com/products/64339/Intel-BD82HM77-PCH

Hence why adoption levels may not be what you think they will be. Let's face it, Thunderbolt is more and more looking like a higher-end interconnect for the prosumer or professional world, not a consumer technology. OEMs aren't going to throw it on their consumer products or business products.

Apple marketing around Thunderbolt tried to aim it as a consumer technology. I think this has been a failure in marketing. It's clearly not meant for consumers, that's what USB 3.0 is.

----------

I had forgotten PCs were still that ugly as late as 2003. Comparing that 'ultrabook' to the TiBook design I had from 2002 really just makes me scratch my head.

Ok, then read about "Ultra" books, coming in as light as 3 lbs (ring any 13" MBA bells ?) in 1998 then :

http://news.cnet.com/Sony-notebook-down-to-3-pounds/2100-1001_3-211071.html

Heck, the Sony 3 lbs model even had a full Intel chip, a Pentium MMX 200 mhz. Notice other names cited and the use of the "Ultra" modifier...

Yep, Apple invented the Ultrabook in 2010, a full 12 years after other vendors had been at it.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Thunderbolt, under Sandy-Bridge requires a different controller chip, one that happens to have quite a bit of girth and requires some good amount of space on the logic board. Looking at what I think is the top of the line "mobile" PCH variant for Ivy Bridge, there is USB 3, but not Thunderbolt : http://ark.intel.com/products/64339/Intel-BD82HM77-PCH

Hence why adoption levels may not be what you think they will be. Let's face it, Thunderbolt is more and more looking like a higher-end interconnect for the prosumer or professional world, not a consumer technology. OEMs aren't going to throw it on their consumer products or business products.

Apple marketing around Thunderbolt tried to aim it as a consumer technology. I think this has been a failure in marketing. It's clearly not meant for consumers, that's what USB 3.0 is.

----------

Ok, then read about "Ultra" books, coming in as light as 3 lbs (ring any 13" MBA bells ?) in 1998 then :

http://news.cnet.com/Sony-notebook-down-to-3-pounds/2100-1001_3-211071.html

Heck, the Sony 3 lbs model even had a full Intel chip, a Pentium MMX 200 mhz. Notice other names cited and the use of the "Ultra" modifier...

Yep, Apple invented the Ultrabook in 2010, a full 12 years after other vendors had been at it.

I genuinely enjoy your reasoned and logical debate in the face of fallacious arguments. T'is nice, and rare, to see around here.

There must be some sort of personality deficiency that renders one susceptible to rejecting all reason in attempts to defend a multinational company with no loyalty to oneself.

Last edited:

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I had forgotten PCs were still that ugly as late as 2003. Comparing that 'ultrabook' to the TiBook design I had from 2002 really just makes me scratch my head. I know it was for corporate use, but 6GB in 2003? That's absurd! I thought the 60GB in my TiBook was on the tight side.

Well, I completely agree that the design of the Toshiba was not a pinnacle and yeah the base HD was tiny.
But I was expressly referring to the concept of a small Notebook without Floppy or OD not being something new or unique about the MBA. Nothing more, nothing less ;-)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seems this whole thread has flown over your heads, right boys? I am referring to the two of you above my post.

Quick refresher:

Question 1:
Can you two tell us which computer manufacturer based their design heavily or lightly on the tapered macbook air with a latch design?

(Trick Question: no one did cause it was crap!)

Question 2:
Can you two tell us which electronics company, formerly a computer company, once going by the name of "_ _ _ _ _ Computer" fixed their crap design by taking their cue from the wedge design of a pc manufacturer?

I won't answer this, I 'll give you a hint, the pc manufacturer is Sony.
Yeah because a MBA looks just like a Sony Viao notebook. :rolleyes:

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
They shouldn't have to defend themselves. This doesn't look like a macbook air at all. Now, the HP Envy line, they should be ashamed of themselves for.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Attempting to design a notebook computer with such a thin form factor is almost impossible without going around and nearly touching on the Macbook Air's looks. Sure, the keyboard and side-view of the computer look alike, but there are clear differences such as the LCD hinges, ports, color, and overall design; the Macbook Air is more rounded in the corners than the Ultrabook. And as said previously, Apple cannot put any ownership on the color silver.

Unfortunately, as mighty as I find Apple, they will sue for what they can so I doubt HP will be safe from this one.

This is not bad compared to the eOne, which was a clear mimic of the iMac G3 in color and form. eMachines deserved that bash on the head.

Also, this:

Everyone feeds off each other's ideas.
Well I'm glad Apple didn't feed too much off the Vaio's design cues. Where's the trackpad and palm rest on that thing?

If Apple was going to sue over the MBA/MBP design they would have done so already.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yeah because a MBA looks just like a Sony Viao notebook. :rolleyes:

The point is, if you go for rough guidelines on "copying" like "But it's wedge shaped! It's silver!", then yes, the MBA took those cues from the Vaio X505 too, so it's also "a copycat", as much as this spectre. Of course, no sane person would claim such a thing. Nor would they claim that Apple innovated or invented the "Wedge shaped thin laptop!". The Reality Distortion field is a myth... right ? :eek:

If you prefer to look at the whole package in detail, it's quite obvious the Spectre looks much more like an evolution of the Pavillon model blow45 showed than of a MBA though.

----------

- 1920 x 1080 IPS panel
- nVidia 620GT

I wish it was a copy of the MacBook Air. I wish I owned a MBA with those specs.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There's a hinge so its always going to be wedge shaped or a little bigger in the back. You have a motherboard and screen hardware so unless you want a tablet its going to be in this form factor. If this "no copy" mentality were used in the early 1900s we would be driving cars with 5 wheels and an engine in the passenger seat.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
This discussion is pointless. Everyone will still want an MBA over the junk HP no matter how closely the HP resembles an Air.

Even the HP chairman chooses the MBA. LOL.

hp-raylanemacbookairlg.jpg

HP Chairman Caught Using Macbook Air at Home
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/11/21/hp.chairman.found.not.dogfooding.own.pcs/

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

tubuliferous

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
"...only so many solutions..."

The "only so many solutions" argument has also been used to justify plagiarism in scientific literature. It would be interesting to see what HP's design roadmap looked like prior to the introduction of the latest MacBook Air form.

There is little doubt in this matter that HP was heavily influenced by Apple, which has itself borrowed heavily from the designs of other computer manufacturers. Does it matter? I'm not being glib in asking this question. Is it reasonable to expect entrants in the computer design battle, or for that matter any contest with the capacity to spawn great creativity, to bring entirely novel competition? There are many ways to skin a cat, but some ways are better than others. While it is important to protect and reward innovation with patents and lawsuits, where is the line drawn in consideration of broad design motifs? Is it that we stymy the progress of an entire industry by ruthlessly protecting novelty, or do we promote diversity by firmly protecting individual examples of creativity?

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The point is, if you go for rough guidelines on "copying" like "But it's wedge shaped! It's silver!", then yes, the MBA took those cues from the Vaio X505 too, so it's also "a copycat", as much as this spectre. Of course, no sane person would claim such a thing. Nor would they claim that Apple innovated or invented the "Wedge shaped thin laptop!". The Reality Distortion field is a myth... right ? :eek:

If you prefer to look at the whole package in detail, it's quite obvious the Spectre looks much more like an evolution of the Pavillon model blow45 showed than of a MBA though.

----------

- 1920 x 1080 IPS panel
- nVidia 620GT

I wish it was a copy of the MacBook Air. I wish I owned a MBA with those specs.
Yes I'm going off the total look not one specific trait (wedge, silver' etc). The point isn't arguing whether Apple invented the wedge shaped or silver laptops (they didn't) but why competetors feel the need to ape the overall look & feel of MBA/Pro. Samsung has shown you can do thin and light without resembling MBA. And since no one else is doing CNC machined unibody aluminum their attempts at copying will always look inferior anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.