Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
A HD display phone? Say no more!! Clearly fandroid!
Because I don't really know anyone apart from fandroids who barks about HD display on the phones. Like your eyes are really able to distinguish the difference made by higher density pixels on the screen!!

I'm surprised you forgot to mention the removable battery, micro SD and flash support! :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha ha there you go quoting half a post again - waste of time talking to you clearly you are tied to one brand, enjoy it - I prefer diversity. Come back when you have tried anything other than Apple.

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
You use A PHONE 10 minutes PER MONTH to talk ???
Ok, you should be 15 years old or something like that .... :rolleyes:

I'm 41 if you need to know. And I wasn't talking about phone, I was talking about smartphone. If talking is only use case you could imagine - just buy small feature phone with great battery life and start making fun of huge and inconvenient iphones.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Another crap Android ripoff. I'm surprised Samsung wasn't first to the show.

Well that's because Samsung will take what Apple did and make it better.
It's just a matter of time before Samsung releases their version or technique of finger print scanning.

I wouldn't doubt if Samsung asks kids with the iPhone5S or 5C what they like about it, its use and what could be done to make it better.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm 41 if you need to know. And I wasn't talking about phone, I was talking about smartphone. If talking is only use case you could imagine - just buy small feature phone with great battery life and start making fun of huge and inconvenient iphones.

A smartphone is still a phone, a device designed to talk.
Talking isn't THE ONLY use, but surely 10 minutes PER MONTH isn't an use at all ....
I'm 41 too, and I need to communicate with people. Email, iMessage, text ... all of them are communication means, but in my opinion nothing comparable to voice (for a human being) ....

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Sounds like an Apple sheep who didn't get his iPhone. Really, the worst camera in the last 5 years?

Clearly, you are full of it. While the HTC One has low megapixels, it has a good camera.

Here is a comparison of the iphone 5s, htc one, lg g2, galaxy note 3, and xperia z1's cameras:

http://asia.cnet.com/smartphone-cam...-galaxy-note-3-vs-sony-xperia-z1-62222509.htm

It stands up pretty well to the other 4, and with 4.3 now out on most versions, it's far better then it was when it launched.

Honestly, I doubt you even own an HTC One and just want to hate on android.

I don't have one? Are you kidding? I have been embroiled in the worst customer service experience I have ever endured these past few weeks with the following complaints.

1) The 'Aluminium' on the volume rocker has all but vanished. It has rubbed off in the space of 6 months. I can assure you I baby my tech. It stays in a pocket with no change or keys. I haven't subjected the button to undue stress or used it beyond it's appropriate use. The way HTC see it, I have used the phone to smooth wood. They won't put it right under warranty. So, this so called build quality sucks as do the idiotic excuses the sinking ship spout on their emails to me.

2) The camera. Thanks for the links. As far as I can see, in most (not all) of these shots, the HTC fares not as good as the others?. The images are too soft. However, thats not my complaint, it's with HTC's warranty department. My camera (maybe not yours) continually and I mean continually auto focuses. It's so bad it takes 3 or 4 goes just to take a simple snap of my daughter while she is sitting still for the picture! Then, when you do get a good shot, there is a blur spot in one of the corners. Nothing I do gets rid of this. Zooming in? Forget it.

I absolutely, without question, hate the phone. Android is alright I suppose but its not this holy grail of alternate software that Android fans like yourself bleat on about. Its got bloatware, it crashes and all this customisation that gets raved about just clutters up the screen IMO. You may like that and frankly good for you. I don't.

I'm not a super fan of any OS or brand. I have had iphones, windows phones and now Android. You can see then I am willing to try yes?

Take a second to re read what you just typed and realise I don't just "want to hate on Android". I'm not childish, I have more important things going on in my life.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
I don't have one? Are you kidding? I have been embroiled in the worst customer service experience I have ever endured these past few weeks with the following complaints.

1) The 'Aluminium' on the volume rocker has all but vanished. It has rubbed off in the space of 6 months. I can assure you I baby my tech. It stays in a pocket with no change or keys. I haven't subjected the button to undue stress or used it beyond it's appropriate use. The way HTC see it, I have used the phone to smooth wood. They won't put it right under warranty. So, this so called build quality sucks as do the idiotic excuses the sinking ship spout on their emails to me.

2) The camera. Thanks for the links. As far as I can see, in most (not all) of these shots, the HTC fares not as good as the others?. The images are too soft. However, thats not my complaint, it's with HTC's warranty department. My camera (maybe not yours) continually and I mean continually auto focuses. It's so bad it takes 3 or 4 goes just to take a simple snap of my daughter while she is sitting still for the picture! Then, when you do get a good shot, there is a blur spot in one of the corners. Nothing I do gets rid of this. Zooming in? Forget it.

I absolutely, without question, hate the phone. Android is alright I suppose but its not this holy grail of alternate software that Android fans like yourself bleat on about. Its got bloatware, it crashes and all this customisation that gets raved about just clutters up the screen IMO. You may like that and frankly good for you. I don't.

I'm not a super fan of any OS or brand. I have had iphones, windows phones and now Android. You can see then I am willing to try yes?

Take a second to re read what you just typed and realise I don't just "want to hate on Android". I'm not childish, I have more important things going on in my life.

Hum. Well you got a lemon I guess. Mine takes excellent shots, not on the level of the s4 or iphone 5s, but still excellent shots. No aluminum has rubbed off either.

Don 't blame the phone itself for getting a lemon, that can happen with apple products too :( Although if HTC sucks as much as you say in support..

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even HTC's website is a mess. Click the "Learn More" button for the HTC One max and it goes to a "missing page".

http://www.htc.com/ca/smartphones/htc-one-max/

FAIL!

----------

Well that's because Samsung will take what Apple did and make it better.
It's just a matter of time before Samsung releases their version or technique of finger print scanning.

I wouldn't doubt if Samsung asks kids with the iPhone5S or 5C what they like about it, its use and what could be done to make it better.

Samsung will best Apple? Please, give me 3 examples.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
NFC does NOT require phones to be bumped or clicked together. It's NEAR Field Communication, not bump communication. AirDrop requires a wifi connection, while NFC does not. AirDrop requires that I give my router's password out to anyone I'd like to use the feature with, or ask my host for their router's password. Awkward to say the least! I can also share fly fishing pics while on a stream, miles from any wifi connection.

I have an HTC One, and love its 4.7" screen compared to the 5s and iPod 5g. iPhone users will be loving their iPhone 6's 4.5" screen, so get used to it now. :D

Hand waving is for magicians, so I'll skip that one as well.....

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
NFC does NOT require phones to be bumped or clicked together. It's NEAR Field Communication, not bump communication. AirDrop requires a wifi connection, while NFC does not. AirDrop requires that I give my router's password out to anyone I'd like to use the feature with, or ask my host for their router's password. Awkward to say the least! I can also share fly fishing pics while on a stream, miles from any wifi connection.

I have an HTC One, and love its 4.7" screen compared to the 5s and iPod 5g. iPhone users will be loving their iPhone 6's 4.5" screen, so get used to it now. :D

Hand waving is for magicians, so I'll skip that one as well.....

AirDrop does not require being connected to a wifi network. That would defeat the purpose. Look up how AirDrop is used on apple.com.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm typing this from my iPad. When I turn off wifi, and turn on Airdrop, I'm prompted to enter my Apple ID. With wifi off, the ID is not accepted. Turn wifi back on, and it is accepted. I did read about Airdrop's requirements, and it works over a wifi connection.

EDIT:
From Apple's site: AirDrop transfers information using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. You need an iCloud account to share with Contacts.

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'm typing this from my iPad. When I turn off wifi, and turn on Airdrop, I'm prompted to enter my Apple ID. With wifi off, the ID is not accepted. Turn wifi back on, and it is accepted. I did read about Airdrop's requirements, and it works over a wifi connection.

EDIT:
From Apple's site: AirDrop transfers information using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. You need an iCloud account to share with Contacts.

Yes.

I didn't say AirDrop didn't require Wifi. It does. But it does not require the two parties to be connected to an external wifi network. You talked about having to give out your router password, etc, which isn't how it works. It's a direct connection that's established using wifi and bluetooth.

This is why for sharing it is superior to NFC since presumably the range is significantly greater. You could share to a group of people at once, etc.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
What if we aren't on an open wifi network? I don't share my wifi password with anyone, so if you come to my house, Airdrop won't work for us. I did some additional quick reading, and some consider NFC to be more secure, as it requires the devices to be quite close. A wifi connection is not always available, so NFC is not flawed technology. NFC tags also provide a lot of functionality for users as well.

My wife was trying to send pics from her iPhone to her rMBP, but that doesn't seem possible without some sort of workaround....???

P.S. What's the difference between an external and internal wifi network? Can I use Airdrop without an actual wifi connection, as long as my device's wifi setting is turned on?

Edit: Does Airdrop require that only the sender be connected to wifi, and the receivers get the data via Bluetooth?

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
What if we aren't on an open wifi network? I don't share my wifi password with anyone, so if you come to my house, Airdrop won't work for us. I did some additional quick reading, and some consider NFC to be more secure, as it requires the devices to be quite close. A wifi connection is not always available, so NFC is not flawed technology. NFC tags also provide a lot of functionality for users as well.

My wife was trying to send pics from her iPhone to her rMBP, but that doesn't seem possible without some sort of workaround....???

P.S. What's the difference between an external and internal wifi network? Can I use Airdrop without an actual wifi connection, as long as my device's wifi setting is turned on?

Edit: Does Airdrop require that only the sender be connected to wifi, and the receivers get the data via Bluetooth?

It doesn't need any external wifi network at all to work so availability of any network doesn't matter. By "external" I mean it doesn't need anything outside of the temporary connection created by the two phones- it's a direct connection between the two devices using wifi, akin to connecting two PCs together with a crossover cable. I don't know exactly how it uses bluetooth, but I assume it's just for discovery of the other device(s), and the transfer happens over wifi.

All involved devices need bluetooth and wifi on- if you turn on AirDrop it will turn those on anyway if they're off. I'm not sure the very close proximity required of NFC should be considered an advantage, especially not how this is being used (sending files to another phone where only the recipient can receive them), but OK- I mean it's not like you can AirDrop files *from* another device without that person's knowledge. You can only send, and the person on the other end has to accept the file.

It doesn't work between the phone and the macbook because AirDrop isn't compatible (yet?) between iOS and Mac OS X.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Here's the deal...

• AirDrop - uses Bluetooth to establish a WiFi Direct connection to send a single file to a single recipient.
  • Android Beam - uses NFC to establish a Bluetooth connection to send a single file to a single recipient.
  • Samsung S Beam - uses NFC to establish a WiFi Direction connection to send a single file to a single recipient.
  • Samsung ShareShot - uses WiFi Direct to share all photos being taken (say, at a party) with any number of other recipients.
The primary advantage of the versions that use NFC to establish the connection, is that it's much easier to do. No need to first find possible recipients and then choose from them. The sheer fact that you've put your devices next to each other indicates that choice.

Just be in the app that you want to share (contact, photo, map, whatever) and hold your phone near the recipient's phone to initiate a connection. Tap Send. Other side taps Accept. Then you can move away from each other while the file is transferred over BT / WiFi. Super easy. Even a child can do it without having to know how to read a recipient list.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Here's the deal...

• AirDrop - uses Bluetooth to establish a WiFi Direct connection to send a single file to a single recipient.
  • Android Beam - uses NFC to establish a Bluetooth connection to send a single file to a single recipient.
  • Samsung S Beam - uses NFC to establish a WiFi Direction connection to send a single file to a single recipient.
  • Samsung ShareShot - uses WiFi Direct to share all photos being taken (say, at a party) with any number of other recipients.

AirDrop can send files to multiple recipients.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yep, and multiple files.

I dig on creating a what's effectively a close range peer-to-peer sharing network, with access control limiting people I know vs. anyone. We were at a dance recital, and I shot some photos, found other parents close by with an everyone AirDrop share running, and sent them photos from my seat about 15 feet away, very cool.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania

During my brief google search, that was cited as prime example of Airdrop's advantage for business meetings, etc. I'm still not sure if I can stand in the middle of a stream and use Airdrop, but there are advantages to both systems. It's likely that we'll see further development of both. Being able to share data from an Apple device to an Android device via something like Airdrop might be much further down the road, however.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think jrswizzle is being as anal as some football referees.

In order to 'catch a football' you must first touch it. Yes, there are 2 distinct activities, touching, then catching. But they're done at the same time, and can also be considered 1 act. (Now making a 'football move' and 'possessing' the ball is another thing. lol)

This is similar to the fingerprint sensor. Yes, the OS has to do 2 things - wake up, and scan the finger, but the USER only has to do 1 thing - touch the sensor.

LOL.. in HTC's case.. more like a fumble and a recovery!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm still not sure if I can stand in the middle of a stream and use Airdrop

Standing where?

I can also share fly fishing pics while on a stream, miles from any wifi connection.

Oh OK :D

(that sounds awesome BTW :) )

You can, if the other iOS client is close enough to negotiate the BT handshake, then the devices transfer DIRECTLY to each other using WiFi technology (that doesn't require a network/router/etc)

If you want to share those flyfishing pics with folks back at the office (you know, to rub it in), then you'd probably just want to use Flickr or Photobucket, i.e., some kind of public image sharing service.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Ah, thank you... you're right about multiple related files. Turns out that's now true for the others as well.

Please verify this updated list:

• AirDrop - uses Bluetooth to establish a WiFi Direct connection to send a file or multiple similar files to multiple recipients by sequentially selecting each recipient.

• Android Beam - uses close proximity NFC to establish a Bluetooth connection to send a file or multiple similar files to a single recipient.

• Samsung S Beam - uses close proximity NFC to establish a WiFi Direct connection to send a file or multiple similar files to a single recipient.

• Samsung ShareShot - uses WiFi Direct to automatically share all photos being taken by multiple preselected recipients.

Last edited:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Standing where?

Oh OK :D

(that sounds awesome BTW :) )

You can, if the other iOS client is close enough to negotiate the BT handshake, then the devices transfer DIRECTLY to each other using WiFi technology (that doesn't require a network/router/etc)

If you want to share those flyfishing pics with folks back at the office (you know, to rub it in), then you'd probably just want to use Flickr or Photobucket, i.e., some kind of public image sharing service.

THANKS! I was going to grab a colleague, and stand in an alley to test, but you saved me. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.