Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
You must not go out much. People get asked for ID all the time when paying with a credit card at many retailers, even though this practice is against CC issuers' agreement.

I'm never asked unless I am making a purchase or picking up a ship to store item at Apple retail.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
That's all I'm trying to say but you are ignoring what I'm saying.

I'm not ignoring you. I have never been able to do a transaction at Apple retail without presenting a state issued photo ID. In my case it is my DL.

I am aware that Apple is violating the merchant agreement. I see no reason to do battle with the employee who is assisting with the transaction.

It has always seemed like overkill to me to require the DL at Apple. I questioned it politely the first time it happened, January 2003. The employee told me it was to protect me. I knew that was balderdash but it seemed foolish to debate this. I showed him my DL, made the purchase and took my new iBook home.

Each and every time since that first purchase Apple store employees have required my DL.

People on this forum with an objection can contact Apple. I don't have an issue with showing the DL to the Apple store employee.

It is ironic that the company pushing Apple Pay requires a DL for a cc transaction.

No offense to you, noobinator but I am finished with this issue. This is dumber than the multiple threads on should I buy an 11" or 13" MacBook Air.

Have a good day all.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not ignoring you. I have never been able to do a transaction at Apple retail without presenting a state issued photo ID. In my case it is my DL.

I am aware that Apple is violating the merchant agreement. I see no reason to do battle with the employee who is assisting with the transaction.

It has always seemed like overkill to me to require the DL at Apple. I questioned it politely the first time it happened, January 2003. The employee told me it was to protect me. I knew that was balderdash but it seemed foolish to debate this. I showed him my DL, made the purchase and took my new iBook home.

Each and every time since that first purchase Apple store employees have required my DL.

People on this forum with an objection can contact Apple. I don't have an issue with showing the DL to the Apple store employee.

It is ironic that the company pushing Apple Pay requires a DL for a cc transaction.

No offense to you, noobinator but I am finished with this issue. This is dumber than the multiple threads on should I buy an 11" or 13" MacBook Air.

Have a good day all.

And for a 5th time you ignored the fact that you can purchase in store without showing an ID.

Have a fabulous day.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Actually mom and pops stores prefer cash as it does not involve paying fees and customers don't have to spend a minimum amount.

Did you even read my post? I'm talking about mom and pop vendors at conventions I have been to. They don't orefer cash. I know. Because I go there.

----------

Regina's Pizza still exists! I haven't been back to Boston in over 20 years but I still remember how much I love their pizza! And this is coming from a native New Yorker. :)

Best pizza I've ever had. North End is where it's at, but there is one up in New Hamoshire where my wife works so we end up ordering a oie and taking it home from there more often.

----------

Anecdote my foot. I am referring specifically and exclusively to Apple brick and mortar store. You know, the folks who are crowing about Apple Pay.

He stated your evidence is anecdotal because you couldn't site any place where that was a hard rule by Apple. Because it isn't. You very well may be getting carded for whatever reason (maybe the stores you frequent have an internal policy which is feasible). Apple, as a company, however does not.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
How can you leave your key in the car and lock it with the app? I use the OnStar app and it will not allow me to use the lock function if it detects my fob is in the car.

I have a Chevy Malibu with push-to-start and OnStar. It's awesome to never dig my keys from my purse, but you still have to carry the fob around as it will not unlock if the fob isn't within 3' of the car and won't start if the fob isn't in the cabin with you (tried putting my purse in the trunk once and it wouldn't start). It would be sweet if the car could have something like NFC and you could touch ID to unlock and start the car without having to carry the fob!!! *wishful thinking*

We're close to being wallet-less...if we could also go key-fob-less...can you just imagine walking out the door with JUST your iPhone?!?! Gosh that would be awesome!!

I have drone mobile which is made by compustar. Not sure why but I can lock the car after I have started the car. Since its a 3rd party I guess I'm able to lock with smartkey still inside the car.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I've been almost wallet free for about 6 years! Always just carry a visa debit card and my drivers licence. I recently got a minino wallet though to store a couple more cards like nectar, credit card, hotel room cards and EHIC card. Looking forward to apple pay though so I can put my credit card in there and just have by debit card in my pocket for cash withdrawals and backup card purchases.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I have a Chevy Malibu with push-to-start and OnStar. It's awesome to never dig my keys from my purse, but you still have to carry the fob around as it will not unlock if the fob isn't within 3' of the car and ...

Oh. That reminds me of once when I drove my father in his Audi to the pharmacy. When we got there, I let him out at the door so I could go park the car.

But we had forgotten that he had the fob in his pocket. Ooops.

So right after he went inside and I started to drive away, a little yellow key warning popped up on the dash, telling me that the fob had left the car!

This was a totally new situation for me. My only thought at the time, was to make sure to NOT accidentally turn off the engine, since I (assume I) had no way to restart it without the fob. :)

--

As for LoopPay, the idea is very clever.

Especially since some major merchants are avoiding NFC support.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Been doing this for over a year now. But instead of the FOB, I have one debit card I carry in my front pocket with my phone. Nothing else needed, not even cash. Don't even bother taking my Drivers License with me, unless it is needed for something like renting a car. I maintain a digital copy of my license on an app called Cardmate (requires me to manually enter a swipe pattern to get in to it, so Touch ID/PIN can't be forced), just in case I get pulled over. As long as a cop can verify your identity, a physical copy of the ID is not required to be on your person.

P.S. I had been wondering about the Loop Pay FOB. I'm guessing you highly recommend it?

Is cardmate in the app store?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Oh. That reminds me of once when I drove my father in his Audi to the pharmacy. When we got there, I let him out at the door so I could go park the car.

So right after he went inside and I started to drive away, a little yellow key warning popped up on the dash, telling me that the fob had left the car!

This was a totally new situation for me. My only thought at the time, was to make sure to NOT accidentally turn off the engine, since I (assume I) had no way to restart it without the fob. :)

I assume it works the same way as the Ford system. You can continue driving the car while the engine is on, howveer you won't be able to turn it back on without the fob somewhere inside the vehicle.

Off topic, but I figured I could answer one of your questions for once. :)

klo6

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Ohio

LOL. It does take some getting used to.

One day, soon after getting the car, it was pouring rain and my husband dropped me off at the door of the grocery and said he'd come back to get me when I walked out. Well he went and parked far away and put the car in park (yes, the car flashed a warning that the fob had left the car...he "wasn't thinking" :rolleyes:). So of course I walked out of the store and was waiting under the overhang thinking "HELLO why aren't you coming to get me?!"... but the car wouldn't shift out of park! :eek: We learned our lesson!

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
If I take everything from my wallet and shove it in my pockets and stop carrying things I need I can be wallet-free, too. I carry a slim wallet that is minimal.

----------

You missed my point. I'm not arguing that i am unsafe carrying acouple twenties. What I am wondering is how on earth I am SAFER carrying that money. "I carry cash for safety". Safety from what? The tax man in disguise?

----------

Where I live there is a gas station on every corner. Most highly populated cities are this way. I've never seen or heard of a situation where every single terminal within a ten mile radius is down. If you live in rural Nebraska, this makes sense to me. Or if you're tabelig somewhere you don't know. But we are discussing every day life here folks. I have zero reason to carry cash with me everywhere I go. Although I suppose a couple crisp bills would be nice if I ran out of toilet paper in a public bathroom, right?

Realistically I don't really care what sort of cash anyone carries. It's amazing to me how people are implying the OP will "learn someday" what happens when you don't carry cash. I'll tell you what. Nothing. The other day Regina's Pizza credit card twrminal was down. I did something that many before me did as well. I walked about 100 yards to the ATM, popped in my card, selected a cash value, and it vended me some cash that I could hand to the pizza man. It was glorious.

In the theoretical "account locked, no service, need gas" scenario I would go into the gas station and ask to use their phone. I should probably also carry a spare blanket, a couple gallons of water, and a week's worth of food in my trunk in case the world goes to ****, but I like living in the edge!

On a much more serious note (I felt I had to say that in case the extremely heavy bits of sarcasm were missed), I've actually been in a situation where the vendor wasn't able to give me change for the $20 I had due to everyone oaying in higher bills. That is totally a possibility as well. I guess the argument is to come armed with singles too, which I suppose is fair. I just had them swipe my card with square though.

Yeah, I leave a $20 bill in my wallet just in case. It's probably been on there for 3 months unused. Credit and debit card all the way.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Did you even read my post? I'm talking about mom and pop vendors at conventions I have been to. They don't orefer cash. I know. Because I go there
It depends, if they are hired workers they couldn't care less. If you are dealing with owners, most small mom and pop shops will always prefer cash. I used to work at a family owned pizza place, and the owners always preferred people who used cash. The fact is the company makes less money when people pay with a card instead of cash.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It depends, if they are hired worked they couldn't care less. If you are dealing with owners, most small mom and pop shops will always prefer cash. I used to work at a family owned pizza place, and the owners always preferred people who used cash. The fact is the company makes less money when people pay with a card instead of cash.

Listen. I'm literally speaking about the conventions I am going to. I'm not talking about a general rule or anything. I was merely giving an example, that I personally know of, where vendors do not want cash and they won't accept it.

I realize that, for many reasons, cash is more convenient for very small business owners. People seem to be caught up on the "mom and pop" aspect of my statement. Obviously I chose the wrong words. But please consider the fact that the pizza place you worked at is not the same thing, by virtue of locations n alone, as a convention where vendors travel, often very long distances.

By the way, the conventions I spoke of there are sales of aqua cultured marine life. They don't want to deal with cash because it is just a giant hassle. Often times the conventions are "out in the middle of nowhere", and bringing and making enough change while worrying about setting up a miniature traveling ecosystem for livestock is just nowhere near the top priority on anyone's list. Compound that with the fact that items sell anywhere from $5-$1000, it's rather obvious how keeping cash change for these transactions is simply not worth the minimal reward.

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Listen. I'm literally speaking about the conventions I am going to. I'm not talking about a general rule or anything. I was merely giving an example, that I personally know of, where vendors do not want cash and they won't accept it.

I realize that, for many reasons, cash is more convenient for very small business owners. People seem to be caught up on the "mom and pop" aspect of my statement. Obviously I chose the wrong words. But please consider the fact that the pizza place you worked at is not the same thing, by virtue of locations n alone, as a convention where vendors travel, often very long distances.

By the way, the conventions I spoke of there are sales of aqua cultured marine life. They don't want to deal with cash because it is just a giant hassle. Often times the conventions are "out in the middle of nowhere", and bringing and making enough change while worrying about setting up a miniature traveling ecosystem for livestock is just nowhere near the top priority on anyone's list. Compound that with the fact that items sell anywhere from $5-$1000, it's rather obvious how keeping cash change for these transactions is simply not worth the minimal reward.
Cash vs credit are not only relevant to mom and pop shops. Why do you think many major gas stations charge more per gallon when using credit?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Cash vs credit are not only relevant to mom and pop shops. Why do you think many major gas stations charge more per gallon when using credit?

Sigh... my point has clearly been lost on you. Let me by more clear; I am not saying you are wrong. I am not arguing that credit is better than cash for everyone. I am simply pointing out an instance that I have experienced where cash would have done nothing for me. That specific case I decided to share happened to be based around mom and pop aquaculturists. Again, I apoligize for using "mom and pop". The phrase itself is irrelevant. The relevance is that I have run into a situation (and continue to) where cards are the only thing accepted by many vendors.

As far as why they charge more for credit, it's because they save money on the transaction in doing so. Converesly, many gas stations give you a discount with a points card. The cheapest gas in my area is obtained through using such a card to pay. The simple reason behind that is because they are able to track my purchases as well as give me "special offers" in hopes of getting me to spend more of my money in the store. I have no qualms about being advertised to to save money on gas, and for me there is literally no benefit, most of the time, in paying with cash.

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Generally the cash and debit price are the same and credit is higher, at the rare stations I see that do this. Debit pretty much equals cash to merchants vs. credit cards.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Generally the cash and debit price are the same and credit is higher, at the rare stations I see that do this. Debit pretty much equals cash to merchants vs. credit cards.

Usually the differences are seen in more rural areas. I do, indeed, see a couple cents difference in some NH towns (where the OP seems to be from). But I am kind of unclear why he is making that point at all (while directly quoting me). I can only assume my intentions and points are being misunderstood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.