Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
When I close my iBook, most times it won't latch, and I have to push the display to the left for it to catch. The screen is very out of alignment with the body and I think that this is probably why it won't latch like it should. Short of replacing the hinges, are there any possible fixes for this?

Attachments

• 20170616_160212.jpg
    20170616_160212.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 272

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
i) Has it always been like this since you've had it, or has it recently received a shock, been dropped etc?
ii) Any signs of micro cracks or distress on or around the screen hinges7
iii) Holding the screen by both sides and rocking it (with elbows on the palmrest) is there any discernable movement?
iv) With the screen open, take a magnet and place it onto the metal latch inside the slot at the top of the screen. Does it pull the latch out?
It's also possible you have a displaced latch keeper in the centre of the palm rest. This happened on my G4 15" PowerBook, which after dismantling I was able to repair.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
-It's been like this since I got it, I haven't dropped it. Not sure about the previous owner though.
-No cracks around the hinges as far as I can tell
-There is considerable movement, especially on the right side.
-A magnet will pull out the latch.
-It seems like the hinge on the right side has something wrong with it, as the screen is slightly tilted to that side, and the screen 'pulls' to the right when it is closed.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
My armchair quarterback opinion is to take it apart and see if the hinges are bent or otherwise damaged. Granted that's easy for me to say, but taking apart white iBooks is one of my least favorite Macintosh jobs to do...

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I looked at the ifixit guides, and it looks like a PITA, but could it cause any problems that could have been fixed by a hinge replacement?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I looked at the ifixit guides, and it looks like a PITA, but could it cause any problems that could have been fixed by a hinge replacement?
Potentially, the Display or Inverter cable may be displaced as well, and can cause either to rip in the future.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
-It's been like this since I got it, I haven't dropped it. Not sure about the previous owner though.
-No cracks around the hinges as far as I can tell
-There is considerable movement, especially on the right side.
-A magnet will pull out the latch.
-It seems like the hinge on the right side has something wrong with it, as the screen is slightly tilted to that side, and the screen 'pulls' to the right when it is closed.

Considering the movement you've observed on right side of the screen, its possible that the screen attachment retaining screws have worked loose (Ref. iFixit step 41) and/or wear on the locating dowls, but more likely that there's some wear/distress between the clutch hinges and screen frame.
This is not an iBook that I've ever had to dismantle, and you rightly say its looks a PITA. I've just been detailing the iFix repair guide, and the procedure for screen removal looks quite difficult, and futher screen disassembly - if required to access clutch hinges, adds to the complexity.
I'd welcome the opportunity to assist in such a task, but such is the design and fragility of the locating tabs between the top and lower case, and also inverter/display cable displacement to get access to clutch hinges, that potential handling damage cannot be ruled out. Definitely not one of the more SAV user-friendly models.

Just for info, my iBook latches correctly and front edges are reasonably well aligned, with no discernable screen side movement, despite the fact that there's a difference in the gap between the right/left sides of hinge cover to top cover. Gap measured at 0.027" on left side, and 0.018" on right.

iBookG4lid.jpg iBookG4hinge2.jpg

iBook4hinge3.jpg

Attachments

• iBookG4hinge1.jpg
    iBookG4hinge1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.