Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Pressure said:
Not going to happen. There haven't been any new graphic cards made specifically for the mobile segment that can replace the Mobility X1600.

We will most likely see a replacement when graphic chips move to 65nm process.

What are you talking about? There's the MR X1800, the MR X1800 XT, the GeForce Go 7800, Go 7800 GTX etc. etc.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
BlizzardBomb said:
What are you talking about? There's the MR X1800, the MR X1800 XT, the GeForce Go 7800, Go 7800 GTX etc. etc.

Aye, MR X1800 XT = instant buy from me. I went to a CompUSA today to look at the 17'' MBP and my wallet is ready to pounce as soon as a x1800 or go7800 gets put in.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Pressure said:
Not going to happen. There haven't been any new graphic cards made specifically for the mobile segment that can replace the Mobility X1600.

Pressure - your response was made with great authority - have you researched the mobile graphics card issue thoroughly???

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Pressure said:

lol... the x1600 gets swallowed whole by the geforce go 7800's

ryanx27

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
tekmoe said:
it's not just about merom. let's wait and see if the case gets a slight redesign such as magnetic latch, user replaceable hard drive, etc., etc.

EXACTLY.

I'm not sure that a Merom processor alone would be worth the 9-month upgrade wait, but Merom plus those (much) needed upgrades AND a better GPU certainly would be! If they just pop a Merom into the existing case, I may opt to save money and will buy the fastest 15" Core Duo MBP -- which will no doubt be discounted once Merom hits.

However, I definitely plan to wait for reviews of the Merom MBP. It could be that the real-world performance, heat, and battery life specs are better than what the pessimists are predicting. On the other hand, they could be right -- it may not make a noticeable difference.

In short, while I'm as feverishly awaiting Merom MBP's as anyone, it dosen't mean I'll rush out to buy one as soon as they're announced -- or even at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.