Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
A smartphone doesn't have any certain things that make it a smartphone. It's a name thrown out for sales. There are flip phone smart phones even. Really all a smart phone is is a phone that does more then what a normal phone does. Back in 1998 there really wasn't much you could do with phones other than change the nokia color casings so once phones started to be able to do more things, they branded them as smart phones. So yes, when the iPhone was released it was a smart phone. Just because you didn't think that it was doesn't mean it wasn't.

My SE w810 and more would do about everything the first iPhone could, yet it was not dubbed smartphone.

Don't mistake "Feature Phone" with "Smart phone". While there is no agreed standard definition of a smartphone, most everyone in the industry agrees that Apple first released a feature phone, not a smart phone.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I have to agree that all these threads are turning into crap. And it's because of posters LIKE YOU who feel the need to do so. I seriously don't understand why it's so hard to get along. :mad: :(

Wait, it's my fault this thread turned to crap. Why is more my fault than yours or anyone elses ? :rolleyes:

Don't mistake the "I don't agree with this poster, so the thread is crap because of him" with the actual reason : Apple does controversial things that spawn controversy and disagreements.

Heck, going by your own mindset here : If everyone just agreed with me, these threads would be much more enjoyable. It's the fault of anyone who disagrees with me.

Or am I misunderstanding you here ?

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
My SE w810 and more would do about everything the first iPhone could, yet it was not dubbed smartphone.

Don't mistake "Feature Phone" with "Smart phone". While there is no agreed standard definition of a smartphone, most everyone in the industry agrees that Apple first released a feature phone, not a smart phone.

Who is most everyone in the industry? I have never even heard of a feature phone, but I have heard of a smartphone broadly thrown around, so yes, the iPhone was a smartphone.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
By that logic it also shows demand for all other tabs proposed by KnightWRX since I have seen posts in favor of that too. So why this only?

Because it's like Apple... said, anyone who disagrees with him is wrong and only turning threads to crap. So he's right, we're all wrong, and we should stop posting. :rolleyes:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Wait, it's my fault this thread turned to crap. Why is more my fault than yours or anyone elses ? :rolleyes:

Don't mistake the "I don't agree with this poster, so the thread is crap because of him" with the actual reason : Apple does controversial things that spawn controversy and disagreements.

Heck, going by your own mindset here : If everyone just agreed with me, these threads would be much more enjoyable. It's the fault of anyone who disagrees with me.

Or am I misunderstanding you here ?

Because you can't seem to accept that just because you don't think that way, it doesn't mean you're right. Everyone else expresses their opinions but also realize there are other opinions, but for you you're opinion is the only opinion.

----------

By that logic it also shows demand for all other tabs proposed by KnightWRX since I have seen posts in favor of that too. So why this only?

Um no, because posts related to those topics don't start off with multiple people saying I wish you would create a new tab for this. But yet this thread DID start off that way.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Who is most everyone in the industry? I have never even heard of a feature phone, but I have heard of a smartphone broadly thrown around, so yes, the iPhone was a smartphone.

The first iPhone was a feature phone. AT&T sold it as a feature phone. It's data plan pricing is that of a FEATURE PHONE.

By almost every metric the first iPhone failed to make it to a smart phone category. It was a really nice FEATURE PHONE.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Because you can't seem to accept that just because you don't think that way, it doesn't mean you're right. Everyone else expresses their opinions but also realize there are other opinions, but for you you're opinion is the only opinion.

Hum... right back at you ? You did the same with your "90% of people want a Patents tab!" and wouldn't let go. Look in a mirror before you try to call out others would you ? :rolleyes:

Again : You're making the classic mistake. Because I don't agree with you, you think I'm just here to stir the pot. Hint : I just don't agree with you. We're discussing. If you're getting emotional over this, you are having issues here, not me.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
A smartphone doesn't have any certain things that make it a smartphone. It's a name thrown out for sales. There are flip phone smart phones even. Really all a smart phone is is a phone that does more then what a normal phone does. Back in 1998 there really wasn't much you could do with phones other than change the nokia color casings so once phones started to be able to do more things, they branded them as smart phones. So yes, when the iPhone was released it was a smart phone. Just because you didn't think that it was doesn't mean it wasn't.

I would agree with you - but then a lot of people here would be up in arms because that shatters the illusion that the iPhone was the first smart phone. And believe me - there are many here who would have you believe that there weren't any before Apple.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Because it's like Apple... said, anyone who disagrees with him is wrong and only turning threads to crap. So he's right, we're all wrong, and we should stop posting. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. What I am saying is every single post I have noticed you put on these forums is complaining that Apple isn't doing it YOUR WAY. Just like your posts about how I can't put my Username and password in the Appstore to download Lion because I don't want my name on here computer, which it wouldn't be once you logged out, but you want it you're way so Apple MUST sell USB Lion Installers because I won't create a usb installer of my own. Granted they did start selling them but not because of your issue, but I am sure in your mind you were proven right by it.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. What I am saying is every single post I have noticed you put on these forums is complaining that Apple isn't doing it YOUR WAY. Just like your posts about how I can't put my Username and password in the Appstore to download Lion because I don't want my name on here computer, which it wouldn't be once you logged out, but you want it you're way so Apple MUST sell USB Lion Installers because I won't create a usb installer of my own. Granted they did start selling them but not because of your issue, but I am sure in your mind you were proven right by it.
I'm siding with you. :D

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I would agree with you - but then a lot of people here would be up in arms because that shatters the illusion that the iPhone was the first smart phone. And believe me - there are many here who would have you believe that there weren't any before Apple.

If anyone things apple created the smartphone, then that's their own problem. Apple did create the BEST smartphone at the time and the most mainstream one.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom

If they think iPhone was THE Smartphone then i have no problem agreeing with them.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Um no, because posts related to those topics don't start off with multiple people saying I wish you would create a new tab for this. But yet this thread DID start off that way.

I am still trying to understand how this makes the patent tab more desirable than others, just because it had a "first" than a "middle".

Just because Apple grumpies are first to post doesn't mean it is to be imposed on others.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You're so blinkered its almost funny. Try this for innovation - open a web browser, to to market.android.com, pick and app and click install. Couple of seconds later your android phone will start installing the app. No wires, no itunes, just nice simple integration.There's lots more stuff out there that Apple hasn't even touched yet but is available on other "smartphones".

That's a nice feature, I hadn't heard of that. I rarely bring my iPad with me when I'm away from home, so that would be a nice, handy way of installing apps on it, from the office.

inbeforetheboat

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Not feeling sorry for Apple at all. For what they did to Samsung here in Europe and in Australia, it's ... out of words.

Let the patent war begin.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
If anyone things apple created the smartphone, then that's their own problem. Apple did create the BEST smartphone at the time and the most mainstream one.

Again, opinion.

I had a E71 before buying a 3GS. I bought it, met my friend (who also owned one) and he was like "finally you bought an iPhone man".

Fast forward three days and my response to him when we meet: "are you seriously in love with this thing that doesn't let me watch youtube without stupid filtering (watched tons of youtube on E71), makes me install iTunes + Quicktime on my PC which I have never liked and disables my copying of media from the bluetooth port on my PC to the phone?"

His response: "dude it's cool. And it is an iPhone".

I just sold the 3GS after, picked up a BB 9000 and then picked an iPhone 4 after it broke since Rogers didn't offer anything other than an iPhone 4 as a smartphone device to me through retentions. But now that I can buy phones off-contract I am not at all buying into locked-down stuff again. I code for controllers etc and it's an envy to see my course mate able to use their phone for all the cool tech-developer stuff that I cannot do unless I pay $1000+ for a macbook and then $99 for rights to upload the code on the phone.

Maybe it is hard for people to understand that appstore apps are not everyone's requirements. I have paid more and installed more jailbreak apps than ones from app store. As for games the casual games on these devices are just for time wasting, which I usually waste reading books etc. Hardcore gaming fails in iOS.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Again, opinion.

I had a E71 before buying a 3GS. I bought it, met my friend (who also owned one) and he was like "finally you bought an iPhone man".

Fast forward three days and my response to him when we meet: "are you seriously in love with this thing that doesn't let me watch youtube without stupid filtering (watched tons of youtube on E71), makes me install iTunes + Quicktime on my PC which I have never liked and disables my copying of media from the bluetooth port on my PC to the phone?"

His response: "dude it's cool. And it is an iPhone".

I just sold the 3GS after, picked up a BB 9000 and then picked an iPhone 4 after it broke since Rogers didn't offer anything other than an iPhone 4 as a smartphone device to me through retentions. But now that I can buy phones off-contract I am not at all buying into locked-down stuff again. I code for controllers etc and it's an envy to see my course mate able to use their phone for all the cool tech-developer stuff that I cannot do unless I pay $1000+ for a macbook and then $99 for rights to upload the code on the phone.

Maybe it is hard for people to understand that appstore apps are not everyone's requirements. I have paid more and installed more jailbreak apps than ones from app store. As for games the casual games on these devices are just for time wasting, which I usually waste reading books etc. Hardcore gaming fails in iOS.

I don't think you got what I was saying, a blackberry is a smartphone, an iPhone is a smartphone, Windows phones are a smart phone. There is a broad spectrum to what is considered a smartphone and MANY phone fall under it. I was referring to the other poster saying that the iPhone wasn't a smart phone because it didn't have an appstore or sdk, which is false. The first smartphones didn't have an app store either but they were still smart phones.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Really ? I find it tedious. Just browsing the web on the thing is hard for me and I especially hate typing on it.

Eh? On the iPhone there is an app for the appstore. No need to "struggle" with the web.

The web based Android Market is nice because you don't need iTunes if you want to browse and install from a computer. Now with iCloud Apple has a similar solution, however you still need iTunes and can't just open your browser and do it. I'd bet a web based App Store from Apple is in the works.

Until recently the big advantage that iOS had over Android was integration with your home computer. Now with web based solutions like the new Android Market and Google Music Beta Android has great integration with your home computer without installing any (or very little in the case of Google Music Beta) special software.

What would that be for?? Seriously who uses iTunes on their mac/PC to download apps?

Anyone???

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Eh? On the iPhone there is an app for the appstore. No need to "struggle" with the web.

What would that be for?? Seriously who uses iTunes on their mac/PC to download apps?

Anyone???
To be honest the App store on iOS devices (and in iTunes) sucks for comparing multiple applications.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Anyone???

Either way would be hard to be honest, for the web or the apps store. I personally don't mind it, but I can see where the OP was coming from, especially on a 3.5" screen.

I actually use iTunes to download some apps when I am not on the iPad. Now, that's not to say that I would prefer iTunes on the desktop over the app store on the iPad, but I've been working with apps like Things and Daylite on the desktop and thought, "I wonder if there's an iPad app for this?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.