Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jonathan Zufi, who runs the Shrine of Apple website, has spent the last several years collecting and photographing Apple's huge array of products, from rare releases to everyday items. He's amassed 150,000 photos, 650 of which will appear in his new 326-page book, "Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation."

iconic.jpg
Zufi interviewed with The Wall Street Journal, where he described how he purchased more than 500 Apple items and traveled across the country to photograph prototypes and other rare products.
"I wanted to create a repository where people who also love the company and its products could go and reminisce," says Mr. Zufi, a mobility expert at SAP America Inc. who says he has never worked for Apple Inc. The idea, he says, was to trace the company's evolution both in electronics and design from a user's point of view. "I want people who are a bit younger who think Apple just makes things that start with "i" to know this company used to make clunky printers."
The book includes photographs of rare Apple products like the Apple II, a circuit board from the Apple I, the "Flower Power" iMac G3, and an Apple Lisa 2. It also features more modern products like iPods, and also offers an entire chapter on packaging. The book has little text, but it does offer forewords and introductions from original Apple employees like Daniel Kottke and Steve Wozniak.

iconic2.jpg
"Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation" is self-published and can be purchased on the website dedicated to the book. There are two versions, a classic edition that retails for $75 and a $300 special edition that includes a cover designed to mimic the vintage Apple form factor.

Article Link: 'Iconic' Coffee Table Book Offers 650 Photographs of Apple Products

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Oops, I'm in the wrong place!:eek:

I saw the word "coffee", and...well... never mind.:p

Nice book for those with a REALLY intense interest in Apple stuff.:D

$75 for pictures of electronic stuff!?:eek:

Last edited:

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I wonder if he has a digital archive of individual "product shots" for all these products too? That is something I'd love to see on everymac.com and similar sites. Some of the older stuff is hard to find in decent resolution.

CruiseToGo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I had credit card in hand to order this, decided to wait see if any promos are offered. Besides, I could already see my kids ripping the pages out saying "look at the pretty colored things"

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Would love it to be on iBooks as well, but this really strikes me as the kind of thing that is best seen in physical form.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
This has to be a joke...

Nah. A little on the pricey side though. $75 is more than I'd pay for a coffee table book. $40 and I'd probably order one.

I wouldn't buy the $300 special edition, but that beige plastic case sure gives me memories of growing up with Apple ]['s in the school labs!

Last edited:

NJTidus

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
graphic attractive

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Jonathan Zufi, who runs the Shrine of Apple website, has spent the last several years collecting and photographing Apple's huge array of products, from rare releases to everyday items. He's amassed 150,000 photos, 650 of which will appear in his new 326-page book, "Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation."

Zufi interviewed with The Wall Street Journal, where he described how he purchased more than 500 Apple items and traveled across the country to photograph prototypes and other rare products.The book includes photographs of rare Apple products like the Apple II, a circuit board from the Apple I, the "Flower Power" iMac G3, and an Apple Lisa 2. It also features more modern products like iPods, and also offers an entire chapter on packaging. The book has little text, but it does offer forewords and introductions from original Apple employees like Daniel Kottke and Steve Wozniak.

"Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation" is self-published and can be purchased on the website dedicated to the book. There are two versions, a classic edition that retails for $75 and a $300 special edition that includes a cover designed to mimic the vintage Apple form factor.

Article Link: 'Iconic' Coffee Table Book Offers 650 Photographs of Apple Products

Wow... Does this problem collect all apple's product image, just like a album? I love the icon design in each page. Love it !

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'd really like to be able to see a large percentage of those 150,000 photos online. The site has a lot of pictures but only a small fraction of what must have been amassed.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
This has to be a joke...

Not really. As a designer I see a lot of value on this book. Apple is my computer of choice for over 20 years. Looking back at some of the iconic designs for sure is interesting. I just wished this was an official Apple publication to give a more in depth view and maybe some hidden treasures.
Either way I will eventually order one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.