Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
This bending is getting hilarious. More and more bent phones are popping up, yet some folks on this forum still refuse to believe that this is actually happening:D

cdaq

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Most likely due to a force that exceeded the structural capacity of the iPhone.

This. The $1000000 question though is what is the force the 6 can withstand and how does that compare with other smart phones. Getting gladder by the bent thread that I didn't pull the trigger on a new iphone.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
At first, I thought it was all propaganda and played up... but it seems as if the iPhone 6/6 Plus really do have a structural fault that causes the phones to bend easier than they should.

Knowing Apple they won't accept fault for this, but something has to be done because I know what it's like to baby a phone, and I would be beyond livid if my 6 Plus bent.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
This bending is getting hilarious. More and more bent phones are popping up, yet some folks on this forum still refuse to believe that this is actually happening:D

There is no doubt that some phones are bending. But the real question is if it is a design flaw or a bad batch. I don't know. People buy new tires for their cars every day. Some of the tires don't sit on the rims correctly. Doesn't mean that brand of tire is defective or are poorly designed. Most likely, you were one of the unlucky ones that got a bad tire.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
There is no doubt that some phones are bending. But the real question is if it is a design flaw or a bad batch. I don't know. People buy new tires for their cars every day. Some of the tires don't sit on the rims correctly. Doesn't mean that brand of tire is defective or are poorly designed. Most likely, you were one of the unlucky ones that got a bad tire.

maybe it was the late design change from sapphire to ion exchange glass that caused a mis-step in the design.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
At first, I thought it was all propaganda and played up... but it seems as if the iPhone 6/6 Plus really do have a structural fault that causes the phones to bend easier than they should.

Knowing Apple they won't accept fault for this, but something has to be done because I know what it's like to baby a phone, and I would be beyond livid if my 6 Plus bent.

We don't have to generalize like that yet... there is no proof that every phone has a structural issue.

I have had my phone since 9/25. I have had it in my front pocket of jeans and slacks. Sat in all kinds of places with it in my pocket, and it still feels sturdy. There is no bend. I don't weary skinny jeans and my phone has never been in my back pocket (have never understood the desire to stick a phone in your back pocket...). My phone sits snugly in an Incipio Dual Pro case... which I have removed several times for cleaning and while doing so, making sure it is still straight.

It may be a select number of phones that have this issue... something QC missed in the Aluminum...

Just because there is a small number of people coming out with bent phones doesn't mean everyone will have a problem with them. It also doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with a small number of phones and they need to "learn to take care of a $XXX device"...

cdaq

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
It also doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with a small number of phones and they need to "learn to take care of a $XXX device"...

lmao, blame it on the consumers. I think one thing is certain, the iphone 6s can withstand less force than other phones in the same class. That and you paid $XXX more for the iphone and it appears to have less structural integrity.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
lmao, blame it on the consumers. I think one thing is certain, the iphone 6s can withstand less force than other phones in the same class. That and you paid $XXX more for the iphone and it appears to have less structural integrity.

Did you read anything I wrote?

I've been on here supporting the idea that there might be an issue with (some?) bending from the beginning...

cdaq

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Did you read anything I wrote?

I've been on here supporting the idea that there might be an issue with (some?) bending from the beginning...

I'm sorry did I misunderstand the part of your statement that I quoted? And there MIGHT be a problem? GTFO! There is absolutely a problem. The only question is how widespread.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Eek. Yeah don't try to bend it back - or in a few months of metal fatigue we'll be getting reports of #snapgate :p

I think the best thing is to just not look. I don't know if mine has gained a slight bend or not, simply because I'm not inspecting it all the time - I bunged it in the official case and forgot about it. Shame to see this happening with normal 6's though - thought it was only the Plus.

Next time they should just make it it out of stainless steel. Or how easily does titanium bend?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

Very true!! But these are not tires! the iPhone already comes mounted in a frame. If the display is not mounted on the device properly, the only one to blame is apple. With tires you have 2 other modes of failure, bad rims and bad installation. If goodyears sells tires already on rims they would be responsible for the tire, for the rims and putting the tires on the rim.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
It may be a select number of phones that have this issue... something QC missed in the Aluminum...

This is exactly what I think it is and because Apple can't determine the exact phones for then to publicly address the issue they would have complete chaos on there hands. Everyone would be coming in saying there phone is bent and you would have Genius's putting a straight edge of every phone. If I had to guess i bet Apple has release an internal policy or something like that allowing customers to trade in their bent phone as a way to get defective phones out of circulation and try to sweep this under the rug as quietly as possible.

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I'm past the 14 day return window. Thankfully I got Squaretrade but I'm hoping apple will just swap it for me. I'm headed to the store after lunch.

I've never had a squaretrade warranty. Is it specific to the serial number of you phone? If you get a refurbed unit, does the squaretrade warranty transfer to the replacement unit?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Very true!! But these are not tires! the iPhone already comes mounted in a frame. If the display is not mounted on the device properly, the only one to blame is apple. With tires you have 2 other modes of failure, bad rims and bad installation. If goodyears sells tires already on rims they would be responsible for the tire, for the rims and putting the tires on the rim.

You analogy is good. Again, we don't know if it's a design flaw or a bad batch. About 2 year ago, I replaced my hot water heater. It had a 10 year warranty. It went bad in 2 months. Got it replaced for free with the same model. 20 months later, still working fine. Was it a design flaw or just a defective water heater? I can go online and find customers talking about defective products they purchased. Washing machines, tv's, furnaces, cars, etc. Just google your favorite appliance that you think is excellent, and you will find a lot of complaints.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
If I had to guess i bet Apple has release an internal policy or something like that allowing customers to trade in their bent phone as a way to get defective phones out of circulation and try to sweep this under the rug as quietly as possible.

What I find disturbing is that Apple seems to be inconsistent on whether they will replace the bent phones or not. Some are reporting that they are being replaced without question while others are reporting that they are being told that the phone will not be replaced. Unfortunately we don't know the circumstances that bent these phones or how/why Apple Geniuses have determined they can or can't be replaced.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012

No, we're refusing to believe they simply bent from leaving it in their pocket.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
You analogy is good. Again, we don't know if it's a design flaw or a bad batch. About 2 year ago, I replaced my hot water heater. It had a 10 year warranty. It went bad in 2 months. Got it replaced for free with the same model. 20 months later, still working fine. Was it a design flaw or just a defective water heater? I can go online and find customers talking about defective products they purchased. Washing machines, tv's, furnaces, cars, etc. Just google your favorite appliance that you think is excellent, and you will find a lot of complaints.

This could be a bad batch, but IMO don't think so. The new iPhones are designed in a way that they are resistant to bending forces than the previous iPhones and current smartphones. This is not debatable its a fact, tested with qualitative and quantitative measurements. They question is, what is the minimum acceptable design integrity. Some phone or products in general are over engineered and will last a lifetime with normal use and even a limited amount of abuse. I

If the iPhone 6 bent with 5 lbs of force I think even the most hardcore apple defenders would complain. With all smartphones we are coming to a point were we need to define normal use and what is abuse. At the same time the consumers must also make a choice if they are willing to give up the flexibility of an over engineered phone.

I would love to see a bend test of the Galaxy Alpha and see how that holds up, Im sure it will be similar to the iPhone 6. If someone gave me a iPhone 6 or Alpha. the first thing I would do it put the phone in a reinforcing case.

betterthanhalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Quick Update. As always, I had a great experience with Apple customer service. And it's one of the reasons why I buy Apple products. They replaced my phone no questions asked. I didn't have to convince them or anything.

Hopefully everyone that has this problem can get their phones replaced.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
This could be a bad batch, but IMO don't think so. The new iPhones are designed in a way that they are resistant to bending forces than the previous iPhones and current smartphones. This is not debatable its a fact, tested with qualitative and quantitative measurements. They question is, what is the minimum acceptable design integrity. Some phone or products in general are over engineered and will last a lifetime with normal use and even a limited amount of abuse. I

If the iPhone 6 bent with 5 lbs of force I think even the most hardcore apple defenders would complain. With all smartphones we are coming to a point were we need to define normal use and what is abuse. At the same time the consumers must also make a choice if they are willing to give up the flexibility of an over engineered phone.

I would love to see a bend test of the Galaxy Alpha and see how that holds up, Im sure it will be similar to the iPhone 6. If someone gave me a iPhone 6 or Alpha. the first thing I would do it put the phone in a reinforcing case.

Almost all, if not all the bend occur off center. All 'scientific' testing aka consumer reports have tested the bending issue at the center of the phone.

What they need to do is test it off center.

betterthanhalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I've never had a squaretrade warranty. Is it specific to the serial number of you phone? If you get a refurbed unit, does the squaretrade warranty transfer to the replacement unit?

No squaretrade is not tied to serial number. Only to the proof of purchase/receipt.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Almost all, if not all the bend occur off center. All 'scientific' testing aka consumer reports have tested the bending issue at the center of the phone.

That is correct, better testing and better studies of reasonable use are required to answer to answer bendgate.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
What an odd thing. I have read a ton of these bend threads, and my honest opinion is, there was/is definitely a faulty batch of iPhones out there.
Apple really needs to step up and figure out what the problem is.
NO one wants to pay this amount for a phone, and have to worry about the thing bending in the least!
No one should have to baby their device. I don't mean abuse it, but good Lord! When I get mine on Friday, I am going to be afraid to slide it it in my purse and let it accidentally hit or touch anything in there.

I am pretty sure :apple: has'nt assembled mine yet; but they had better knock it straight & sturdy or else....#

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Off center testing isn't required. All the necessary data was acquired by the center test. This was supported by subsequent off center testing that confirmed CS extrapolations of the amount of force required to bend the case at the weakest point.

----------

Quick Update. As always, I had a great experience with Apple customer service. And it's one of the reasons why I buy Apple products. They replaced my phone no questions asked. I didn't have to convince them or anything.

Hopefully everyone that has this problem can get their phones replaced.

Good deal. Glad Apple handled it for you. I'm still curious about how you bent it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.