Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
The only legit (and sometimes, not even then) use for Installous I know of was installing old versions of apps where the new version for some reason had a function removed.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Typical Macrumors rubbish

There are and always has been bigger and better cracked app stores...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You obviously haven't been listening to me then. Otherwise you would have realized that I never pirated an app.

Google's definition of pirating: Use or reproduce (another's work) for profit without permission, usually in contravention of patent or copyright.

I never profited, never stole money from the developer, and never by my own actions caused the developer to lose money they would have otherwise acquired.

You are downloading apps to use as a trial. You are depriving the developer of money for his effort by downloading these cracked apps. How is this hard to understand?

Either
a- use the free alternative from the get go
b- pay for the app, whether you delete it or not

This is not hard. Your justification of you not profiting simply doesn't hold up. You are profiting by using an app that you would have otherwise had to pay for, for free at the expense of the developer. It doesn't matter that you would delete it and go the free route if you don't like it (then you should do option "a" initially), or end up buying it (then do option "b")

Let's see, do you think downloading music is not piracy? Seeing as you don't profit by your logic (I would argue you do)

Regardless, here is another definition of piracy :One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization. Taken from thefreedictionary.com. Emphasis mine

Last edited:

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I have been JB for 4 years and have never used Installous. Over that 4 years I have no problem spending a few hundred dollars + on Cydia. Hell I spend that in a month on coffee...

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
You are downloading apps to use as a trial. You are depriving the developer of money for his effort by downloading these cracked apps. How is this hard to understand?

Either

This is not hard. Your justification of you not profiting simply doesn't hold up. You are profiting by using an app that you would have otherwise had to pay for, for free at the expense of the developer. It doesn't matter that you would delete it and go the free route if you don't like it (then you should do option "a" initially), or end up buying it (then do option "b")

Let's see, do you think downloading music is not piracy? Seeing as you don't profit by your logic (I would argue you do)

Regardless, here is another definition of piracy :One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization. Taken from thefreedictionary.com. Emphasis mine

or alternatively read the reviews, most punters are quick to criticise most app by saying they are crap and avoid like the plague! I usually do not buy these one...simple really!!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
1. Most peoples reasoning for jailbreaking IS in fact installuous,

2. I believe they think that if they shut down the service, Apple is more likely to kind of "allow" jailbreaking.

3. Now that the most popular thing is shut down it won't steal from their revenue. Aka taking one for the team.

1. Not true in my experience on forums and in real life. Most people go for the tweaks etc.

2. The service was dead, not being used, a ghost town. They were paying money and the servers weren't even being used so they were losing money. Just not worth it. Apple would never allow jailbreaking easily, they believe allowing jailbreaking opens up security risks and they aren't prepared to do that. Not patching app loopholes in the iOS security system is bad, Apple wouldn't leave them open just to let people jailbreak.

3. Honestly, Piraters etc. were actually hated by the mainstream dev team and received no support. Saurik didn't even allow them to be in the default repo's for Cydia, despite Installous being as popular as you claim it to be.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
You obviously haven't been listening to me then. Otherwise you would have realized that I never pirated an app.

Google's definition of pirating: Use or reproduce (another's work) for profit without permission, usually in contravention of patent or copyright.

I never profited, never stole money from the developer, and never by my own actions caused the developer to lose money they would have otherwise acquired.

By that then you mean that after you "tried" the app and decided to continue to use it, you then purchased a license to use it? If you do not have a legitimate license for an app, such as for a free trial period, that could easily be considered piracy. If the app does not have a free trial period license, and you have managed to acquire that app and use it, then again, that is piracy. It's the same thing as taking "Moby Dick" to a copy machine, and making a copy of every page in the volume. That copy is a violation of the copyright for that book, which I don't believe, even after 100 years, is public domain. If it is, then replace Moby Dick with any other piece of copyrighted fiction. The only difference between the two is the ease of copying the item.

Last edited:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

Either

I guarentee you that if a developer found that I pirated their app, and then bought it cause I liked it they would still love me cause I bought their app. Whether I temporarily pirated it or not they still get the same money.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Dukebound is the cracked ipa Internet police:D
You all have to explain and justify to him what why how and when and get his approval if you ever downloaded and installed any illegal apps.
Please continue, he's a saint and you're all thieves:D

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
I guarentee you that if a developer found that I pirated their app, and then bought it cause I liked it they would still love me cause I bought their app. Whether I temporarily pirated it or not they still get the same money.

I bet they would have preferred you had just bought it initially. Now what about those devs whose apps you tried via piracy, didn't like for some reason, and didn't pay?

Dukebound is the cracked ipa Internet police:D
You all have to explain and justify to him what why how and when and get his approval if you ever downloaded and installed any illegal apps.
Please continue, he's a saint and you're all thieves:D
I'm hardly a saint. I have pirated in the past when I was in hs and early part of college in regards to music but I was not ignorant of my misdeeds in the manner and then try to justify my actions being somehow ok or right. I recognized I was pirating, unlike cclloyd.

It is interesting how perspective changes as one gets older and starts to produce goods/services for society.

I find that now, it is simply easier to pay than hassle with trying to screw someone over essentially

Last edited:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
You can't provide feedback on apps unless you have paid for it...

What else can you "weave" to support your misguided noble intentions?

Not weaving support, stating the legitimate reason I had to use it. You're just so against piracy of any kind because you're mad that you paid for an app that you hate that you have to viliainize everyone else for even thinking about Installous.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Not weaving support, stating the legitimate reason I had to use it. You're just so against piracy of any kind because you're mad that you paid for an app that you hate that you have to viliainize everyone else for even thinking about Installous.

Yes, I am against piracy as it hurts developers who need to make a living.

No, I am not mad because I bought an app I hate. I usually read reviews of apps before I buy and in the case I buy one and it is not what I expected, I am out 1-5 bucks usually (who cares).

Your reasons are not legitimate. They are an attempt to justify your piracy to ease your mind.

-----------------------------------

However, please explain to me how you leave reviews for apps you pirate and thus delete to those developers. I am quite curious.

To me, the fact that you can't leave reviews unless you buy removes any credibility you are trying to have as you say you usually do it...yet you can't.

With that falsehood, you expect people to then believe that the apps you do use via piracy, you do actually end up buying? You aren't fooling anyone.

Do what you want. I am trying to explain the errors of your ways to seemingly no effect. I suspect you won't change your tune until you are on the flipside of the coin.

Last edited:

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
I'm hardly a saint. I have pirated in the past when I was in hs and early part of college in regards to music

Amazing what has changed since your college days and start earning a few pennies/bucks to afford a 0.69p/0.99c application

As somebody mentioned - if you can afford the phone then surely you could afford to forego your hard earned salary on an app or two!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I bet they would have preferred you had just bought it initially. Now what about those devs whose apps you tried via piracy, didn't like for some reason, and didn't pay?

I'm hardly a saint. I have pirated in the past when I was in hs and early part of college in regards to music but I was not ignorant of my misdeeds in the manner and then try to justify my actions being somehow ok or right. I recognized I was pirating, unlike cclloyd.

It is interesting how perspective changes as one gets older and starts to produce goods/services for society.

I find that now, it is simply easier to pay than hassle with trying to screw someone over essentially

Keep fighting the good fight sir:D
You're saving one ipa at a time.
Hey btw I just saw some guy ran a stop sign too, you should go lecture him too:D

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but when I had my jailbroken iphone 4 I had an app that I legitimately purchased in the app store. However, an update screwed things up so I downloaded the older version through installous. This was short lived though and another update came out that solved my issues, causing me to return back to the App Store. My questions are:

1. Is there another way I could have gotten an older version of the app on my iphone?
2. Is this a legitimate use of installous?

My other question is regarding apps that have been added into the App Store and then removed due to violating apple's terms in some way or another. I believe sometimes these became available in installous. Assuming the app was originally in the app store for free, is this another legitimate use of installous?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but when I had my jailbroken iphone 4 I had an app that I legitimately purchased in the app store. However, an update screwed things up so I downloaded the older version through installous. This was short lived though and another update came out that solved my issues, causing me to return back to the App Store. My questions are:

1. Is there another way I could have gotten an older version of the app on my iphone?
2. Is this a legitimate use of installous?

My other question is regarding apps that have been added into the App Store and then removed due to violating apple's terms in some way or another. I believe sometimes these became available in installous. Assuming the app was originally in the app store for free, is this another legitimate use of installous?

I wish apple kept a repo of version histories one could download for the app within the appstore and what ios versions are supported.

However my solution to both that case and apps that are removed, is merely backing up the ipas of the apps before I upgrade as I don't jailbreak my devices and that is the only solution for me.

----------

Keep fighting the good fight sir:D
You're saving one ipa at a time.
Hey btw I just saw some guy ran a stop sign too, you should go lecture him too:D

Point me his direction lol

Though I am pretty sure you don't condone piracy yourself from what I have seen of you on these forums;)

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
The only legit (and sometimes, not even then) use for Installous I know of was installing old versions of apps where the new version for some reason had a function removed.

and even then you can get the old version from Itunes (or at least the last one before you updated)

providing you install it via wifi

i'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing anyone who has it installed on their device doesn't use it!

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Most people jailbreak simply for small springboard mods, or bitesms, or even custom sounds... I had installous and I never reall saw any point in saving a few bucks a year... So I deleted it...

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Forgot to post this at the beginning :p

Of course there was an ulterior motive for it shutting down. Their forums were merely support, and after Installous 5 was released, it was basically bug free and straight forward, so nobody needed support, so of course the forums would've died.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Because if the device is jailbroken, the end user can simply copy the in-app purchased content as well? Also, i believe the app store T&C has limitations on in-app purchased content - to stop people setting up their own store, bypassing the official iOS app store.

The IAP Free app or whatever doesn't work if the App checks the Apple Servers.

But, are you saying In-App purchases, Apple doesn't get a share of?

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
The main reason for root access on Android is to install custom ROMs. The main reason for root access/jailbreak on iOS is pirated apps. By main, I mean 50%+ of people who do such things.

Apple won't allow jailbreaks. Ever.

because you dont need to root to pirate stuff on android.. if not.. the same would be said about android and rooting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.