Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Take a look at this gorgeous phone, I am an iOS guy myself but I can't deny just how modern and slick this phone looks. However they have one glaring issue that - for me at least - ruins their beautiful design, and that is plastering their logo on the FRONT of the phone for you to see at all times.

Why would anyone like this? the iOS devices don't do this nor do the Nexus devices, and for good reason, its distracting - and in my opinion, defaces the overall look of the phone - especially if its visible from an angle your going to be spending all your time on.

Not to sound fickle, but I would of loved to have given this phone a try, but as it stands right now I can't because I would find the HTC logo constantly staring at me to be distractive. I understand why they do it, HTC isn't a hugely popular brand and as the majority of folk like to cover the back of their phones using cases, it can make it difficult to see which type of phone it is. This hasn't worked in its favour for me, maybe it has for you?

Leave your thoughts below : )

HTC2_STILL_01.jpg

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I agree, it also offcenters the screen when watching videos, and that actually bugs me more. Wish it was like the concepts.

Also, Galaxy phones have a Samsung logo on the front, usually above the screen. The only phones I have seen without front logos are Apple, Nexus, Moto X, and Palm Pre/Pixi line.

This was my favorite concept of the M8, hopefully the M9 is closer to this design.

HTC-M8-One-2-concept.jpg

Last edited:

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I agree, it also offcenters the screen when watching videos, and that actually bugs me more. Wish it was like the concepts.

Also, Galaxy phones also have a Samsung logo on the front, usually above the screen. The only phones I have seen without front logos are Apple, Nexus, Moto X, and Palm Pre/Pixi line.

Fix'd, thank you for correcting me : )

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Not to sound fickle, but I would of loved to have given this phone a try, but as it stands right now I can't because I would find the HTC logo constantly staring at me to be distractive. I understand why they do it, HTC isn't a hugely popular brand and as the majority of folk like to cover the back of their phones using cases, it can make it difficult to see which type of phone it is. This hasn't worked in its favour for me, maybe it has for you?

Ha, comforting to know I'm not alone. Design choices like this drive me mad. The concept picture above is so utterly beautiful, but then that logo comes in and ruins it, making a total mess together with the onscreen buttons. If that logo wasn't there, I would not have been able to refrain from getting either of the Ones, even if I really prefer a bigger screen.

And the really sad thing about it is that the One has features that clearly makes it stand out from the crowd without that logo rubbing it in. Obviously the speakers are central - and letting them speak for themselves would have been even more elegant considering how BoomSound is one of the selling points of both models.

Another point to this IMO is that the absence of a logo on the front adds confidence to the brand. I think noone disagrees about Apple being masters of design and that this is extremely important for the success of their brand. The iPhone is bold - everyone knows that it's an iPhone, it doesn't need a logo on the front to show this. It's a subtle point perhaps, but then brand identity is all about psychology.

Also, no logo on the front allows the owner to feel more at home with the device. The home screen is then allowed to be the center of focus and truly a "home" for the user. Something which Android can take even more advantage of because of how the customization aspect is one of its core features. With a big fat corporate logo in my face, I feel more like I'm renting space than owning it.

At least with the original one, that bezel strip with the logo on it also housed the tactile buttons. The current one really, really has no business being there.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I got one today, it doesn't worry me, the black bar where it is on the bottom is handy, stops me hitting the buttons. I would prefer that than a apple stuck on my phone:)

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
The logo is there to make room for the duo camera setup, not to make sure we know what brand the phone is from. Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit. Though if something this crazy were to happen on the software side, then that would drive me nuts...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Take a look at this gorgeous phone, I am an iOS guy myself but I can't deny just how modern and slick this phone looks. However they have one glaring issue that - for me at least - ruins their beautiful design, and that is plastering their logo on the FRONT of the phone for you to see at all times.

Why would anyone like this? the iOS devices don't do this nor do the Nexus devices, and for good reason, its distracting - and in my opinion, defaces the overall look of the phone - especially if its visible from an angle your going to be spending all your time on.

You do realise that image is not of a real HTC device ?

and regardless it's all subjective.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You do realise my post is still relevant?

Only to you. Your opinion is subjective.

There is no right or wrong. Don't like it, then don't buy it.

Personally I have no issues with the HTC logo - I am more annoyed with the use of the 4mp Ultrapixel camera in their flagship and yet use a 13mp in their mid range Desire 816. That's something that makes far less design sense than a logo, and has real practical implications on users experience of the device.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Only to you. You option is subjective. End of.

There is no right or wrong. Don't like it, then don't buy it.

Personally I have no issues with the HTC logo - I am more annoyed with the use of the 4mp Ultrapixel camera in their flagship and yet use a 13mp in their mid range Desire 816. That's something that makes far less design sense than a logo, and has real practical implications on users experience of the device.

No, my post is relevant to everyone since you was originally referring to the image. The HTC logo is still visible on the front of the phone, and the phone looks very similar to the concept image.

Of course my opinion is subjective, why do you think I asked for peoples thoughts? :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, my post is relevant to everyone since you was originally referring to the image. The HTC logo is still visible on the front of the phone, and the phone looks very similar to the concept image.

Of course my opinion is subjective, why do you think I asked for peoples thoughts? :)

The question is why you couldn't just use the genuine HTC M8 photo to try and make your point?

and as I stated twice already your opinion is subjective and is neither right or wrong, as is anyone else's opinion who agrees or disagrees with you. You can exercise you right to your opinion with your wallet.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
The question is why you couldn't just use the genuine HTC M8 photo to try and make your point?

and as I stated twice already your opinion is subjective and is neither right or wrong, as is anyone else's opinion who agrees or disagrees with you. You can exercise you right to your opinion with your wallet.

Why are you still arguing? This is pointless. Stick to the topic, stop being so petty.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why are you still arguing? This is pointless. Stick to the topic, stop being so petty.

It's not petty it's fact.

You don't like the HTC logo - it takes away some of the aesthetics. OK, you are right in your opinion for you. For others a HTC logo is less onerous than a massive verizon logo or AT&T globe emblazoned on their device.

At the end of the day a logo has no practical implications on functionality of the device only on its aesthetics, and as I previously stated I would be more concerned with some of HTC's hardware choices for it's flagship device than those that do not effect its usage or hardware abilities.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am not offended by the fact that they have a logo in the front. It is indeed a very nice looking phone.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I am more annoyed with the use of the 4mp Ultrapixel camera in their flagship and yet use a 13mp in their mid range Desire 816. That's something that makes far less design sense than a logo, and has real practical implications on users experience of the device.

^^ this. Love the phone but the camera options on others would lead me to them vs this.

logo wise, it's no different that having Samsung across the top of my Note 3

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'm sorry. I like the HTC logo on the front of the device.

What I can't stand are carrier logos plastered on devices. But then I only want to use unlocked devices on MVNO's.

Kudos to Apple for not allowing carriers to ruin the iPhone and iPad.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
It's not petty it's fact.

You don't like the HTC logo - it takes away some of the aesthetics. OK, you are right in your opinion for you. For others a HTC logo is less onerous than a massive verizon logo or AT&T globe emblazoned on their device.

At the end of the day a logo has no practical implications on functionality of the device only on its aesthetics, and as I previously stated I would be more concerned with some of HTC's hardware choices for it's flagship device than those that do not effect its usage or hardware abilities.

Actually the HTC logo does have practical implications on functionality, such as making it harder to use with one hand.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I been to Verizon and AT&T stores checking out the M8. I never focused on the logo one bit to tell the truth. Guess it isn't relevant to me. If one lets that stop them from buying this smartphone since there are many other personal factors that should come before that regarding its features, .......

AND a new thread, geez!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just out of curiosity do you complain about the logos that are on your tv, computer, or car?:rolleyes:

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I do think it would have looked much nicer without the logo on the front but it's not a deal breaker for me.

What is, is the camera. Which is a shame because if Apple doesn't come out with a bigger screen phone this fall this is the only phone that could have lured me away from iOS.

While it's a nice looking phone, certainly the nices of the Android phones, I do prefer the look of the M7 more, IMO this is a bit of a step back.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
This is from Jeff Gordon, Senior Global Online Communications Manager of HTC, responding to comments made about the logo/bezel over at a recent Android Central article.

"That area isn't empty, it has a huge amount of electronics and antennae underneath. The M8 couldn't be shortened without sacrificing another feature or spec somewhere, the screen couldn't be elongated without destroying the aspect ratio, and we feel there are benefits of added flexibility by moving the buttons on screen."

The bezel IMO sticks out like a sore thumb in person on the M8. And it gets more hate because the M8 is a noticeably tall phone in hand. So when you look at it, you think to yourself, well, I wish this bezel was gone so the phone could be shorter, like the M7, but it isn't that simple. The bezel is there for a reason. Ugly or not.

OP you should swap out your photo for a proper M8. Using a render is just sloppy on your part. My gripes about the M8 go beyond the bezel. (Camera, total weight.) Honestly I'd rather just use the M7 with Sense 6 coming to it this summer if Motion Launcher is available to the device. The M7 has a much smaller footprint and is 17 grams lighter. Camera is essentially the same and you lose the SD card slot and some battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.