Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I switched because:

1. STABILITY - OS X's stability is unmatched in the consumer OS world.

2. PERFORMANCE - Macs really do JUST WORK. Sure, there are issues here and there, but they take less time to fix than they would on a PC.

3. STYLE - Everyone knows Apple is an innovator of product design. Just look at the iMac, Mac mini, Powermac, Powerbook, iPod, etc.... There's something to be said about being able to work on a machine that both works well and looks fantastic.

4. COMMUNITY - Mac users are part of a worldwide cult. A cult that has answers to every problem, question, or concern about Apple and its products. There's something to be said about loyalty to a product because of both service and value.

5. SIMPLICITY - OS X is incredibly simple to use. Within 5 minutes, everything is ready to go. Intuitive GUI and accessibillity makes it shine.

Those are just a few reasons. Some are against Macs because of incompatability with gaming, etc. I would say the majority of Mac users are those who are creative, intelligent, and are not afraid of going against the grain. If you want to play games, buy a gaming console, or a gaming PC - that's what they're designed for, gaming. The Mac is designed for something on a much grander scale IMO.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
As a good example of why I switched to Apple my faith was reaffirmed whilst trying to install my HP printer on a XP laptop this weekend. It took me half an hour and a lot of swearing and throwing of things to get it working......when I first brought it I plugged it into my iMac and it started working.....maximum time spent installing.....roughly the 5 seconds it took me to plug the USB cable into the back of my Mac.

I have switched to Apple because......my doctor told me to for the sake of my health.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
if you try to do 6 things on a PC most likely windows will freak out and half of the applications will crash, windows may recover and not crash completely (this is new in XP) but still not a very good experince. MacOS is much more likely to do all the task, it may take whatever it takes depending on what hardware you have but it will do it, much better multitasking, Unix (in which OSX is based) was created for multitasking because it was built to be used my many users running different tasks, now with personal computers it more likely that is only one user running many tasks but the strenght of proper multitasking is there. Windows grew from the other extreme, it was mean for one user to run one task (win 3.1) , eventually the added multitasking but it has never been as good as unix imho.

ArcticFox

macrumors member
May 22, 2005
Newberg, OR
I'm switching because...

No Norton!
No seperate firewall!
A new experience
The power of Unix without the un-intuitive-ness of Linux
Tight integration between hardware and software
I want a second computer
Microsoft is greedy, and their programs are rediculously expensive
I don't want to be forced to buy the latest MS OS used because I can't afford it new
Dual processors? Sign me up

etc.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
I work as a web designer/developer and I am also a musician. I'm not entirely switching to mac but I plan on doing the creative stuff on it. Photoshop, Cubase, Video for Flash, and layout in Dreamweaver. On the winxp box I'll probably do the programming (Cold Fusion and Asp.net) and anything that must be done on IIS. I do plan on upgrading my php/mysql skills on the Mac.

It may sound nuts, but I find the Windows interface to be uninspiring. I switched over to PC sometime during system 7. Ever since OSX came out I knew it was only a matter of time until I moved back to mac at least partially. Mainly because it's unix based. Before we moved over entirely to windows at work we had a Sun Solaris box and it ran and ran and ran. It handled web and email and I swear it went over a year without a reboot or hickup (the bad part about this is that it would run so long without problems that when a problem came up we had to rummage through the manuals to relearn the unix commands because this thing just hummed away without human intervention).

I'm not a windows basher, my home built winxp box hums along (though it's always updated with patches, virus protection and spyware protection), it's just a very sterile environment to work in and just doesn't "feel" as good as a mac. When you spend alot of time in front of the screen I think it makes a difference. I feel it's a good career move as well, it will force me to keep up with my unix skills.

My Power Mac Dual 2.0 G5 shipped out tonight, the Dell 2005FPW and extra gig of ram are sitting in boxes in my home office, just need to pickup a second internal drive and the fun should begin Wednesday night.

Oh and the other thing...the Mac community I've missed that.

It's good to be back.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I feel sort of left out here.. I have never switched. The first mac I used was a Mac Plus. After that, for the last 18 years I have never layed my hands on a windows pc for more than 20 seconds.

Mac's all the way I say, I have never known anything else.

aussie_geek

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Not as clumsy or random as a blaster

ChemicalGeoff said:
I don't care what they say, my Power Mac WILL bring balance to the force...

No self-respecting jedi would use a PC.

An Apple is an elegant weapon for a more civilized age, not as clumsy or random as Windows.

PS/ I'm assuming you're sad cause it was the LAST star wars.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
jeffgtr said:
My Power Mac Dual 2.0 G5 shipped out tonight, the Dell 2005FPW and extra gig of ram are sitting in boxes in my home office, just need to pickup a second internal drive and the fun should begin Wednesday night.

Oh and the other thing...the Mac community I've missed that.

It's good to be back.

Then welcome back. It's the same for me, the community alone is a reason to switch, especially the one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.