Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Yet another who didn't notice

EricNau said:
Animated smileys would be nice.

On behalf of modem users - there's nothing more annoying than waiting 30-60 seconds for a page to load because a few goofballs throw 20 animated smileys in their posts. This is currently a very modem-friendly site.

I also never noticed about the question mark in the logo. Both ways, I think it's great. Though the question mark is overpowering now that I know it's there. ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Aarow said:
The bottom of the question mark is the nose, the seeds are the eyes. It's a weird looking mole, that's for sure.
That is hilarious! :D That's all I am going to see from now on.

jsalzer said:
On behalf of modem users - there's nothing more annoying than waiting 30-60 seconds for a page to load because a few goofballs throw 20 animated smileys in their posts. This is currently a very modem-friendly site.

I also never noticed about the question mark in the logo. Both ways, I think it's great. Though the question mark is overpowering now that I know it's there. ;)
Maybe...
It could be an option, to animate smileys or not. (just like displaying signatures is optional)
For those that disabled animation, the smiley would still show up, but it just wouldn't move.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Aarow said:
The bottom of the question mark is the nose, the seeds are the eyes. It's a weird looking mole, that's for sure.
WOW i never noticed that before....and now I can't get rid of it! now we need a knew logo........:rolleyes:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I would agree with those that want to keep the forums generally the same. Sometimes I am intrigued by other fancy forums, but after a while, they definitely become annoying. I much prefer MR's simple style that gets the job done and doesn't get in the way after a while.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
arn said:
unfortunately, I don't think we can enable it individually. it's all or nothing. And the main reason I didn't enable it was that I didn't like it.

That makes two of us. I find those little pop-up message previews really annoying and unnecessary.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I like animated smilies... only by people who make the effort to add them themselves.
band.gif

blinkingtext.gif

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Another vBulletin site I recently joined is http://www.panthershuddle.com/forum/... for whatever reason, they have ALL of the bells and whistles turned on: Images in sigs (which is BAD), a galaxy of smilies (many of which are animated), reputation (which Arn turned on VERY briefly a little while back... you can give "rep" to someone for a good post... or you can take it away for a bad one), custom user titles (contributors can specify their own titles), hovering previews of posts, etc.

However, doing all that makes the site MUCH less readable. And, their site only has about 10% of the traffic of this site.

I like things the way they are, although I do like the custom titles option.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I think we could use a little more color, but other than that I love the forum, and damn yes I see that damn Mole now, and I've always knows the question mark was there.

Anyways, color and a few more smilies (NOT animated) would be nice :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.