Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
I just bought a Loop Pay fob, and in conjunction with Apple Pay, I now no longer carry a wallet of any kind. If I get cash, they just go folded up into my pocket.

Now I carry my phone, the fob, and a drivers license. Before that I would carry about 20 cards with me, I kind of wish Apple embedded Loop Pay in addition to NFC.

Of course I'll always try Apple Pay first before resorting to my loop fob.
I can't believe how horrible these instructions are. Nothing works the way it should and I can't even get them on the phone because they are in a blizzard in Mass.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You are carrying a $600 to over $800 phone!. If you are robbed then there goes everything. Neither is safer but I prefer to still carry cash to the little daily things!

You missed my point. I'm not arguing that i am unsafe carrying acouple twenties. What I am wondering is how on earth I am SAFER carrying that money. "I carry cash for safety". Safety from what? The tax man in disguise?

----------

Cash is something that is accepted by anyone and everywhere, and you aren't reliant on a third party.

I've seen on occasion communication issues with companies and their credit terminals, where they temporarily only accept cash. There's also the chance that Apple would be down for a short while and not apple to process Apple Pay, or your credit card company could put a hold on your account due to suspicious activity. What if they do that and you don't have cell service, and you need to buy gas?

Where I live there is a gas station on every corner. Most highly populated cities are this way. I've never seen or heard of a situation where every single terminal within a ten mile radius is down. If you live in rural Nebraska, this makes sense to me. Or if you're tabelig somewhere you don't know. But we are discussing every day life here folks. I have zero reason to carry cash with me everywhere I go. Although I suppose a couple crisp bills would be nice if I ran out of toilet paper in a public bathroom, right?

Realistically I don't really care what sort of cash anyone carries. It's amazing to me how people are implying the OP will "learn someday" what happens when you don't carry cash. I'll tell you what. Nothing. The other day Regina's Pizza credit card twrminal was down. I did something that many before me did as well. I walked about 100 yards to the ATM, popped in my card, selected a cash value, and it vended me some cash that I could hand to the pizza man. It was glorious.

In the theoretical "account locked, no service, need gas" scenario I would go into the gas station and ask to use their phone. I should probably also carry a spare blanket, a couple gallons of water, and a week's worth of food in my trunk in case the world goes to ****, but I like living in the edge!

On a much more serious note (I felt I had to say that in case the extremely heavy bits of sarcasm were missed), I've actually been in a situation where the vendor wasn't able to give me change for the $20 I had due to everyone oaying in higher bills. That is totally a possibility as well. I guess the argument is to come armed with singles too, which I suppose is fair. I just had them swipe my card with square though.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I dunno folks. I know change is good but I'm older than most of you and have not had any problems with my daily routine for umpteen years with a wallet and what I carry.

I thought I may try this but if it ain't broke, ....

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I tried this 'no wallet' experiment for a few weeks two years ago with my iPhone 5 when I got a case with a credit card slot. After a few weeks it became clear to me that I would have to go out of my way to make it work and the trade-off is not worth it. There were quite of a few places that I frequent that take cash, and I like those places.

So I ended up using this Atelier wallet phone case. I now use their version for my iPhone 6. You can read about my review in the Accessories forum.

iphone_leather_wallet_black_2__96093.1411232572.1000.1000.jpg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Are we more card concentrated here or something? Now in Europe yes you do need cash as not eberywhere will take cards. But I'm in America.

I thought Europe is way ahead of us in terms of technology, especially contactless pay (which is why Apple Pay would see wider adoption over there than here, at least for the time being). So over there, they're ahead of us in terms of technology but we have more places that accept CC here? Is that an accurate statement?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You missed my point. I'm not arguing that i am unsafe carrying acouple twenties. What I am wondering is how on earth I am SAFER carrying that money. "I carry cash for safety". Safety from what? The tax man in disguise?

----------

Maybe I am old school but if I am out and about some cash and the concealed Glock make me feel safe. My company works in the apartment industry and we have to go into neighborhoods that are not so savory at times.

Most important is everyone have a choice and choose what ever they want. What we all MUST recognise is that we are all different and each of us have our own way of feeling safe.

I am hoping we do not end this thread with the usual argument/p|ssing match! I do not want to plan my day around where Apple Pay is accepted. I want to be free to change plans on the fly and do as I wish.

Do you feel safer NOT carrying money?

----------

You are looking at it wrong. We aren't looking to do these thing to use our phone/apple pay. We are doing them so we can carry less things around.

Maybe some of you are like you say but there are many who worship the Apple Pay retailers.

If some of you really want to cut back on what you carry, that 6 Plus is as heavy as any wallet.:p

----------

I dunno folks. I know change is good but I'm older than most of you and have not had any problems with my daily routine for umpteen years with a wallet and what I carry.

I thought I may try this but if it ain't broke, ....

That is about how I look at it, too! Been doing this wallet thing for many years and it has worked great.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I thought Europe is way ahead of us in terms of technology, especially contactless pay (which is why Apple Pay would see wider adoption over there than here, at least for the time being). So over there, they're ahead of us in terms of technology but we have more places that accept CC here? Is that an accurate statement?

Perhaps they're also ahead of us in term of common sense? Technology is great only if it is mature enough to improve our life, not turn us into social experiments, like wearing cargo pants to accommodate larger phones.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

The credit card technology may be ahead, but credit card acceptance? At least if Italy is any experience, not by a long shot. Many cash only full blown restaurants over there. So yes you hit the nail on the head there.

The UK on the other hand is very similar to the U.S. in terms of acceptance rates and many street vendors over there I've noticed had a PayPal or iZettle iPhone reader, like we have Square here.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Do you feel safer NOT carrying money?

No. And the fact you're asking this (again) makes me think you're still missing my point. It was said (not mecessarily by you) that carrying money is a good idea "for safety". I'm saying, "safety from what?" I would have the same bills in my wallet for months when there is no real reason for me to. If you feel better carrying cash and a gun, more power to you. I just don't see why folks are trying to convince those that don't carry cash that "their time will come". That's just silly.

I am also not trying to have a pissing match. And this thread isn't even about apple pay acceptance. It's about not carrying twenty cards everywhere you go. Nothing wrong with being "old school". Also nothing wrong with not wanting to carry cash. To each his own. Your habits don't work for me. My habits don't work for you. That's absolutelt fine.

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I was inspired by the OP (mainly because I hadn't heard of LoopPay), but I liked what I saw. I was initially going to get the Fob, but my eyes noticed the sleeker and sexier LoopPay Card. It was $20 more, but I bit on that. Threw in a case for the LoopPay Card for $5 more. Getting it thursday!

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

----------

Where I live there is a gas station on every corner. Most highly populated cities are this way. I've never seen or heard of a situation where every single terminal within a ten mile radius is down. If you live in rural Nebraska, this makes sense to me. Or if you're tabelig somewhere you don't know. But we are discussing every day life here folks. I have zero reason to carry cash with me everywhere I go. Although I suppose a couple crisp bills would be nice if I ran out of toilet paper in a public bathroom, right?

Realistically I don't really care what sort of cash anyone carries. It's amazing to me how people are implying the OP will "learn someday" what happens when you don't carry cash. I'll tell you what. Nothing. The other day Regina's Pizza credit card twrminal was down. I did something that many before me did as well. I walked about 100 yards to the ATM, popped in my card, selected a cash value, and it vended me some cash that I could hand to the pizza man. It was glorious.

In the theoretical "account locked, no service, need gas" scenario I would go into the gas station and ask to use their phone. I should probably also carry a spare blanket, a couple gallons of water, and a week's worth of food in my trunk in case the world goes to ****, but I like living in the edge!

On a much more serious note (I felt I had to say that in case the extremely heavy bits of sarcasm were missed), I've actually been in a situation where the vendor wasn't able to give me change for the $20 I had due to everyone oaying in higher bills. That is totally a possibility as well. I guess the argument is to come armed with singles too, which I suppose is fair. I just had them swipe my card with square though.
Not everyone lives their entire life in a metro city with all the conveniences anyone could want within a city block.

It's safe to carry a little cash if you ever get stranded in the middle of nowhere, in the unlikely event your credit card is declined for some reason and you don't have cell service to call your bank.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not everyone lives their entire life in a metro city with all the conveniences anyone could want within a city block.

I understand that. But you guys are projecting your experiences at this guy like you know his life.

As mentioned, what works for you doesn;t necessarily work for me, and vice versa. Saying "carry cash for safety" is silly without knowing a person' situation. It's even sillier when the person tells you their situation but you insist it would still be better for them to carry cash. This thread is not about abstaining from ever using cash. It's about not having a wallet for day to day acitivities.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No. And the fact you're asking this (again) makes me think you're still missing my point. It was said (not mecessarily by you) that carrying money is a good idea "for safety". I'm saying, "safety from what?" I would have the same bills in my wallet for months when there is no real reason for me to. If you feel better carrying cash and a gun, more power to you. I just don't see why folks are trying to convince those that don't carry cash that "their time will come". That's just silly.

I am also not trying to have a pissing match. And this thread isn't even about apple pay acceptance. It's about not carrying twenty cards everywhere you go. Nothing wrong with being "old school". Also nothing wrong with not wanting to carry cash. To each his own. Your habits don't work for me. My habits don't work for you. That's absolutelt fine.

Ah, there lies the problem. neither money or the iPhone make me feel safer compared to Glock. I will go back and re read my posts but cash does not make me feel safe. Cash is just what I have always carried and will continue to do so.

As I said before I am not willing, in any way, to change my habits for Apple Pay. I don't even have it installed on my phone as it forces me to use the finger reader which I refuse to use.

I am with you and wish people to do as they want but do not bash others if they differ in habits. This thread lived up to the same old, same old theme and I think I will exit from it now. Have a good week!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Ah, there lies the problem. neither money or the iPhone make me feel safer compared to Glock. I will go back and re read my posts but cash does not make me feel safe. Cash is just what I have always carried and will continue to do so.

As I said before I am not willing, in any way, to change my habits for Apple Pay. I don't even have it installed on my phone as it forces me to use the finger reader which I refuse to use.

I am with you and wish people to do as they want but do not bash others if they differ in habits. This thread lived up to the same old, same old theme and I think I will exit from it now. Have a good week!

Apple Pay does not force you to use Touch ID, it simply forces you to use a passcode. Touch ID is optional. You can't mock it until you try it.

Testing12

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
Southern California
About a year ago, my sister and brother-in-law went into one of their favorite local Italian restaurants for dinner only to be turned away. It seems the restaurant's credit connection was down and they said they were not equipped to take cash from all clients and therefore would be closed until the connection resumed.

Needless to say, they dined elsewhere that evening, but it does show that in some places at least even though they may take cash, they may not always take cash or may not have the cash reserves (or the proper staff) to do business.

On another note (no pun intended), a good friend of mine deals in cash 99% of the time by choice. Even though he uses an iPhone, I don't think he'd ever use Apple Pay.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I was inspired by the OP (mainly because I hadn't heard of LoopPay), but I liked what I saw. I was initially going to get the Fob, but my eyes noticed the sleeker and sexier LoopPay Card. It was $20 more, but I bit on that. Threw in a case for the LoopPay Card for $5 more. Getting it thursday!

I ordered the Fob, cannot hurt to give it a go at least. Time will tell if I like it and I hope it will be problem free.

For gas though I always pay with cash and also for a small purchase at convenience stores I have no choice.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple Pay does not force you to use Touch ID, it simply forces you to use a passcode. Touch ID is optional. You can't mock it until you try it.

I can mock it if I want.:apple:

----------

About a year ago, my sister and brother-in-law went into one of their favorite local Italian restaurants for dinner only to be turned away. It seems the restaurant's credit connection was down and they said they were not equipped to take cash from all clients and therefore would be closed until the connection resumed.

Needless to say, they dined elsewhere that evening, but it does show that in some places at least even though they may take cash, they may not always take cash or may not have the cash reserves (or the proper staff) to do business.

On another note (no pun intended), a good friend of mine deals in cash 99% of the time by choice. Even though he uses an iPhone, I don't think he'd ever use Apple Pay.

Not accepting cash at a resturant would be extremely rare. So rare that it is not a good example. I have never had cash turned down at any retail or restaurant business.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

That's more than fair. What I took issue with was folks projecting their opinions as fact for the OP. Frankly, why I took so much issue with it is beyond me lol. Live your life the way you see fit, so long as you harm nobody. I will do the same. :cool:

----------

I had no idea. I thought it required the fingerprint.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That's more than fair. What I took issue with was folks projecting their opinions as fact for the OP. Frankly, why I took so much issue with it is beyond me lol. Live your life the way you see fit, so long as you harm nobody. I will do the same. :cool:

----------

Sounds great but we both know this is the Apple iPhone Forum and . . . . . well i do not need to explain it to you! :rolleyes:

Hope you have a great week.:cool:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not accepting cash at a resturant would be extremely rare. So rare that it is not a good example. I have never had cash turned down at any retail or restaurant business.

A restaurant is probably a terrible example. But I have been to conventions where "mom and pop" vendors simply don't take cash because it is too logistically painful and annoying to come with enough change for the day's projected sales. Some of the larger vendors come with cash tills, but even they are quickly resorting to credit/debit only.

I am a big saltwater fish buff (hence the screen name) and most of those conventions are "plastic only". Square was like a godsend when it launched.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I ordered the Fob, cannot hurt to give it a go at least. Time will tell if I like it and I hope it will be problem free.

For gas though I always pay with cash and also for a small purchase at convenience stores I have no choice.
I saw on youtube that you can use your DL to sort of trigger the card reading processing at a gas station so you can use the fob.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm old school and apart from online purchases, I use cash at all times. I have my wallet in one pocket, and my phone in another. No combo wallets here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.