Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
They use Qualcomm's basebannd code. They don't just stamp a chip on a board and call it a day, Thanks Qualcomm! The entire circuitry is licensed before a single board is stamped. Apple's licensing of Nokia's GSM/3G patents has already been addressed.

Right, usually the licensing deals are made first, although that wasn't done for years in the case of Apple-Nokia.

As I said, you pay royalties for various soft/hardware pieces separately from the chip. That way you only pay per device for the functionality that you need. E.g. you wouldn't want to pay HSUPA related royalties on devices without HSUPA.

--

While this answers why chips don't come pre-licensed for everything, it doesn't address the HTC lawsuit, where HTC apparently bought some patents explicitly for a purpose like this:

In the filing, HTC asserts that Apple has either infringed or induced to infringe their OFDM patent, either directly or via the doctrine of equivalents.

Inducement to infringe could mean that Apple has imported devices using chips made overseas that run afoul of that USA patent.

The doctrine of equivalents means that the infringement doesn't have to be exactly what the patent claims say, but infringes by way of doing the same thing in basically the same way.

My guess is that HTC thinks they found a patent that covered a WiFi chipset used in many Apple products.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

ho hum ...yawn - another patent dispute

go out to a jazz club and have a drink and listen to some good music

"what's new..." - dexter gordon - 1964

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Apple is already killing Android on usability and profitability.

Funny that... Steve Jobs said that same thing to Bill Gates (well, "Our stuff is better" all those years ago... Bill Gates replied, "It doesn't matter"

Apple are making billions upon billions, however once the eastern manufacturers start to pick up marketshare, they will slowly but surely erode away the iPhone. But you never know!

As for people saying they don't feel sorry for Apple. Who cares? They have more money than anyone else in the bank, lawsuits take years and chances are the money they would lose should they have to license would be small. One way or another someone would sue eventually. This is business, no need to get emotional.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Eh? On the iPhone there is an app for the appstore. No need to "struggle" with the web.

What would that be for?? Seriously who uses iTunes on their mac/PC to download apps?

Anyone???

itunes sucks, so of course no one would want to use it unless they had no other choice. Android market on the other hand works in a web browser. The larger viewing area is reason enough to use it on a computer. That's the whole reasoning behind ipad in addition to iphone right? Because thats the only thing ipad has over iphone.

----------

LOL True story. It literally looked like an iPod touch/iPhone 3G to all of us.

So even with the big samsung logo and much bigger size you guys still couldnt figure out which one was the android?

andrew086

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
At the end of the day, people only buy non Apple products coz they can't afford the real thing. Anyone who says otherwise is just deluding themselves, this is not fanboyism, it's just a fact.

I paid more for my Android phone when I could have purchased an iPhone and I have no regrets. Some people like the freedom that Android provides (e.g. custom ROMs)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I paid more for my Android phone when I could have purchased an iPhone and I have no regrets. Some people like the freedom that Android provides (e.g. custom ROMs)

You don't even have to go as far as custom ROMs.

I like having apps that let me customize my homescreen. I am very glad that I don't have to jailbreak (root for Android) my phone to get my homescreen looking however I want it.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You don't even have to go as far as custom ROMs.

I like having apps that let me customize my homescreen. I am very glad that I don't have to jailbreak (root for Android) my phone to get my homescreen looking however I want it.

You mean there's no Android overlord lurking in the background to tell you that "you're looking at it wrong"?

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I want to add something to the discussion, but am afraid of the flames. :|

Haha, you won't get flamed unless you are being an @$$ in the way you post your comment. Everyone has their own opinion, it's just people who think their opinion is the ONLY way for things to be is who gets flamed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.