Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
commonpeople said:
I love Futurama and hate Zoidberg. People seem to have very strong feelings on Zoidberg. Put me in the 'no' camp.

Simpsons was funny- like 20 years ago.

South Park is variable- but when it's good- it can be the best satire appearing on US television. It appears crude- but once you get past the scatalogical humor- it is on occasion very sophisticated.

Family Guy obviously owes a huge debt to the Simpsons. It has its moments- but there's no depth to its comedy (as pointed out recently on South Park).

Captain Caveman- now there was a show.

I'd venture to say Futurama is funnier than the Simpsons, especially newer Simpsons. Also, I used to hate Zoidberg, but he won me over :) I think he's one of the funniest characters on the show! Him and Zapp Brannigan...who couldn't laugh at that guy?

"Leela, does the company that makes your sports-bra also make a girdle? I ask because a "friend" of mine..." lol

South Park is just annoying now. With the exception of the last new show to air (the one with Cartman's mom parading him around outside on a leash, easily the funniest episode to air in the last year or so), the new seasons of South Park have been awful. Every episode is just a soapbox for Matt and Trey to express their obnoxious political views.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
MattG said:
I'd venture to say Futurama is funnier than the Simpsons, especially newer Simpsons. Also, I used to hate Zoidberg, but he won me over :) I think he's one of the funniest characters on the show! Him and Zapp Brannigan...who couldn't laugh at that guy?

"Leela, does the company that makes your sports-bra also make a girdle? I ask because a "friend" of mine..." lol

South Park is just annoying now. With the exception of the last new show to air (the one with Cartman's mom parading him around outside on a leash, easily the funniest episode to air in the last year or so), the new seasons of South Park have been awful. Every episode is just a soapbox for Matt and Trey to express their obnoxious political views.

See I guess thats the key thing with South Park. I love it but then again I love the political points they make. It's still quite clever if you can ignore the purile stuff.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
MattG said:

C'mon- don't dis South Park. They did take on Scientology and Mormonism. I'm left wing enough to have been a character in their San Francisco Smug episode- but Matt and Trey have shown quite some bravery in their satire. I don't agree with them on everything, but I do respect what they've been trying to do.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
commonpeople said:
C'mon- don't dis South Park. They did take on Scientology and Mormonism. I'm left wing enough to have been a character in their San Francisco Smug episode- but Matt and Trey have shown quite some bravery in their satire. I don't agree with them on everything, but I do respect what they've been trying to do.

I'll take it back once they do an episode lambasting Rush Limbaugh, President Bush, Tom Delay, or any one of the slew of other conservatives that have gotten away with murder in the past few years :)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Futurama is awesome. The sci-fi aspect of the storyline really makes the show. These adventures they takes can't be compared to any other show. Going to Mars for college (Wonton Burrito Meals :D ), Getting captured by some Star Trek Crazes being (I don't even like Star Trek), and last night they had Leela's "home planet". The whole refrence to Married with Children is genius IMO. The stories are so much more enjoyable.

I also find Zoidberg to be the least funny character. I used to dislike him, but I accept him. He's funny at times, but doesn't have the "depth" like the others. His humor is more of a crazy random thing. I love everything about the show though. It's awesome.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
MattG said:
I'll take it back once they do an episode lambasting Rush Limbaugh, President Bush, Tom Delay, or any one of the slew of other conservatives that have gotten away with murder in the past few years :)

They did do a whole series called 'That's my Bush'.

In general though- I think they're experts at pointing out the ridiculousness of some left-wing do-gooders and it's really not their obligation to be equal opportunity offenders with respect to their targets. Jon Stewart for instance is strongest when attacking hypocrisy on the right- and much weaker at pointing out flaws on the left.

The recent episode on 'smug' pollution is a good case in point. Matt and Trey were absolutely right to point out that people buying Prius's are mostly doing it for their own self-satisfaction and not out of a particularly deep concern for the environment. If those drivers really cared about the environment- they should be taking fewer trips and using more public transport- not buying yet more expensive cars. It would be hard to imagine Stewart being as effective in making these points.

I did however dislike the Al Gore parody. I completely disagreed with that one- but again, I respect that Matt and Trey don't always go for the popular targets.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
God I love that show...I wish it would come back, but from the way it looks here, it wouldn't have a whole lot of support. :p

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
OutThere said:
God I love that show...I wish it would come back, but from the way it looks here, it wouldn't have a whole lot of support. :p

It's funny because on most other forums I hang out at, nearly everybody loves this show. Maybe it's a Mac thing :confused:

They are working on a Futurama movie you know...

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
commonpeople said:
I love Futurama and hate Zoidberg. People seem to have very strong feelings on Zoidberg. Put me in the 'no' camp.

Simpsons was funny- like 20 years ago.

South Park is variable- but when it's good- it can be the best satire appearing on US television. It appears crude- but once you get past the scatalogical humor- it is on occasion very sophisticated.

Family Guy obviously owes a huge debt to the Simpsons. It has its moments- but there's no depth to its comedy (as pointed out recently on South Park).

Captain Caveman- now there was a show.
Of that post there are only 2 bits with which I disagree.
1. The Captain Caveman remark (which, for that sake of all that is holy, I hope was a joke;))
2. Zoidberg - he is an asset to the show, the perfect throwaway moment/line stooge, but I concede that if pushed too far the character did not work (as in the episode That's Lobstertainment)

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Savage Henry said:
Of that post there are only 2 bits with which I disagree.
1. The Captain Caveman remark (which, for that sake of all that is holy, I hope was a joke;))
2. Zoidberg - he is an asset to the show, the perfect throwaway moment/line stooge, but if pushed too far the character did not work (as in the episode That's Lobstertainment)

Oh- and don't forget Hong Kong Phooey or The Banana Splits!

Tra la la, tra la la tra la la....

(Now you'll have that song playing in your head all day.)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
attention.gif

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I only watch futurama because family guy use to be right after it and i was too lazy to be surfing through chanels for 30minutes.....the jokes on this show are very dry but they have there moments.

Bless

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
yellow said:
This is how I feel about Seinfeld. It was never funny.

Ahh, thank you. I felt like the only one who didn't really like Seinfeld. :eek:

Futurama? I haven't really given it a chance. I have to say though, the few episodes I've seen (including one just tonight) haven't really grabbed me. :(

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
max_altitude said:
You can add me to anti-Seinfeld club too. All of my friends thought it was hilarious, which was something I could never quite understand.

Blasphemers, the lot of you!

Seinfeld is subversive humor. When I first watched it I thought it came off as yet another cheesy US sitcom. It really took me a while to get its genius. Here's a clue- Seinfeld himself is not that funny. Don't focus too much on the star character.

George is perhaps the best written character in modern sitcomdom. He's my personal hero.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I like the Simpsons and Futurama. It could be that I get the references that they make to other shows and I basically grew up watching them. Family Guy gave me a few laughs and smirks but I just can not get into it. I think that the family is just way to stupid.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
commonpeople said:
Blasphemers, the lot of you!

Seinfeld is subversive humor. When I first watched it I thought it came off as yet another cheesy US sitcom. It really took me a while to get its genius. Here's a clue- Seinfeld himself is not that funny. Don't focus too much on the star character.

George is perhaps the best written character in modern sitcomdom. He's my personal hero.

Definitely agree there...he's the least funny character on the show. To me a lot of what made the show so great wasn't even the main characters so much as the side characters. I love those two thugs that were always picking on Kramer. "WHO doesn't want to wear the ribbon?" lol

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
The worst elements about Seinfeld were the studio-based sets, the guitar riffs that accompanied obviously false exterior tracking shots to tie scenes together and the laughter track. But that could apply to practically all comedies in the 90s.

Larry David took the strongest ingredients and successfully turned them into 'Curb...' . To me Groening did the same by taking all the best elements of Simpsons (including David S/X Cohen) and produce a far tidier piece of work right off the bat.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
yellow said:
This is how I feel about Seinfeld. It was never funny.

Seinfeld was the best! I think George was probably the best sitcom character ever written. He was hilarious!

Anyway, I also don't get all the hype about Furutama. I'll watch it occasionally but I'll never actually laugh out loud at it. It's just not that funny.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Savage Henry said:
The worst elements about Seinfeld were the studio-based sets, the guitar riffs that accompanied obviously false exterior tracking shots to tie scenes together and the laughter track. But that could apply to practically all comedies in the 90s.

Larry David took the strongest ingredients and successfully turned them into 'Curb...' . To me Groening did the same by taking all the best elements of Simpsons (including David S/X Cohen) and produce a far tider piece of work right off the bat.

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. I still miss J. Peterman though. I only found out recently that J. Peterman is a real catalogue company- and the actor who played Peterman now sits on its board of directors.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
commonpeople said:
I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. I still miss J. Peterman though. I only found out recently that J. Peterman is a real catalogue company- and the actor who played Peterman now sits on its board of directors.

Does he really?? That's funny.

Okay so who's with me on thinking that the last episode of Curb wasn't that funny? There were only a couple episodes that I really liked.

I'd have to say my favorite seasons were 2 and 3. "Chet's Shirt," "Thor" and "The Grand Opening" rank up there as my favorite episodes.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Actually, I read that J Peterman went out of business entirely.

dynamicv said:
Maybe, but the OP and others here are Australian. Their sense of humour is normally very similar to the UK one.
I'm actually Canadian, but I hear Australians and Canadians have a similar sense of humour. Americans are actually the ones who have a slightly different sense of humour. It possibly is related to how we see the world. The jokes, especially the ones with a little "more" behind them, are taken differently based on how people see things.

EDIT TO ADD: Seinfeld was teh bomb s***.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
MattG said:
Okay so who's with me on thinking that the last episode of Curb wasn't that funny? There were only a couple episodes that I really liked.
I've yet to see the final series (I've moved to a location that doesn't get a digital TV signal ... and I'm on a strict DVD purchase embargo) but from what I hear the last ep was a bit of a damp squib, I wasn't big on Seinfeld's last ep either.

In fact to counterbalance all those weak efforts in all 'final ever' episodes from TV series thus far, I hope at least that if the Futurama films ever see the light of day they will at least tie the franchise up into a nice clean finish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.