Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
..What case do you carry it around in?

Lately i've been carrying mine around in this: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad(In Black)

However am not that big of a fan. I've heard both great and bad reviews on Apple's own case so i'm on the fence on that one; though I'm very interested in a case along the same lines.

I just don't wanna scream out that I'm carrying around an iPad but do want the functionality of propping it like this: http://teentechblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ipad-case.png

...Yet have to admit that when i'm @ home it feels great to hold it naked. (The iPad, not me :p)

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Well I have the apple case.

It's nice , but I usually have it in a bag too as I carry a laptop with me as well.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Well I have the apple case.

It's nice , but I usually have it in a bag too as I carry a laptop with me as well.

Ahhh

I've been doing the same as well, carrying that Griffin Passport Elan in my InCase backpack that has my MBP too. Though recently have realized I can get by w/ just the iPad and leave the MBP @ home too, hence leave the InCase backpack at home too.

FirefighterTim

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
If you're really using your ipad everywhere...modulR

Look, I appreciate the marketing schtick, and it sounds nice, but I've found that a leather binder doesn't really do any thing more than make your iPad look like a book. We've been using the modulR case system for a little over 2 months now, and a leather bound book it ain't. It's very utilitarian, it protects the ipad, and the anchors that come out of the back of the case connect your ipad to a desk top stand, wall mount, and shoulder strap (we love this most of all, officers use it to carry iPad while doing fire code inspections or hydrant testing. Looks like a professional tool, Lots of people are pleasantly suprised to see it's an iPad!) Word is they've got a car mount/cabinet mount coming, so I've definately found what I think is the best out there, not pretty, but very, very useful!

pm41m

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
@FirefighterTim: I thought that the Modular shoulder strap hadn't been released yet. Are you using the official straps or homemade ones?

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
My micheal Jordan duffle bag from footlocker and my incase neoprene case... That's about it...

Perihelion

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
I have the Apple case and keep it in my messenger bag or backpack as I'm out and about. I like the Apple case because its thin and works as a multiposition stand. The thin profile lets me get lots of other stuff in the bag.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I use the Apple case, but I'm leaning towards the new Hard Candy Cases Candy Convertible. It's more or less an exact copy of the Apple case, but made in another material. Hopefully it doesn't attract dust. Haven't seen any reviews, still on the fence...:rolleyes:

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Eagle Creek Travel Bug Daypack from REI http://www.rei.com/product/773423

Marware Ecovue case for iPad. When I'm traveling, I use the same bag but also toss the Apple bluetooth keyboard in there (it's in a Waterfield Designs keyboard socket)

Bag's got a TON of pockets, which I love... I like everything having its own pocket :D

Edit: I see me buying an Apple Case in the future to tote in the same Eagle Creek pack -- the Marware is nice and padded, but it is pretty chunky and the magnets interfere w/the compass.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Timbuk2 D-Lux Messenger & Marware Eco View
Bought D-Luxto carry my MBP, but use it with my Ipad just as much because with the extra room I can carry AC adapters, camera gear, books, mags, etc...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
For the most part I have been carrying my iPad in the Apple case in my Portable Muzetto bag or in other bags I have that are large enough to carry it. Recently I've been tucking the iPad into a RadTech RadSleevz and have found that it then fits into slightly smaller bags as well as my faithful Muzetto....whenever I leave the house my iPad goes with me.

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
Since launch have used the Apple case and as soon as it was available, the Waterfield Exo case. Going out - use Timbuk2 (small) classic but am considering a Waterfield Cargo since i often need a handle on my Messenger bags.

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
Apple case or CyberAcoustics leather folio in a Timbuk2 netbook messenger bag XS in black. For suit days I use a slim black Cole Haan leather briefcase.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
I actually bought a very nice netbook case to carry mine. It fits perfectly and has an extra pouch for a check book, pen, stylus, USB adapter for charging and a cloth to wipe it down. The best part about the case is that it is padded with a soft material on the inside and it only cost me $15.00. Basically it is almost identical to some 3rd party iPad cases except it is about 1/2" bigger all around to compensate for the extra thickness of a netbook. I believe Swissgear made the case.

I love this case and it is thick enough with decent padding where I actually think I could drop it and it would be fine. Of course I don't really want to test this but it feels a heck of a lot safer then most iPad cases.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My most recent case has been the Chinao and although it is my favorite case that I have purchased, I still want more features.

I like the portfolio case because it gives me a couple of viewing angles and it is a lot easier to grip than a naked iPad. I really don't think I could handle a naked iPad...I would need at least a TPU case or something for added grip.

The chinao protects the iPad enough that I am just able to put it in my bag without worrying too much about it. I can put my keys, wallet, cables, cellphone and whatever else I might need in with it and not have to worry about those things somehow damaging it.

However, I don't carry my iPad out of the house unless I'm going to need it because I hate bringing out my bag that is big enough to carry it.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
My iPad is naked at home; only when it leaves the house is it tucked into a bag for protection and ease of carrying. Just makes good common sense to me.....

@ home I have mine naked with the exception of a Zagg Invisible Shield and also a Tan Zagg Leatherskin for the back. I love the nake feel, however have recently been thinking about getting a Yoobao or Apple type of case that'll allow me to angle it for typing.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
@ home I have mine naked with the exception of a Zagg Invisible Shield and also a Tan Zagg Leatherskin for the back. I love the nake feel, however have recently been thinking about getting a Yoobao or Apple type of case that'll allow me to angle it for typing.

Sorry, but IMHO that's not "naked," then, if it's got a Zagg Invisible Shield and a Zagg Leatherskin something-or-other on the back.

My iPad is genuinely, truly naked, so that my fingers can fully appreciate the feel of the glass surface and the aluminum surface, just the way it came in the box, the way Apple intended.....

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Sorry, but IMHO that's not "naked," then, if it's got a Zagg Invisible Shield and a Zagg Leatherskin something-or-other on the back.

My iPad is genuinely, truly naked, so that my fingers can fully appreciate the feel of the glass surface and the aluminum surface, just the way it came in the box, the way Apple intended.....

Yes, you're right, yours is truly naked. In its original birthday suit. Mine is wearing a thin layer of lingerie.

I'm wondering if you've had it naked and no marks or wear and tear exist? I personally had it naked for a week and loved it, however am glad I purchased the invisibleshield screen protector considering I have a 2 yr old son who watchies spongebon on netflix all the time and one day wrote on the ipad with a pen..luckily only on the screen protector itself, with zagg sending me a replacement.

As for the leatherskin, I got it on a whim one day seeing as I needed some sort of grip for holding the ipad hours on end reading an ibook.

I almost bit the bullet yesterday ready to purchase the apple case for the ipad however am now considering the yoobao slim leather one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.