Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Hi all I'm gonna fly OT here:

I have heard that the lower spec iBook is solid white plastic while the better one is clear plastic painted white on the inside (which sounds better).

Can someone (just one lol) clear this up for me?

Cheers,
AppleMatt

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
AppleMatt,

What you heard is correct. I have a iBook with clear plastic with the paint, and I have to admit it looks a LOT better than the solid white plastic. That is, however, just my opinion....

xenotek

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2003
Redwood City, CA
The skepticism is appreciated, Abstract. It's usually a good idea to take newbie info with a grain of salt, bu the info i got came directly from the horses mouth. On a slightly different note, it seems to me that the release of an updated iBook wouldn't come at the same time as a new PowerBook update. I could be wrong, but I don't remember Apple ever updating their entire laptop line in one fell swoop. Sorry to all of you PowerBook fans who have been drooling over the prospects of a 15.4 inch since february. Doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
ibook is due for the update...so it's not rocket science

but what one may suggest about all laptops being changed does not seem likely

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
MacWhispers has this....

We have been told that the plastic housings for both the eMac and iBook have "recently been slightly modified" and that "the new versions have been shipping for assembly for about three weeks."

AppleMatt

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well Xenotek, again I meant no offense, but everybody has a source, it seems. That's why there are sites entirely dedicated to rumours *cough* that contain information said to have been from a credible source. I'd say that you have a 50% chance of being right though. But again, it was an inevitability anyway. I hope he is though. That way I don't have to wait until June, the "other" rumoured date for these notebook updates.

Did your source mention anything about the specs, or anything about physical changes? I'd really liket to know. I hope they give us another option other than white. Its too hospital-sterilized clean, and has a bit of a wussy look. I realize that its only the outside of the notebook, but lets face it, a lot of people buy an iBook for it's looks, which may actually be a turnoff for a part of the market that dislikes the look. They may be able to gain more sales if they added a colour/tone that didn't make me scared of scuffing it. Give me grey, or a sophisticated dark/navy blue, or even a dark red. Something......anything is better than white to me.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
1. The $999 ibook (since the last introduction), has had different plastics than the rest of the line. The hinge is also white too. The palmrest is a more textured, ligher-colored plastic that feels a little sturdier. I believe apple did this just as a quaint little transition, similar to the plastics change on the old clamshell ibook when they went to smoother plastics.

2. Availability of the ibook on the apple store is at 3-5 days, changing out of nowhere on friday, distributors often take longer to clear their inventory. Since there is no particular jump in demand, they would not just run low on inventory unless it is intentional. I have heard from my own sources that this is definate when I asked. But I did not pull this idea from a rumor, but I have been at this game for quite some time, and the obvious flags are popping up all over. Wether it is a speedbump or just a feature update for things like AE or BT, who knows. But they will be replaced at the beggining of the week monday-wednesday.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by timbloom
1. The $999 ibook (since the last introduction), has had different plastics than the rest of the line. The hinge is also white too. The palmrest is a more textured, ligher-colored plastic that feels a little sturdier. I believe apple did this just as a quaint little transition, similar to the plastics change on the old clamshell ibook when they went to smoother plastics.
i think that plastic was cheaper, actually, an attempt to rather cut corners. the plastic on the 1300$ is more rigid, and translucent.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i think that plastic was cheaper, actually, an attempt to rather cut corners. the plastic on the 1300$ is more rigid, and translucent.

considering my ibook with the old plastic is scratched to hell and back, and the palm rest plastic is falling apart by itself, i think that I would welcome any change. I personally think the case plasics look nicer, since they are a solid white and not painted on the inside, if a little component scratches against that plastic it is like an etch-a-sketch and looks really bad.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by timbloom
considering my ibook with the old plastic is scratched to hell and back, and the palm rest plastic is falling apart by itself, i think that I would welcome any change. I personally think the case plasics look nicer, since they are a solid white and not painted on the inside, if a little component scratches against that plastic it is like an etch-a-sketch and looks really bad.
...which you can easily paint under without making it noticeable, i'm sure :p

personally, i think this is just you. i have a tibook, which i take to school almost every day, as well as many other places, and it's gotten 2 noticeable scratches on it, and only a few other very minor ones. i am careful, but not anal about it. scratching plastic id pretty outrageous to me :rolleyes:

i think that the $999 iBook plastic would end up just as bad in your hands :p

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
...which you can easily paint under without making it noticeable, i'm sure :p

i think that the $999 iBook plastic would end up just as bad in your hands :p

I actually ordered a lid for mine online, and painted that one, it was really cool, but when I started having bad problems with the actual machine, I slapped the old one back on and sent it into apple. But, if they use the new plastic on the machines they are going to start shipping next week, I am getting one, this 500 mhz just can't keep up anymore. I will let you all know how that one holds up to my use. the bad thing i notice about the one i have, is if you get a scratch, it will cast a shadow on the white paint underneath making it more noticable, and that wouldnt happen on a solid colored plastic. It scratches rather easily I would have to say right now. I am looking forward to my new machine, it is whatever $1299 model comes out. or the current 1299 one if it is not replaced.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
is it possible the ibooks will come out with a g4, if the 970 s will be put sometimes in the perhaps near future in the powermacs and powerbooks?
Would be cool.
Another possible upgrade may be the ddr ram, much faster, introduced in i think all the models apart emac and ibook till now...

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by maradong
is it possible the ibooks will come out with a g4, if the 970 s will be put sometimes in the perhaps near future in the powermacs and powerbooks?
Would be cool.
Another possible upgrade may be the ddr ram, much faster, introduced in i think all the models apart emac and ibook till now...

my personal belief is that we will not see g4's in them till the powerbooks go 970. The g3 is perfectly capable as a processor for these machines, after all it's age, it is still snappy. iBooks are for consumers that do not need to be encoding video and such, and by keeping with the g3, apple is able to keep the price down to a reasonable level, and the battery life strong. I forsee at least one upgrade cycle before g4s in the ibook.

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
I am in a weird spot.

I am getting a new computer for college in july or august.

I am considering an iMac or an iBook.

I dont think I can afford any powerbook, since I will have about $1500 to spend. I don't really want an eMac, unless they make them REALLY upgraded and hard to resist, or REALLY cheap. I have a 17' FP iMac at home now, and I just can't see going back to a CRT. I could afford a bottom end PowerMac, but I wouldn't be able to get a screen, so thats a no.

If the iBook is updated now, it won be updated again until probably november, so I will have to be satisfied by what they come up with now. It's fine, since I will mostly only use it for Appleworks, iTunes, and surfing. Probably some recording stuff too.

With the current lineup, I can't see getting an iMac. It is weird the way they have it set up. There is a gap. If I am going to be tied down to a desktop, I want a 17' screen like the one I have at home. They should make the superdrive a delete option on the mid-leve iMac. It would be a bonus to have one, but it would certianly be cheaper without one. Not everyone needs to burn dvds.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Either way, I will probably get the iBook, and since this is probably the last update until I buy, I hope they really make it good. Here is what I'd like to see:

1 ghz G3
256mb Ram in slot one, standard (none of this 128 crap! What is this, 2001?), upgradeable to 768 or something.

That would be good enough to get me to buy it. A case update would be cool too, although the current one is cool.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
you know, macworld gave the imac 17" five mice...only $1799 us

pricewise, with the 15" inch being $500 less, i would then give that computer five mice, too

how much do you really need to be mobile?

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jefhatfield
you know, macworld gave the imac 17" five mice...only $1799 us

pricewise, with the 15" inch being $500 less, i would then give that computer five mice, too

how much do you really need to be mobile?

Its not really a need to be mobile, more of a want to be mobile.
If I had $1799 (or $1699 with the edu discount), it would be between the 12pb and the 17 iMac. I dunno, mabye I can squeeze some more money for the 17in iMac. But I am still having a difficult time, because I like the idea of being able to take my computer with me. But then again, how often will I need/want to do that? Arrg... I wish I had $10,000. Then I would buy a Pmac, and a Pbook.

Oh well, I will just have to wait and see whats available in july.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Groovsonic
Its not really a need to be mobile, more of a want to be mobile.
If I had $1799 (or $1699 with the edu discount), it would be between the 12pb and the 17 iMac. I dunno, mabye I can squeeze some more money for the 17in iMac. But I am still having a difficult time, because I like the idea of being able to take my computer with me. But then again, how often will I need/want to do that? Arrg... I wish I had $10,000. Then I would buy a Pmac, and a Pbook.

Oh well, I will just have to wait and see whats available in july.

the 12" powerbook is also available for $1699 from the apple education store, you might look into that option, if you can raise an extra $200 from your original price range.

rastalin94

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2002
If I was going to college right now I would get a laptop. If you get a desktop you have to be in your room to do work, and if your first year is in a dorm, you just might now want to do your homework there. At least here, Univeristy of Illiois area, a lot of places are starting to have Wireless Access. Now where would you want to do your homework - in a small dorm room, or at a nice coffee shop while still being able to browse the Web for class info, checking email, and chating.

I would say go with the 14" version, but that is just a personal thing, the 12" is just too small for me.

Now if you wanted to do hard core graphics, or make DVD's that would be a different story, but for light baisc college use go with the iBook.

You never know some one might want to come talk to you at the coffeeshop because of your sexy technology :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by rastalin94
If I was going to college right now I would get a laptop. If you get a desktop you have to be in your room to do work, and if your first year is in a dorm, you just might now want to do your homework there. At least here, Univeristy of Illiois area, a lot of places are starting to have Wireless Access. Now where would you want to do your homework - in a small dorm room, or at a nice coffee shop while still being able to browse the Web for class info, checking email, and chating.

now i didn't think of that

i lived in the dorms on campus and in off campus student housing for my second and part of my third year in college...i never did homework in an area like a dorm or off campus housing...too many distractions...needless to say, in those three years of college, i was a C student

of course, when i went to school two decades ago, they didn't have laptops, but the freedom one gives you to do your work away from student distractions like parties and school events will help you focus and hopefully give you better grades

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.