Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Is it really jury rigged? Always thought it was jerry rigged.
It is Jerry Rigged and referred to German makeshift repairs due to lack of spare parts during the world wars . The Germans were called Jerries. It has been corrupted since then and confused with Jury Rigging which refers to tampering with a legal Jury to affect the outcome.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
For the love of God, stop squinting! Yeah she's cute, but I can't watch for more than 20 seconds without looking away and just listening to the techy content.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Is it really jury rigged? Always thought it was jerry rigged.

Jury-rigged is correct, derived from the unusual way the rigging was configured on a ships jury mast hundreds of years ago. Jerry bulilt is what it often gets confused with, meaning that it was built poorly.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
looks like the ipad 3's connector ribbon is cheaper to make than the 2 with the 2's fancier end connector. And 3 would seem to be slightly harder to repair if you have to replace a screen yourself...

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
...why would she want a retina television set? She just rambles stuff: talks about how the screen held further away negates the need for higher resolution, then says that about the TV... you won't be using any more pixels than a 1080, anyway. Unless you hook a computer to the TV.

4K TV is just around the corner.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Does the API already support hi-res or will I have to wait months after release for my apps to take advantage?

I know. Old post.

The API for retina displays is already in place.

This might be the reason that developers have not seen another beta since January 9th.

It's already known how to deal with retina images, artwork and textures.
There doesn't have to be any lead time to adapt applications.

Unless there's some hardware feature that is kept secret ... which I honestly don't believe.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Jury-rigged is correct, derived from the unusual way the rigging was configured on a ships jury mast hundreds of years ago. Jerry bulilt is what it often gets confused with, meaning that it was built poorly.

They both are correct and they both mean the same thing. Stop relying on wikipedia for your info.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I wish people would stop diluting the "retina" term. Retina requires a density of 300 or higher, per the great Steve himself. I don't care if the distance is greater for the iPad. Guess what, my viewing distance to my TV is about 6 feet and I can't see those individual pixels from that distance. Does that make it a "retina" display?

It’s not just PPI….. it’s PPI + viewing distance.

Here’s how Steve explained it at the keynote:

Q1WdE.jpg

I’m assuming Apple thinks phones should be held 10-12 inches from your face… and tablets 15-18 inches from your face.

But whether the new iPad is labeled “Retina” or not… 2048×1536 will look amazing. It will be a much appreciated improvement.

thai4life

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've been with iphone since day one but every year for the past couple years around this "eminent announcement" drama time period I start to consider my Android options. I mean SERIOUSLY consider them (can you say Samsung Note!). The whole veil of secrecy thing with Apple was kinda cool at first. Now it's just starting to piss me off. The 4S was the first time I didn't upgrade. And I have a feeling there are legions like me who didn't upgrade either. Don't care how much money they're making, the faithful are becoming a bit weary and less tolerant of these half-step upgrades. iPad 3 and iPhone 6 (or "5" or "Pro" or whatever the hell they wanna call it) better REVOLUTIONIZE because the evolutionary thing has gotten lame!!!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
TL;DW?

That's the running "joke" in the video: that nothing is confirmed, and that the entire thing is "one giant well-educated guess."

Yeah, sorry, didn't clarify. Talking about MR, not iFixIt. In the video, they do the silly "air quotes" (which they should,) but whenever MR articles talk about it, they say it like it's a confirmed fact, not a (very likely, true,) rumor.

Stoobs

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
Surely that's a perfect chance to whip out your logic probe and work out which lines are which and get it powered up?

Since when did non-matching connectors stop a proper hardware geek? ;)

melissajenna

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Shell Beach, CA
Yeah, sorry, didn't clarify. Talking about MR, not iFixIt. In the video, they do the silly "air quotes" (which they should,) but whenever MR articles talk about it, they say it like it's a confirmed fact, not a (very likely, true,) rumor.

Ahhh, gotcha. I shouldn't have assumed the worst anyhow. We (that's me in the video) are extra careful not to "confirm" things that are not confirmable by us. Sure, it's probably true, but it's not our business to say one way or there other if it is. Sorry for jumping to conclusions! <3

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Surely that's a perfect chance to whip out your logic probe and work out which lines are which and get it powered up?

Since when did non-matching connectors stop a proper hardware geek? ;)

"non-matching connectors" ... Haha ;) What did you just think about ;)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Moderator Note

Please keep the off topic discussion regarding MJ out of this thread. If you wish to discuss the presenter of this video in a tastefull, non disrespectful manner, please open a new thread in Community discussion.

Going forward, warnings will be issued for diving into this OT subject within this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Acerone

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
So the iPad 3 picture will look better then a Blu-ray? If thats the case I can't wait for the Apple TV...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.