Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I hate paying all his money to have a beautiful phone (ip6) only to shove it in a plastic bulky case that makes it just look ugly and fill up my pocket!
anyone else?
i kept my ip4 without a case for 2 years and was fine, my ip5 seemed to break real easy at any drop and that's put me off carrying the 6 without a case.
just feels so much nicer without but i am scared to death to have it out in the open where i could drop and damage it!

also screen protectors, are they really needed? are these screens likely to scratch as i doubt they stop them cracking when dropped?
should really come with a proper protector pre-installed on the phones (no bubbles or dust!)
rant over

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
also screen protectors, are they really needed?

There's a list of increasing threads in the iPhone forum about the iPhone 6 getting scratched.

The last time I went w/o a screen protector, my oleophobic coating wore off in a couple of high usage portions of the screen. Since then I use the screen protector to keep everything looking great.

I also use a case to keep the phone in pristine condition, though admittedly its adding more mass to an already large phone.

Perhaps its my perception, but the IP6 seems more prone to scratches and nicks on both the front and back, so wearing some protection will keep my phone in pristine condition

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I hate paying all his money to have a beautiful phone (ip6) only to shove it in a plastic bulky case that makes it just look ugly and fill up my pocket!
anyone else?
i kept my ip4 without a case for 2 years and was fine, my ip5 seemed to break real easy at any drop and that's put me off carrying the 6 without a case.
just feels so much nicer without but i am scared to death to have it out in the open where i could drop and damage it!

also screen protectors, are they really needed? are these screens likely to scratch as i doubt they stop them cracking when dropped?
should really come with a proper protector pre-installed on the phones (no bubbles or dust!)
rant over

It all really depends on the person and what they want. Yes the screens scratch. No you don't NEED a screen protector or a case for that matter. If you are okay with fine scratches on your screen or a possible nick or scratch on your phone than don't worry about a case or screen protector. If you do care than get one. It's that easy. This discussion is in MANY threads and the argument is ALWAYS the same. Just do what makes you happy.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah, I bought the Apple Leather case originally. Didn't like it, too bulky. Bought the silicone. Didn't like it, too bulky. Bought the Spigen Thin Fit and Air Fit yesterday. Air fit didn't eliminate the camera lens bulge which defeated the point of a case to me (case was too thin). Tried on the thin fit. Loved it. 12 hours later, removed it. Even that made my phone too bulky. Using the iphone with no case really lets you appreciate the design evolution (at least thickness wise) from the 5/5s.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Yeah, I bought the Apple Leather case originally. Didn't like it, too bulky. Bought the silicone. Didn't like it, too bulky. Bought the Spigen Thin Fit and Air Fit yesterday. Air fit didn't eliminate the camera lens bulge which defeated the point of a case to me (case was too thin). Tried on the thin fit. Loved it. 12 hours later, removed it. Even that made my phone too bulky. Using the iphone with no case really lets you appreciate the design evolution (at least thickness wise) from the 5/5s.

.....how about using a pouch then?!

I would use my 6 without a case if it wasn't for the stupid protruding camera on the back - which really wasn't necessary!!!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would use my 6 without a case if it wasn't for the stupid protruding camera on the back - which really wasn't necessary!!!
That's another good point, the case makes the IP6 flat - stupid thin design. So now it at least sits flat on my desk.

foreplay

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012

I don't get this argument

Considering the camera buldge, antenna exposure, apple selling cases...

it is obvious to me apple designed the 6 with the expectation they will be used in a case

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I don't get this argument

Considering the camera buldge, antenna exposure, apple selling cases...

it is obvious to me apple designed the 6 with the expectation they will be used in a case

I never used a case for any of the prior iphones. Reason why was because the back was flush. Issue with the 6 is of course the bulge, when i place it down on a table with no regard, I feel as though alot of pressure/focus is landing on the camera lens.

With that being said, I realized its a phone and its best to just use it as is. If I lose 100-200 more than what I couldve gotten come next year so be it.

Also, apple released cases for the 5/5s as well even though the back was flush. Im fairly sure they release cases because they know people would probably purchase a case that is from them instead of a third party.

----------

.....how about using a pouch then?!

Pouch I cant do as it seems more work to take the phone out of your pocket THEN pulling it out the pouch. You turn a one step process into two. Im sure at first its not a big deal but it might bother me in the long run.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I've invested in at least four cases and this was before getting my 6 Plus! The UAG Maverick case was the keeper for me as it adds protection and is not too bulky.

The reason why I have a case is because I drop **** and having some protection from this is a requirement. Another reason for me getting a case and screen protector is I want my phone in pristine shape when it's time to dump it for a future iPhone.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
anyone else?

rant over

That's why I use a bumper from Spigen. For me I hardly notice it and I get to look at the beauty of the phone and not a plastic back. Of course, it covers the sides so you don't get to feel the phone as much, but the front and back are completely unobstructed. Although I use a glossy BestSkinsEver screen protector as well as a matte back protector (just to help with scratches).

Also, it gives drop protection on the sides. I'll just have to be careful so the back doesn't get ruined by hitting a rock or something.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
OP is so special and unique for hating cases. Nobody "gets" him.. so brooding.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
OP is so special and unique for hating cases. Nobody "gets" him.. so brooding.

lol
careful you don't drop your phone mate.. Damn slippery these cases ;)

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I'm a person who uses a case on my 6 Plus. I am amused though, when I am out and I see people with their phones. The majority of people with iPhones appear to have a case on them, while the majority of those with other devices have no cases. Have we been brainwashed? :D

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010

It's obvious to me Apple designed the 6 to not be used in a case. Spend a few hours using it naked and the curved edges will convince you of this. Any sharp edge contradicts this design element. Sad thing is, tons of users stuffed their phones in plastic bricks within minutes of ownership and will never experience it.

Yes, Apple sells first party cases. Yes, Apple exists to make money. They aren't going to spite themselves or their shareholders.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
I only use cases. I just don't use the phone. I don't get this love for the phone. It's all heavy, and warm, and is always beeping at me. Plus it costs a lot of money up front, and they want money every month? No thanks!

I finally got rid of the phone, and now just use cases. Couldn't be happier.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I agree
I don't like the idea of buying a phone and having to buy a case for it. And if you take the phone out of the case, you feel so frightened of dropping it or something. And these annoying cases just get in the way of things.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Can confirm that a screen protector is needed, got a hairline scratch and I'm always careful with my devices - it's not worth risking.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'm a person who uses a case on my 6 Plus. I am amused though, when I am out and I see people with their phones. The majority of people with iPhones appear to have a case on them, while the majority of those with other devices have no cases. Have we been brainwashed? :D

Yep.

That, and a good portion of the iPhone crowd are hyper-anal about cosmetic damage that simply doesn't bother most other people. I'm a firm believer in this, especially now that I've gone naked for almost 4 years. Stuff that would have bothered me a lot 4 years ago (a "microscratch" for example, that can only be seen at a certain angle, in a certain light) simply doesn't any more.

The scam here is the case itself. Not only is it not needed, but if people got as upset about the profit margins on the .30 piece of plastic "premium" cases they buy as they do over things like bank fees, we'd have a riot on our hands.

The case industry is genius really. Convince you that you need something you don't and then simultaneously convince you to spend $29.99 on something the literally costs 1/100th that for them to produce. Kudos to them, seriously.

I never had a case for ANY phone prior to the iPhone, and many phones were just as expensive (StarTAC? Remember those?). I've also never had a scratch that impacted viewing the screen even though I've NEVER used a protector in 4 years. Could it happen? Not through normal use. Through normal use you may get microscratches, but you won't see them when using the phone.

Apple got into cases because it hated seeing the sheep empty their wallets on case after case that WASN'T Apple branded. The original iPhone had NO mention of a case, neither did anything up to the 5 (ok, "bumpers" on the 4/4S). It was about MONEY, not because they think you need one, or designed it for one.

$45 for a strip of thin leather glued to plastic??? BRILLIANT

Buying it? Not so much

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Yep.

That, and a good portion of the iPhone crowd are hyper-anal about cosmetic damage that simply doesn't bother most other people. I'm a firm believer in this, especially now that I've gone naked for almost 4 years. Stuff that would have bothered me a lot 4 years ago (a "microscratch" for example, that can only be seen at a certain angle, in a certain light) simply doesn't any more.

The scam here is the case itself. Not only is it not needed, but if people got as upset about the profit margins on the .30 piece of plastic "premium" cases they buy as they do over things like bank fees, we'd have a riot on our hands.

The case industry is genius really. Convince you that you need something you don't and then simultaneously convince you to spend $29.99 on something the literally costs 1/100th that for them to produce. Kudos to them, seriously.

I never had a case for ANY phone prior to the iPhone, and many phones were just as expensive (StarTAC? Remember those?). I've also never had a scratch that impacted viewing the screen even though I've NEVER used a protector in 4 years. Could it happen? Not through normal use. Through normal use you may get microscratches, but you won't see them when using the phone.

Apple got into cases because it hated seeing the sheep empty their wallets on case after case that WASN'T Apple branded. The original iPhone had NO mention of a case, neither did anything up to the 5 (ok, "bumpers" on the 4/4S). It was about MONEY, not because they think you need one, or designed it for one.

$45 for a strip of thin leather glued to plastic??? BRILLIANT

Buying it? Not so much

I tend to agree. We buy the cases and screen protectors, and then AppleCare on top of it. We wrap the phone in so much protection so they don't get damaged, and then add insurance on top of it all. We iPhones owners sure are paranoid.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I am not a case user but I think it depends a lot on the person. I can't believe the way some people treat their phones. They toss them around, spin them around idly on any flat surface near them, keep them in pockets or bags with God knows what, not to mention dropping them all the time. These people in particular probably benefit from cases, as do people who are upright about minute scratches.

But I've never dropped a phone or any other piece of expensive equipment, and I am careful in general with how I handle them. Sure, you can't control everything and I might drop my phone tomorrow, but I do everything I can to avoid that. I prefer the look and feel of a phone with no case, and in particular can't stand anything that goes over the screen. 7 years, 6 iPhones and no scratches (at least that I could see).

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas

Same exact situation here, the silicone case is going back tomorrow, i have had it off my phone 2 days already. I don't know what I want :( lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.