Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
the real issue here is instead of hard snap on cases like the Candyshell maybe slider cases would be more prudent with the iPhone 6's and 6+'s...

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
So you expect someone to monitor their phone 24/7? Sometimes cause isn't apparent. I'm sure for example that we've all gotten flat tires without there being any obvious debris on the road

you're really comparing flat tires which people hardly look a them and there's two of them on each side of the car (you don't go around the car every day do you?) with a phone which you look at it every 10 mins??

LOL

----------

This bending is getting hilarious. More and more bent phones are popping up, yet some folks on this forum still refuse to believe that this is actually happening:D

nope.

everything bends.....nobody on here is saying the iPhone doesn't bend....that would be a dumb thing to say.

even the Note 4 bends....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIu-GcX5aM

everyone that owns a flawless iPhone and knows how sturdy it feels is amazed about how are these phones bending in pockets by magic.

nobody that actually owns an iPhone 6 believes that "story".....

----------

the phone bends itself.

If we take for instance that the CNC milling & unibody aluminum design do not warp or place any type or torsional pressure on the phone and the GG screen similarly does not, what's clear is that the torsional resistance lies in how the internals are affixed into the unibody design.

There are too many screws, too many redundancies built into how the phone is actually built.

The problem lies in the fact that you cannot simply scale, as you continually increase the physical dimensions of the phone, your internal designs along with those dimensions. You have to design internals for that specific footprint.

For all intents and purposes the iphone 6 interally masquerades as a scaled up iphone 5. Look at the teardowns, everything you need to know about why the phone bends itself is right there. It has nothing to do with the fact that the phone is thinner. It's that apple saved money on R&D by taking what they know works (iphone 5) and putting all of that into a bigger unibody.

and when we thought we had heard it all.... LOL :D

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
you're really comparing flat tires which people hardly look a them and there's two of them on each side of the car (you don't go around the car every day do you?) with a phone which you look at it every 10 mins??

LOL

You're way off base... not everyone is obsessive about a phone. Some people it's just a phone.

I've had lots of phones that I've damaged to some extent that didn't affect operation, and never knew how it happened. None of them bent.. that's a ridiculous problem for a phone to be having. But, I've chipped them, scratched them, had the little charge port flap come off, etc. And, never known until sometime later that there was an issue.

If I can pull it out of my pocket and hit the answer button when it rings, that's as much attention as I pay to it. Even with my iPhone, I don't bother looking at it and trying to figure out if it's got a new imperfection.

On my iPhone 5, I'm on like my 5th case... I've had several cases break in some way. And, I really didn't notice or care until the case happened to fall apart in my hand. I couldn't tell you how long ago prior to that it had been coming apart, or losing pieces of the edging that went around the body of the phone.

Some of us see things as a tool... If it works, that's as much attention as we pay to it. When it doesn't work, or something happens to catch our attention, then maybe we take a closer look.

My Android phone case suffered similar fates... only with that one, I just used scotch tape and taped it back together around the phone. Sometime later, the case came apart again. I can tell you I really didn't notice or care when the tape ripped... when the case fell apart in my hand again, I taped it closed again.

It is completely possible to use something every day, and not notice defects until for some reason you happen to catch a glance of it at a point when you're less distracted.

And, you know what, for all of the careless things I've done with my phones, none have bent so far... And, I've had phones from everyone over the years. And, I am not gentle on them. But, I'm steering clear of the iPhone 6... it clearly would never survive me.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
This bending is getting hilarious. More and more bent phones are popping up, yet some folks on this forum still refuse to believe that this is actually happening:D

+1, lol!

Mine is straight as a precision steel straight edge ruler but for the first time ever in owning an iPhone, I am ordering Applecare + tomorrow. 3-4 months from now we will have a much better idea how widespread this is and if it is a batch problem or a design problem.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Yep, they'll go kicking and whining to the end, insisting that the phone doesn't bend.... until.... one day obsessive defender who analyzes his Apple products daily takes a glance at his phone and says "oh ^%#$" my phone's bent... I can not deal with this, I need perfection, I cannot handle the slightest bit of dust on my Apple stuff, there's no way I can handle this. I'm headed straight to an Apple Store and insisting that I didn't do anything really, it was sitting on my table and was bent when I picked it up. Then, if he swallows his pride enough to come here and admit his phone is bent, his buddies all jump on him and insist that he's a liar and now he finally learns...

You can blindly follow the pack and spew the propaganda, that doesn't mean you have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

iPhone 6 and 6+ obviously have a bending issue. Otherwise Apple wouldn't be taking them back for said bending issue. A company that wouldn't even take back original MacBook Pro machines that arrived with panels coming apart at the seams, is taking back bent phones... yeah, they know it's a problem.

Notice that in all of the examples Apple provided of alleged testing they did, that nowhere did they say that the phone's survived the testing. They just said that they put some through this testing.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

LOL

I actually do check my car much more thoroughly than I do my phone. We all have different usage patterns

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I actually do check my car much more thoroughly than I do my phone. We all have different usage patterns

Yeah, me too... Difference is, I use my phone, it's in my pocket, or in my hand... no one randomly has access to my phone.

Now a car, there's all kinds of things... parking lots, nails on the road, is that puddle on the ground from my car, or was it there before I parked... etc.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yikes. I feared that more user incidents of bending would occur. Sorry about the bend. Apple owes people new phones for people who had theirs bent on normal cases. The quality control on these phones seem atrocious.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yikes. I feared that more user incidents of bending would occur. Sorry about the bend. Apple owes people new phones for people who had theirs bent on normal cases. The quality control on these phones seem atrocious.

This will likely go the way of the Antenna issue before it's done. Apple denied it was an issue, then later sent everyone a little rubber band to put around their phones to minimize the problem. Deny is always Apple's first move, then later finally concede that there's a problem.

Anyone remember the fire computers? Or, how about the iMac G5 that Apple insisted had no issues, then finally started replacing mid plane after mid plane, and then finally admitted that it needed more than that, and everyone went through another round... Then, after the whole midplane issue was resolved, Apple refused to acknowledge the anomalies that were caused by bad capacitors, only to eventually come around and admit that everyone needed to send in their midplanes again for due to the capacitor issues. Deny, Deny, Deny, then after enough machines have been discarded as garbage, Apple finally says, oh yeah, we will fix that now that there's only half of them remaining.

In time, down the road, Apple will concede that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have issues... what their fix will be, who knows... but eventually they'll come around like they always do. They just never admit anything for the first several months.

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I've also noticed all the bent iphones are from users who put them in a case.

Take that for what its worth.

I was thinking this exact same thing myself. Could the repeated force used to remove the phone from the case cause it to bend over time? I don't use a case myself so I'm not sure how much effort/force is required to remove the phone from a case.

I keep mine caseless (just a BSE rear skin and screen protector) in my front jeans/trouser pockets when not in use, including sitting etc. Touch wood, so far mine seems to be straight (iPhone 6).

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I was thinking this exact same thing myself. Could the repeated force used to remove the phone from the case cause it to bend over time? I don't use a case myself so I'm not sure how much effort/force is required to remove the phone from a case.

I keep mine caseless (just a BSE rear skin and screen protector) in my front jeans/trouser pockets when not in use, including sitting etc. Touch wood, so far mine seems to be straight (iPhone 6).

That is an interesting thought... not sure about all cases... but the one's I've used have been very simple to remove without applying pressure to the phone. But, then my cases also tend to have some flex in them that allows me to give a slight pull to one side of the frame of the case and it disengages the teeth that hold the two halves of the case together.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
This will likely go the way of the Antenna issue before it's done. Apple denied it was an issue, then later sent everyone a little rubber band to put around their phones to minimize the problem. Deny is always Apple's first move, then later finally concede that there's a problem.

Anyone remember the fire computers? Or, how about the iMac G5 that Apple insisted had no issues, then finally started replacing mid plane after mid plane, and then finally admitted that it needed more than that, and everyone went through another round... Then, after the whole midplane issue was resolved, Apple refused to acknowledge the anomalies that were caused by bad capacitors, only to eventually come around and admit that everyone needed to send in their midplanes again for due to the capacitor issues. Deny, Deny, Deny, then after enough machines have been discarded as garbage, Apple finally says, oh yeah, we will fix that now that there's only half of them remaining.

In time, down the road, Apple will concede that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have issues... what their fix will be, who knows... but eventually they'll come around like they always do. They just never admit anything for the first several months.

True story. The same happened with the battery issue in the iPhone 5. I had a friend that ended up buying a Moto X because she was tired of going to the App store and they telling her there was no problem with her phone when now it qualifies for a battery replacement, but now she doesn't care any more because she went Android

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009

If you're Hulk maybe you'll put enough force while changing case otherwise it's absolutely impossible

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
The fact that people are theorizing that a case removal and put on is reflecting the phones' ability to bend says a lot about these phones. I love my iPhone 6, but man, we will look back at these in a year's time and see that they had a lot of issues.

zathus

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
The fact that people are theorizing that a case removal and put on is reflecting the phones' ability to bend says a lot about these phones. I love my iPhone 6, but man, we will look back at these in a year's time and see that they had a lot of issues.
That's gonna be the real test. A year from now Will it be a dropped subject only talked about due to hype. Or a class action lawsuit lol. As much as I despise Apple as a company for their ethics. I hope the phone does well! Competition breeds innovation!

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014

I'm planning to take my 6 back tomorrow. Maybe before I do I'll try to use my wife's 6 plus to do a slow motion video of me taking it out of the commuter case. It certainly looked like it deformed a little when I removed it the last time although it went back to normal afterwards. If you look at the design of the commuter the part that holds the phone into the hardshell when you're trying to remove it is just below the volume controls too.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Are we still wasting time on this?

Let it go. If there is a 'bending issue' it will be easily proven and we will not have to rely on anonymous people claiming the phone bent magically.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.